Bike Covers

willw
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Bike Covers

#1 Unread post by willw »

Just wondering. Getting my first bike this year but have no garage to baby it. So, I had been thinking of getting a storage unit for it but started wondering if just covering it with a good quality cover should be enough to keep it in good shape from the elements.

I live in an area that gets a lot of snow (Vermont) and plan on getting the storage unit throughout the off season, but during the riding season?

I don't care what I spend on the cover as long as it is worth the price. Any suggestions? If it matters, I'm planning on a cruiser.
www.sportshak.com

Sicko
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by Sicko »

A cover is no replacement for inside storage but check out this one. It's kinda pricey but claims to be the best.

http://www.beverlybay.com/store/custome ... =75&page=1

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#3 Unread post by scan »

I have no garage, and have been on three years with my ZRX. I store it outside in the winter as well (Central Ohio). My wife, Loonette, also stores her bike outside all year round. We use Dowco covers. I would myself prefer and recomend a garage, but if you are like us and don't have a better option, they are machines after all. We want to treat them like our babies, but they are pretty tough really. Keep them as clean and dry as you can, and don't let them be dormant without being run for too long, and you should be fine.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

Fathertork
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by Fathertork »

You may wish to look at this setup. A friend has this for a trike and workes pretty good.
http://www.thebikebarn.net/
06 FLHTCI Classic

tortus
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by tortus »

Fathertork wrote:You may wish to look at this setup. A friend has this for a trike and workes pretty good.
That's pretty cool. But is it really any more beneficial than a standard cover?

I don't have a garage either, but I do have covered car port parking. That should prove pretty decent.

Fathertork
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by Fathertork »

If you have a carport, a regular cover should be just fine.
06 FLHTCI Classic

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Shorts »

Fathertork wrote:You may wish to look at this setup. A friend has this for a trike and workes pretty good.
We have a bike barn and we kept the Kawasaki in it this winter. It did really well considering how cold, wet and frozen things got. We also stored the Ducati in there for a few weeks and no problems. It keeps the wind out too. If your place gets windy, I suggest securing it down at all 4 corners, it will move if it isn't (ask me how I know). Ours just several nights ago was not 'locked'to the base brackets with the cotter pins on the open end like normal and that end got pushed over a bit.

After a moderate-big snow, I'd go out back to shovel the deck and remove the snow from the bike barn. Just a little preventative maintenance is all.

Luckily I'm small enough that when the weather was iffy, I'd go out there and get under the bike barn and close it. I could work on the bike and not get wet or rained on, and the bike didn't either. Of course, there is NOT a lot of wiggle room and like I said, I'm small lol

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#8 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Just take more care of protecting your bike. Frequent washes and waxing it when you have the chance. Put something on all metal parts except the brake rotors to prevent rust. Keep a good cover on, never cover a wet bike and secure it so it doesn't blow off.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

BlueBomber
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by BlueBomber »

I was going to suggest one of these.

\/\/
Suzuki Boulevard M50 - Bright Blue

t_bonee
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#10 Unread post by t_bonee »

I didn't have a garage until about a month ago. I used a good quality cover and rode a few time through the winter. It worked out fine.

Shameless plug below.

Check this out, if interested.

viewtopic.php?t=21184
A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time. Are we in this country becoming like the dog?