Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#31 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

A foreigner's point of view . . .

A casual look at DOT statistics in my country indicate that, when it comes to road user fatalities, the highest number of, er, "contributions" (sorry about the english) comes from pedestrians. Motorcyclists only contribute 1%.

And in general, most injuries/fatalities occur in and around the home.

The "taxpayer money/healthcare" argument does have a point, but if we were to follow it to it's logical end, it gives the government the right to regulate, say, helmet use while taking a bath, or fixing the roof, or indeed, crossing the street. Sounds silly, but statistically speaking, it would make more sense where i live than helmet regulation.

Anyway, laws aside, the only time I don't ride without a helmet is when i run out to "repark" the car from the street to my garage.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#32 Unread post by Sev »

Even if I wasn't required to wear one, I'd still do it.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#33 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I'm in favor of wearing a helmet because I love my higher reasoning.

I wear a full face helmet b/c I like having my mandible and thus, chewing my food.

I endorse helmet laws because I'm an EMT and I've seen plenty of cases where someone would either still be alive or have had alot less trauma.

I've also seen the insurance figures and calculations that two major insurance companies use to calculate costs in states with and without helmet laws. They also take into consideration areas in states with helmet laws that border states without these laws. It's fairly alarming.

I was only privy to this information as my Uncle was a Senior VP at one company 10 years ago and the chairman of the other now. He's the same guy who was asked to testify on behalf of the insurance industry back in the 90's when Michigan was reconsidering it's helmet law. I used to have the link handy to the transcript but you can find him from this statement.

State Senator: "The research that I've seen proves that riders with helmets have a higher rate of serious injury in accidents over 35mph than those without"

His response: "Then maybe you should be considering a law allowing riders to remove their helmets above 35mph." :laughing:

Apparently he couldn't help himself and had to state the obvious. He also likes to say that riding like your invisible is a crappy idea. You need to know that every car can see you, they're just trying their damnedest to kill you!
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#34 Unread post by flynrider »

storysunfolding wrote: I endorse helmet laws because I'm an EMT and I've seen plenty of cases where someone would either still be alive or have had alot less trauma.
My next door neighbor is an EMT. He endorses the banning of motorcycles altogether for exactly the same reason (and never fails to remind me of his opinion on a regular basis).

It all comes down to how far one is willing to go to control his neighbor's activities, in the name of protecting them from themselves.

BTW- I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread, but I (voluntarily) wear a brain bucket on about 99% of my rides.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

Murph
Rookie
Rookie

#35 Unread post by Murph »

I chose No only because I think it should be a personal decision. I personally wear a helmet, even when my friends don't wear theirs. I use to not wear one, but i recently decided to buy a DOT helmet I really liked so I could wear it all the time. I don't want to get seriously injuried because I wasn't wearing a helmet. I still think it should be a person's choice to wear one or not.
Ride for the Pleasure, not the looks

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#36 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I wear a full face helmet. It saved the back of my head in my collision. Now I need a new helmet....this one got cracked from the impact.

It takes only a split second to go from glorious freedom and enjoyment to being in a facility due to brain injury. I don't care to take that chance.

Sicko
Elite
Elite

#37 Unread post by Sicko »

Why don't they make a full body helmet? Broken spinal cords and internal trauma ain't no fun either. 8)

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#38 Unread post by Scott58 »

I vote no. No one should care what some one else does. It doesn't effect you one way or another. Most of the time I wear a helmet sometimes i don't. My choice. It doesn't effect your insurance. insurance in helmet law states is just as expensive as those who don't and it's cheaper to die anyway. case in point My cousin (who was in full gear) died when an elderly guy pulled out in front of him. Cost of burial $15,000. My brother who was wearing a seat belt in a car hit by a drunk lived and on going medical stuff is at $150,000 to date. It's just about people enjoying telling others what to do. maybe we should all wear uniforms with little arm bands. Wouldn't that just be great.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

NightNurse
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#39 Unread post by NightNurse »

I voted no. I think it should be a personal choice.

I wear a 3/4 helmet. I have a full face one, and felt claustraphobic, and couldnt concentrate on riding :/. Maybe I will shop for another one. My boyfriend only wears a helmet when its raining or cold. I always wear one, I dont always like that fact that he doesn't. But bugging him about it, isnt going to make him wear one.

NightNurse
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#40 Unread post by NightNurse »

p.s. I feel the exact same way about seatbelt laws. It should be a personal choice...