Bike Covers

willw
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by willw »

Fathertork wrote:You may wish to look at this setup. A friend has this for a trike and workes pretty good.
http://www.thebikebarn.net/
Thanks. I saw that in a magazine once and was really interested. I live in Vermont, where the weather gets really cold and snowy. It may just do.
At least in summer. With my winters, I may still need to spring for part-time storage facility.

Thanks for the responses.
www.sportshak.com

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#12 Unread post by jonnythan »

I'm not sure that thing would stand up to several feet of snow.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#13 Unread post by Shorts »

jonnythan wrote:I'm not sure that thing would stand up to several feet of snow.
It will. As I said in my post, be proactive with the preventative maintenance and brush the snow off the top. Also, put it on a floor. I built one and it's worked great.

As for the snow piling up around the side, that too was no problem. (remember, I'm in northen japan)

Duane
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#14 Unread post by Duane »

I'm sold on the bike barn.

What about the flooring, is it worth picking up? I don't have a driveway or anything so I will be turning a part of the front yard into a place to park the bike. I'm just not comfortable with leaving it on the street. So currently there are just weeds that I plan to dig up but I'm not sure on the best way to make a more sold, stable ground for the bike. Do you all think their flooring would be sufficient?

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#15 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Screw that, put down some concrete, bolt the thing to the ground and call it a day!
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Duane
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#16 Unread post by Duane »

storysunfolding wrote:Screw that, put down some concrete, bolt the thing to the ground and call it a day!
Unfortunately its a rental, cant afford to buy a house with property in this damn city. So I'm trying to find something less permanent. I was thinking laying down bricks that I could dig up whenever we decided to move again but then I saw this bike barn floor.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#17 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Maybe a sheet of treated plywood then. Less permanent and tossable. Easier to move either way compared to brick. As long as you don't kill the landlords grass that might be the best way... still easy to bolt the barn down to it. If shorts recommends securing it, I'd make it a priority in the surface I was considering
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Fathertork
Elite
Elite

#18 Unread post by Fathertork »

Rental could cause a problem.
The fellow I know with one dug a base in his lawn, put some traffic bind (finely crushed stone) and build a floor with decking boards secured to that. Barn is then fastened to it with lag bolts.
The flooring they provided is ruubber squares which snap together and are supposed to prevent the bike from condensation.

Maybe your landlord would allow this if you promissed to re-sod when you move.
06 FLHTCI Classic