NEWBIE here im young and my parents think im dumb. HELP

Damian
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 1994/Honda/Magna

#11 Unread post by Damian »

Maybe we can agree that an ex250 is great, but isn't for absolutely everyone?
gfisha32188 wrote:
Damian wrote:I'd also suggest getting a used bike that you can pay cash for. There are probably only a handful of good reasons for a teenager to get into debt, and a new motorcycle is not one of them.

Are you planning on working on it yourself? Do you have gear? Gas money? Those will be some added expenses that you may not have considered yet.
I dont have gear but I can get and what do you mean by working on it you're self? If I can do a easy fix than sure but I dont know the mechanics of a bike that well.
I was just talking about things like drive chain replacement, carb cleaning, oil changes and other routine stuff. If you can do them yourself you'll be saving a lot of money, but if not, it can cost big $$. Just another expense to plan for is what I was saying.
1994 Suzuki Katana 600
1994 Honda Magna 750

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: FZ6

Re: aye

#12 Unread post by intotherain »

storysunfolding wrote:
gfisha32188 wrote:Aye uhh thats great and all how much will a ninja 650 R run me used? Are they hard to up keep? * Are they relieable? Can you keep them outa the shop?*

Thanks ~ gabriel.
They are a newer bike so they are harder to find used. I'd say easily about $4k. They aren't that hard to keep up if you can do the maintenance yourself and they will stay out of the shop as long as you take care of them. I think overall kawasaki makes a fairly reliable bike.

What he means by working on it yourself is can you diagnose what's wrong with your bike and fix it. Do you have a set of sockets and other tools? Wrenches? Torque wrench? Screw Drivers? etc

Speaking of gear, how much do you have budgeted? You'll want a helmet, jacket boots and gloves at the very least. That will easily cost $500 if not much more.
Do 650Rs really go as low as 4,000? The lowest I've seen them is around 5,500. If they do I'll keep my eye out on one because it's in my price range for my new bike.

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#13 Unread post by intotherain »

don't wanna start anything in someone's post
Last edited by intotherain on Mon May 07, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#14 Unread post by Shorts »

intotherain wrote:
Let him speak his opinions and you can speak yours, theres no right or wrong and there's no need to tell anyone that they don't know what they are doing.

Considering story was told "to get more experience", you're jumping on the wrong guy.

As for the OP, if it were myself, I would save as much cash in hand and find a used bike for sale. I think Nalian said that one best, especially due to the what insurance will run you for a new bike. I like buying used, and prefer it to new due to the financing and junk. Ofcourse, it'd be nice to walk in and drop cash on a new bike and to heck with all the financing paperwork!

Anyway, I think a nice 250/500 and possibly the 650R would do fine. If you're in high school, I don't think I'd want to tempt fate or any possible enemies or jerks by bringing a new bike/care to the parking lot. I remmber those days and lots of people who made enemies had keyed cars and random other vandalized damage. Some people just did it it of spite because it was a nice new car! Definitely I'd feel better if it was a used bike rather than my brand new a baby.

Anyway, take your time, stay patient and find the right bike. You did a great job on your gpa getting your grades up. That's awesome work and shows you're dedicated and willing to work hard. Keep it up, there definitely needs to be more good hardworkin' people in this world. And its refreshing to see a younger one doing it :) Good on your mom for compromising and understanding, and also for the willingness to help financially.

I think you have yourself in a good solid position to get to riding and to have your mom/family's support. That is excellent! All you should do is stay patient and stay smart in finalizing the rest of the decisions 8)

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#15 Unread post by intotherain »

If you get a 600CC super sport you're going to be paying well over 2,000 a year. My insurance costs about 240/year on my 200cc right now will full coverage and I (for fun) checked how much the insurance would be with a R6 and a R1 and it would of been around $2,000/year and $4,000/year, and I've had my license for half a year before I went to the AAA office.

Just letting you know..

darsek
Elite
Elite

#16 Unread post by darsek »

How about saving up and buying your friends 250, he doesn't like it anyway! :D

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#17 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Save up and wait until next year. You have your whole life ahead of you so waiting another year is probably a good thing.

deejake
Regular
Regular

#18 Unread post by deejake »

Hey i remember this guy from a few months ago...some people got pissed at you so you decided to make a new username? :lol: :lol: "I will take my bibble in the dark....and thats how i will see everything from now on." :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

gfisha32188
Rookie
Rookie

#19 Unread post by gfisha32188 »

Shorts wrote:
intotherain wrote:
Let him speak his opinions and you can speak yours, theres no right or wrong and there's no need to tell anyone that they don't know what they are doing.

Considering story was told "to get more experience", you're jumping on the wrong guy.

As for the OP, if it were myself, I would save as much cash in hand and find a used bike for sale. I think Nalian said that one best, especially due to the what insurance will run you for a new bike. I like buying used, and prefer it to new due to the financing and junk. Ofcourse, it'd be nice to walk in and drop cash on a new bike and to heck with all the financing paperwork!

Anyway, I think a nice 250/500 and possibly the 650R would do fine. If you're in high school, I don't think I'd want to tempt fate or any possible enemies or jerks by bringing a new bike/care to the parking lot. I remmber those days and lots of people who made enemies had keyed cars and random other vandalized damage. Some people just did it it of spite because it was a nice new car! Definitely I'd feel better if it was a used bike rather than my brand new a baby.

Anyway, take your time, stay patient and find the right bike. You did a great job on your gpa getting your grades up. That's awesome work and shows you're dedicated and willing to work hard. Keep it up, there definitely needs to be more good hardworkin' people in this world. And its refreshing to see a younger one doing it :) Good on your mom for compromising and understanding, and also for the willingness to help financially.

I think you have yourself in a good solid position to get to riding and to have your mom/family's support. That is excellent! All you should do is stay patient and stay smart in finalizing the rest of the decisions 8)
Wow thanks for the great reply, and yes my mom kinda supports me. Her quote was " I would rather see you die smart than dumb" in case any one would like to use it lol.. Thinking of making a bumper sticker X D
mmmk Gabrielfish@aol.com = email.

gfisha32188
Rookie
Rookie

#20 Unread post by gfisha32188 »

deejake wrote:Hey i remember this guy from a few months ago...some people got pissed at you so you decided to make a new username? :lol: :lol: "I will take my bibble in the dark....and thats how i will see everything from now on." :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
haha yeah thats me. People didn't get pissed at me my old Email is "messed" and I forgot my pass. I am getting smarter with my decisions and what not. I can now live with the fact it might be a year till I get my bike.
mmmk Gabrielfish@aol.com = email.