Question about 600cc sport bikes

day1yun
Rookie
Rookie

Question about 600cc sport bikes

#1 Unread post by day1yun »

Which bike out of the following: 03-06 CBR600RR, 03-05 R6, and the 01-06 zx-6r is least likely to throw a person off with an accidental blip in the throttle at low-mid rpm ranges?

I've read the CBR600rr lacks low to mid end power so I'd think that would be the answer...

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#2 Unread post by jonnythan »

The RR means race replica.

That bike is basically the street version (turn signals, mirrors, etc) of a bike ready to race on a track.

It is a poor beginner's bike as it will be dangerous due to the sensitive throttle and brakes, be very difficult to learn on, and be pretty boring because you will be using so little of its power band.

The RR bikes are the bikes that people are talking about when they say newbies should not buy high-power sportbikes.

That thing has over 100 hp and would probably hit over 175 mph.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

badfish89
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by badfish89 »

jonnythan wrote:The RR means race replica.

That bike is basically the street version (turn signals, mirrors, etc) of a bike ready to race on a track.

It is a poor beginner's bike as it will be dangerous due to the sensitive throttle and brakes, be very difficult to learn on, and be pretty boring because you will be using so little of its power band.

The RR bikes are the bikes that people are talking about when they say newbies should not buy high-power sportbikes.

That thing has over 100 hp and would probably hit over 175 mph.

im pretty sure it could... prolly 180.
[img]http://r2.fodey.com/178a00a236ae9408ea0fec7711f874423.1.gif[/img]
V-TWIN fo lyfe

tortus
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by tortus »

Look into the Ninja 650R (which my avatar is a pic of). Some people recommend this as a beginner's bike, others recommend it as an intermediate bike (I'm in this crowd). It has 73 hp, so it's not nearly as fast as the bikes you mentioned, but it's also a lot easier to control.

When I pull the throttle all the way back on my 650R, the engine screams, it feels like I'm getting about 200 Gs of force, and I'm going 85mph in the blink of an eye. Plenty of power -- this bike is smoking fast. It's by far the fastest vehicle I've ever been on, by a huge margin. No need to go as far as the bikes you mentioned which are so fast I can't even comprehend them.

You don't need a top of the line sport bike to have fun. I'm thoroughly in love with my little medium sized Ninja, and my friend LOVES his baby 250 Ninja. These smaller bikes still have a ton to offer.

When I've got the skills, I'll probably get me a RR bike. But I want to make sure I live to see that day.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

Re: Question about 600cc sport bikes

#5 Unread post by storysunfolding »

day1yun wrote:Which bike out of the following: 03-06 CBR600RR, 03-05 R6, and the 01-06 zx-6r is least likely to throw a person off with an accidental blip in the throttle at low-mid rpm ranges?

I've read the CBR600rr lacks low to mid end power so I'd think that would be the answer...
If one is any less likely, it's negligible. SInce you're asking I'm willing to bet you're a new rider. Read the stickies in the new rider forum and look for those bikes.

Your first bike won't normally be your last, but on a race replica you're more likely to make it your last bike. "There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots"- Applies to riders too.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by Sev »

day1yun wrote:Which bike out of the following: 03-06 CBR600RR, 03-05 R6, and the 01-06 zx-6r is least likely to throw a person off with an accidental blip in the throttle at low-mid rpm ranges?

I think... that if you really want the bike you should buy it.

I think... it's a bad idea. But ultimately it is your money, your life and your responsibility. And you don't need random people on the internet to sign off on your purchase, though by the same token you're not going to get us to approve of it.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

hi-side
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by hi-side »

Ugh... No stock 600 will do 175 or 180. A fully race prepped 600 will do 170 at a track like Road America or Daytona with a tail wind. Unless you get into Formula Extreme 600s that are putting out near 1000 cc stock numbers or close to 150 HP at the rear wheel and then you're still talking 175... but thats a 100k+ bike at that point... and nowhere near or even close to s "street" bike.

A stock 600 will do 155 at best on a good day with a tail wind... and I don't care what the speedo says... its wrong.

And none of the aforementioned bikes is "likely to throw" a person off for an accidental blip of the throttle at any kind of rpm range.

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#8 Unread post by flynrider »

hi-side wrote:And none of the aforementioned bikes is "likely to throw" a person off for an accidental blip of the throttle at any kind of rpm range.
Well, that depends on what constitutes an "accidental blip". The scenario that I've seen at least a dozen times (and about 100 times on you tube) goes like this :

1.Noob applies too much throttle and the bike launches forward.
2. Noob becomes alarmed and instinctively tightens his grip.
3. Noob has now opened the throttle even further and is pretty much along for the ride, at a pretty good clip. (Often the feet are comically scraping the ground at this point)
4. There are various endings to this scenario, depending on whether or not there are trees, parked cars, moving cars or a curb in front of the bike.

Any of the bikes mentioned in the original post are likely to have worse outcomes that bikes with more reasonable accelleration qualities.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by Shorts »

...dude...if you're looking for a loophole, that ain't it.

But hey, your skin, your body, your money. Just say, "I want to be supercool and not look like a wuss. I cannot wait for a large fast bike so I want it now. I'll outgrow anything smaller anyway" :roll:

...but let me guess, you're a big guy, 6' 200+ right? And you need more poweful bike to move you around.

Flipper
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2010 Ninja 250

#10 Unread post by Flipper »

I'm guessing that crashing at 170mph feels about the same as crashing at 180mph.....give or take.....
2010 Ninja 250
2006 CB600F (sold)
2006 Honda Rebel (sold)