The ramblings of mgdavis

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

#51 Unread post by mgdavis »

I rode in to work this morning. The bike felt good. I think they put a few more pounds of pressure in the tires, the bike really wanted to turn in quick. It's possible I've been running to little air, my gauge is old and beat up. The engine was responding and accelerating well.
I made a noob mistake this morning, tried to start the bike with my kill switch set "off". I was getting frustrated till I noticed, then it fired right up when I fixed it.
On the negative side: at some point on the way to work the engine decided to start "idling" at 3000rpm. I don't make many stops on the way so I didn't notice till I was just about there. The throttle doesn't seem to be stuck, neither does the choke. I'll put a post up on the tech forum, if it's not incredibly simple I'm going back to the dealership and making them fix it.
The gear I picked up last week is working well. My Cortech pants cut the wind well. My Joe Rocket "Highside" gloves feel nice and are slightly warmer than my el-cheapo Firstgear gloves. I plan on wearing my Seirus chin warmer on the way home, my face was freezing this morning.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#52 Unread post by mgdavis »

Got the high idle fixed. Brothers Honda was very helpful, they fixed the issue promptly and free. The bike is much nicer to ride now, I don't feel like I am deafening the people behind and next to me at red lights. I do have a sneaking suspicion that the engine might not catch and warm up quite so nicely when cold now. We'll see about that when I go home tonight.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#53 Unread post by mgdavis »

I forgot to write in my earlier post that I rolled the odometer past 11,000 miles this morning. It works out to about 393 miles a year for the last 28 years. I wonder how many years it spent sitting in garages.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#54 Unread post by Shorts »

What was the reason for the high idle that they found?

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#55 Unread post by mgdavis »

The guy that helped me said "there might have been some crud that got blown out after they worked on it". I think that the original adjustments were made while the engine was not fully warm. I wasn't there to see things happen either time, so it's just guessing on my part. I'm assuming there is an idle adjustment control somewhere that I am not aware of.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#56 Unread post by mgdavis »

Running Ring-Free through the bike right now, trying to get all the carbon and varnish blown out of the engine and carbs. Turned the fuel in my tank a weird milky color. The weather is finally nice, hopefully I don't have to use my truck much for the next few months.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#57 Unread post by mgdavis »

Two things that were semi blog-worthy happened yesterday.
First, I figured out how to adjust the idle speed on my engine. Black plastic knob underneath and between the carbs, I feel kinda stupid for not seeing it before.
The other thing, I made a quick downshift into second so I could make a turn. I didn't blip the throttle and match revs like I should have, which caused the back tire to get squirrelly for a split second when I dropped the clutch. Something I need to keep in mind. That is all.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#58 Unread post by mgdavis »

It was windy this morning when I was riding in to work. I was drifting all over the road. There was also all sorts of crap on the road and in the air from trees. I'm glad I was wearing a full-face helmet, as I caught five or six chunks of falling crap across the visor.
I figured out that if I tighten the velcro cuffs of my riding pants all the way they won't ride up my calves. It looks goofy as hell, but it's better than cold ankles. Who rides to look good anyways?
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#59 Unread post by mgdavis »

I have gotten over 5,000 hits on this blog now. I'm really impressed, especially because only like half of them are from me. :wink:

This morning was amazing. It was really hard to park and get off at work, I just wanted to keep going.

I've been re-evaluating my next potential bike. I've been wanting an SV650 badly for several years. Now I'm thinking that a V-Strom 650 might be more appropriate for the type of riding that I do. Mostly I commute and ride around town. I've got big ol' chicken strips, I wouldn't outride the DL650. If my bike was reliable I'd do some day trips. I would like the windscreen and bags. I love the look of nakeds, but I need some more practicality. The V-Strom is a bit more expensive according to MSRP, but not by that much.
This is still all theoretical at this point, maybe I'll try to convince my girlfriend that I need a new bike before we get trucks. Hmmm, my F150 gets 17 mpg, the V-Strom gets about 50. I wonder how long it would take me to recoup my money. I could sell my CB750 also to get some additional funds. Hmmm....
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

AZRider
Elite
Elite

#60 Unread post by AZRider »

Just finished reading. I enjyoed it. You have a good looking bike. I have always liked the old CB750s Had a 78 super sport for a short time. I really wish I had another one. Those inline 750s had a very distinct sound,I really liked. Also, those were the bikes that REALLY pissed off the harley guys. :laughing:
Kawi VN1600

I dont give a damn what the name on the bike is..........Just ride it.

AZRider: Never met a bike he didnt like.