The ramblings of mgdavis

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

#61 Unread post by mgdavis »

Last night the bike was running really shitty. It didn't want to hold a high idle while warming up, then it wasn't getting any power above 4000 rpm. I think I'm going to have to tear into the carbs again at some point. This is very frustrating. It will run good one day, then horribly the next. Tomorrow I'm going to try to talk my girlfriend into letting me buy a V-Strom, wish me luck.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#62 Unread post by Shorts »

Good luck - I was going to suggest maybe it's time to threaten the bike with getting a new one. That may straighten it out for a bit lol

Hey, why do you have to talk to your GF. After all she's "GF" and not "Wife" - there's still some leighway in there :mrgreen: :wink:

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#63 Unread post by mgdavis »

I got to ask because it actually is our money. We've been living together for a couple of years and share most of our finances. We've been saving money for trucks, that's the cash that would pay for a new bike. I think I'd actually be able to lay cash on the barrelhead in the next couple of months. It would clean out our truck fund however, and I'd probably be single pretty quickly if I did it unapproved.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#64 Unread post by Shorts »

:lol:

I see - yeah, definitely discuss it.

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#65 Unread post by mgdavis »

Holy "poo poo" Shorts, your well wishing worked! She actually said that I can get the V-Strom 650! I just need to sell the CB first.

I'm going to put my CB 750 on Craigslist for $1500. I'll make a deal with any active members of this board and sell it for $1200. I need to get out what I've got into it already. As you know if you've read this blog, I have done quite a bit of work on it. It just had a big service that included checking the valves, balancing the carbs, and a multitude of other maintenance that I can't remember off the top of my head. Actual mileage this morning was 11316 miles. Tires are good, so are brakes. Cosmetics are decent, there is some minor corrosion here and there. There is a tear in the seat on the left side. The bike does need some work, I think cleaning the carbs would take care of the great majority of its' issues.

This morning the CB actually ran pretty nice once it warmed up, so I'm thinking it didn't like how cool the ambient temperature was the other night, and then I got to nervous to use the throttle like I should have to get it warmed up.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#66 Unread post by Shorts »

mgdavis wrote:Holy "poo poo" Shorts, your well wishing worked! She actually said that I can get the V-Strom 650! I just need to sell the CB first.

:clapping: That's awesome! **crossing fingers for a speedy sale!**

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#67 Unread post by Wrider »

Very cool, congrats! Hope you sell the bike fast! A friend of mine just sold his 79 CB750 today, delivering it tomorrow to a first-time rider!
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

AZRider
Elite
Elite

#68 Unread post by AZRider »

Man, Id really like to get it, but I think 1200 is too much. Sorry, but good luck.
Kawi VN1600

I dont give a damn what the name on the bike is..........Just ride it.

AZRider: Never met a bike he didnt like.

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#69 Unread post by mgdavis »

On a different note:
Saturday I picked up a tinted visor for my HJC AC-12. The catalog called it "dark" tint, so I guess there's a lighter one too. I rode a couple miles with it this morning before work. It kept the sun out of my eyes decently well. I did notice that it would "haze" a bit when the sun was hitting it right. It was nicer than shoving sunglasses on. I did notice a bit of fogging, there is no anti-fog coating on this visor.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

DAMMIT

#70 Unread post by mgdavis »

The CB pissed me off yesterday. I believe it is not firing the #3 cyclinder, or doing a poor job of it. I changed the oil yesterday, noticed fluid weeping out around the #3 exhaust. I pulled the plug, plug is nasty. That might also explain the crappy mileage I've been noticing. Oil was also seeping out from under the head on the right side, enough to get small splatters on my exhaust.

I'm still selling it, now with the understanding that it is a project or running parts bike. Price reduced, I'll put it on Craigslist for $900 obo.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!