totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

The Motorcycle as Primary Transportation thread

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Welcome to a new thread which in time may become a larger TMW page (depending on popularity) as suggested by our member, CNF2002.

Contribute and help grow "The Motorcycle as Primary Transportation" thread with your tips, hints, and suggested bikes for living entirely on a motorcycle, without a car.

I know people do it and live it, I had my motorcycle licence way before I owned a car licence. For me, the motorcycle provided a lot more excitement and fun than a car ever could at the time and it gave me something to look forward to come spring sitting on public transit when the snow was on the ground. :D

So please do add any of your stories, tips, suggestions for living entirely on a motorcycle, without a car.

I look forward to reading them all!

Thanks for your help and support in this new thread.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

lunchmeat
Veteran
Veteran

#2 Unread post by lunchmeat »

I'm a beginner and I don't yet have a bike, but when I do have one this will be the lifestyle I have. No car, justa motorcycle. This thread might help those of us who have to do this.

Anyone have any tips for riding in the winter? Is there anything protective you have to do to your bike?
-lunchmeat

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

lunchmeat wrote:I'm a beginner and I don't yet have a bike, but when I do have one this will be the lifestyle I have. No car, justa motorcycle. This thread might help those of us who have to do this.

Anyone have any tips for riding in the winter? Is there anything protective you have to do to your bike?
Well, I was lucky enough a couple of winters ago to ride 11 out of 12 months here in Calgary. I would ride as low as -5°C and as long as the streets were clear with no "wetness" at all on them. You have to watch out for the black ice on the road, gravel in the corners and treat the road and ride like it's raining.

Wear only a full face helmet (to stop the wind chill) and at stop lights hold your breath as long as you can as if you fog up the inside of your visor it takes A LONG time to clear or you have to ride with your visor open.

Umm, I didn't have any electric heating items (vest, pants or gloves) althought it would have been nice! I did put a small windshield on my bike to defect the icy air and also wore LOTS of layers of clothing and wind pants too. And snow boarding gloves (good for -20°C).

Hope that helps a bit. As to the bike, warm it up for about 3-4 minutes before you go. Use good gas and good tires.

Mike.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

logitech104
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#4 Unread post by logitech104 »

I think one of these is mandatory for anti-fogging. only $20
http://www.helmetharbor.com/gear/respro ... pening.htm

Also locking up your tires on ice will most likely make you crash, no matter what. I learned that the hard way.. :frusty:
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/logitech104/fairyhugsig.jpg[/img]
[1981 honda cb400t hawk][2004 honda crf150f]

Rydr
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by Rydr »

When I was 16 and first started riding and my motorcycle was my only form of mechanized transportation for a year and a half. When the second winter arrived I bought a car because I didn't want to ride in the snow anymore. Just to dangerous. I kept the motorcycle and I've never been without one to this day.

Jadien
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by Jadien »

Thought I'd pick this thread out of the ashes as it may be helpful to us college kids who can't afford a car's gas mileage when it's almost $4 a gallon.

Since riding my bike as primary transportation, I've learned:
- Allow a solid 5 minutes in the morning to let the bike warm up; and an extra 5 to get it out from wherever you stash it and get the cover off.
- Gear becomes second nature, and because you get to the point where you don't notice it on, you need to do a mental check. (I almost left with my helmet and gloves sitting in the kitchen!!)
- The grocery store is a daily visit, now.
- The backpack / tankbag / saddlebag is your friend.
- Earphones that double as earplugs are awesome.
- The freeway is fun, but watch your speed. (I looked down and saw 105-ish the other day!!! :shock: )
The Man, The Myth, The Legend

2004 SV650S

Jas0n
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by Jas0n »

For a 16 year old like me, a Bike would be a very practical thing regarding gas and a very reliable mode of transportation. Although a car will be my first mode of transportation (for learning purposes), over the months/years my bike will slowly replace the car in terms of primary transportation.

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#8 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

Know what you're getting into, there will most likely be times where you have to compromise safety, to some extent, to get the job done. Sometimes you will have to move bulky items (eg a new hoover) and your bike is your only transport. It makes sense to use home delivery services where possible, but thats not always possible.

So make sure you stock up on Bungee cords, a cargo net, gaffer tape and zip ties (a pair of cutters for these too), and a small serving of insanity.

Also saddle bags, tank bag, top box will become invaluable best if you can find some easily removable types

And for the love of all things sane, don't decide to learn to play the Drums :laughing:

***edit***
Finally if you plan to ride in the winter, as stupid as they look, you'll probably want some muffs to give an extra layer of wind protection on your hands
(just for example, heres a link to a pair so you can see what I mean, They cover the controls on the bike, meaning your hands stay warmer, and hence, your level of control over the bike stays higher)
http://www.hotbikebits.co.uk/ShowDetail ... oductID=62
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

andrwhock
Veteran
Veteran

#9 Unread post by andrwhock »

For riding in the winter, an anti fog face screen is a MUST. I use one year round because I don't ever want to be put in a situation in which I have impaired vision on a bike.

lunchmeat
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by lunchmeat »

I'm now on my "bike only" mode. Some advice - as someone else said, things become second nature, so you need to check them consciously. Due to not doing FINE-C, I rode off without checking my fuel pump, resulting in a short ride. Also check your gear - having it is important, but wearing it correctly is even more important. I almost rode off without fastening the chin strap to my helmet - I was at the end of the parking lot before I noticed.

Make up little ways for you to remember things, and then do them.

I guess gear is a big thing as well - I haven't quite gotten totally proficient with it. If your motorcycle is your only mode of transport, plan on carrying your gear with you all the time unless you have a way to fasten it to something, like your bike.
-lunchmeat