Bike "sputtering" when idling, video provided

Talendor
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Bike "sputtering" when idling, video provided

#1 Unread post by Talendor »

Hey everyone, I'm new here and had a question about something that just started happening (yesterday) for my bike. For some reason when it idles, it now has a hard time reacting or staying at a decide idle rpm. The RPM's "jump" and "hiccup". Also, when I let out the clutch in first, it takes a good 4 seconds before the bike catches and I can start moving. I'm not sure what's wrong with it. Going faster than 10mph has no problems, but when I'm in the low RPM's the bike just gets angry at me.

I took a video of it with my phone. You'll probably need quicktime to view it.

http://xinil.net/files/Bike2.3gp

I'd really appreciate any help or advice on this issue. Does it need a mechanic, does it need a new air filter, etc... Thanks in advance!

Oh, it's a 2000 Yamaha R6, no engine mods, with 18,000 miles.

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: FZ6

#2 Unread post by intotherain »

sorry mate but your video doesnt work.

please dont yell at me if you've been riding for a while (because you own a R6) and I am telling stuff you already know, but just in case, here goes

1.) it might be because the Idle is set too low. When it idles, what is the RPM generally at? I think most bikes should idle nicely at about 2,000 RPM. I forgot how to set the idle but its somewhere on your bike. If its any lower, that might cause your sputtering.

and your clutch.

Well your clutch SHOULDNT engage so soon. If I understand your problem right, it takes four seconds from when you start letting it go until the clutch catches?

My clutch starts engaging at about half way between all the way in and all the way out. So it takes a couple of seconds before it engages.

and Sev probably knows..

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#3 Unread post by BuzZz »

If nothing at all happens for 4 seconds after you release the clutch, you have issues. Like a burnt out clutch, buggered hyd. system (does it have a hyd. clutch?) or extremely sticky cable.

The rough idle could be simply a sign you need a tune-up. New plugs, valve set, clean filters, fresh oil, carb setting adjustments (is it carbed?), stuff like that.

It sounds like your bike needs a good hug.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

tim conroy
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by tim conroy »

We really need year make and model.just a wild guess though.have you checked your battery lately.How about your air filter? When was the last time you changed your plugs? A bike needs 3 things to run well, spark fuel and air.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Sev »

What kind of riding have you been doing??

I'm inclined to agree with BuzZz, sounds like it's time for new clutch plates, and a good close look at the top end of the bike. Time to do the valves, and the spark plugs.

I don't know if your bike is fuel injected or carbed... but it would be a good idea to clean either the throttle bodies or the jets while you're at it. A clogged pilot jet could cause the problems you're having.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

thespirit
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by thespirit »

Might want to try running some Seafoam through it to help with idling problems.

Kaiser Soze
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Kaiser Soze »

BTW, I just saved that file to my desktop, removed the .txt that got stuck on the end, and quicktime played it fine.