Replacing the front tire

trsahli
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Replacing the front tire

#1 Unread post by trsahli »

Ok all, I am about to embark on replacing the front tire this weekend. I would imagine it is duable, nothing crazy hard but I would like some advice. What is the easiest way to get a tire off, and what is the easiest way to get the new tire on without wrecking or mangling anything on the bike?? :?

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#2 Unread post by BuzZz »

Proper tire levers. Other prying tools may work, but you stand a better chance of not hacking up the rim with proper levers. I've seen guys wrap then with cloth tape in the area they contact the rim in an effort to not chip chrome over aluminum.... I've also seen it go both ways as far as success....

Then it's a game of extreme exertion (to get the bead over the rim, dish soap can help) while maintaining minute control (so you don't slip or scar the rim).
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

trsahli
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by trsahli »

Ok sounds good. But is this something that I can do. I think I have all the things I need, but is it something I can do myself? I have a buddy who can help me with it, but I want to make sure I am not in over my head. Any other words of advice folks?

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#4 Unread post by Gadjet »

Very do-able. I've changed my front tire numerous times myself. Takes a bit of time and some effort, but it's probably one of the easiest tasks that you can tackle.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

thespirit
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by thespirit »

Gadjet is right, this is a very doable procedure. If you have someone that can lend an extra hand, use it. It can be very helpful to have someone hold the rubber down while you reef on it.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by Sev »

Gadjet wrote:Very do-able. I've changed my front tire numerous times myself. Takes a bit of time and some effort, but it's probably one of the easiest tasks that you can tackle.
I still remember you telling me shortly after the first time we went riding how impossible it was :P Hahaha.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#7 Unread post by flw »

There are special pry bars for this not generic full size crow bars for this. I assume thats what you have. It's rim damage your trying to avoid.

Its time, wrist/hand/arm power and a properly sized lever you'll need. I assume this is a tubless front tire.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Sev »

Oh sweet christ, a tubeless low profile tire is a pain in the "O Ring" to change with hand levers. I'll use a machine every time myself :P.

Tube tires are pretty easy to do once you get the technique going. I prefer tire irons for a tube tire as you can be sure you won't pinch the tube.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#9 Unread post by flw »

Any type of low profile tire is going to be more difficult since you have less material (sidewall) to remove or put on.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold