The ramblings of mgdavis

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

A picture is worth a thousand words...

#71 Unread post by mgdavis »

'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#72 Unread post by Shorts »

Is that what I think it is???

:happybikeday: :drinks: :bday1: :cheerleader:

I love the grey and black color scheme. Nice!!! Go ride! Tell us how it is.

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#73 Unread post by mgdavis »

Shorts wrote: Tell us how it is.
Tall. I'm 6", and I can get both feet flat. If my inseam was an inch shorter I'd be on just the balls of my feet.

I've got about 130 miles on it so far, just from screwing around the last couple days. I actually got it June 1st, but I had to do the Air Force thing this weekend, so I missed the great weather we had.

I changed the oil yesterday at 90 miles, I don't think it looked as bad as Totalmotorcycle's, but the chip collector did show significant amounts of metal filings. I have not yet cut apart the filter.

The manual states that 5000rpm may not be exceeded for the first 500mi, I have been observing this while attempting to follow the mototune method of break-in. It is difficult to keep my right wrist in check, this engine is just waking up at 5000rpm.

I would very much like to do some longer day rides this week to attain the recommended break-in mileage, but I need to find a route that is not predominately highway. I may do some riding up on the Olympic Peninsula.

I'm looking forward to the ride home tonight, as it will give me a chance to test my headlights.

One gripe about switch placement, the horn and turn signal are very close, I keep honking when I cancel my turn signal. It's rather embarrassing, hopefully I build some muscle memory and this problem resolves itself.

That's it for the moment, I'm sure more will follow.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

AZRider
Elite
Elite

#74 Unread post by AZRider »

Congrats on the new bike. It looks sweet.
Sorry to hear about the CB. Good luck selling.
Kawi VN1600

I dont give a damn what the name on the bike is..........Just ride it.

AZRider: Never met a bike he didnt like.

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#75 Unread post by mgdavis »

Thanks. I've got a couple good hits on the CB, even with it clearly stated in the ad that it's a project. I'm hoping it goes quickly. I know I'll miss it, but I don't need a project right now.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#76 Unread post by Wrider »

SEXY!!!!!!!!!!! and no, not you, the bike! Yeesh... :laughing:
Seems like a lotta guys are getting the V-stroms lately. You, storysunfolding (seen him lately?) and Mike all have new ones now!
Congrats and Happy Bike Day!
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#77 Unread post by mgdavis »

I went for a nice ride today. Went across the Hood Canal bridge and took Paradise Bay Rd turn toward Port Hadlock. Wound up getting on Highway 20 to Port Townsend. I went to Fort Worden, got a couple pictures of the lighthouse. On the way back I went through Chimacum and took Highway 19 till it met 104, back over the bridge, then onto Highway 3. It came out to right around 100 miles round trip. I got a bit chilly on the way up and a bit damp on the way back, but nothing really uncomfortable.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#78 Unread post by mgdavis »

I had a guy come look at the CB yesterday. He's the mechanically-inclined friend of my prospective buyer. I was very up front with him about the various issues, he still seemed really stoked about it. He's going to talk to the buyer and see how much she's willing to spend on repairs. I think he'll wind up selling the bike to her for me, he was that excited.

It's really embarrassing, but I managed to drop the CB when I was moving it around to wash it. I was sitting on it and backing up, I think I misplaced a foot. It did a slow fall to the right, landing on grass. It has previously been down on that side, no additional damage was done. I was kinda surprised at how easy picking it up was, I just grabbed the right grip and the seat rail, and stood it up.

I washed and waxed both bikes, was surprised at how dirty the V-Strom was already. I managed to get chain lube on the rear wheel the other day, going to have to put in a bit more effort to get that cleaned off.

I've been riding the Strom a bit harder, that engine has GUTS. I can't wait till I put the remainder of the break-in mileage on, and get to really go have fun.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#79 Unread post by mgdavis »

I forgot to toss in here that I insured the Strom last week. It's not required in Washington, nor did my Suzuki Card mandate insurance. I figured it would be stupid to not have it, regardless. I got it through GMAC, I also insure my truck with them, so I got a discount. It came out to $667/yr for comprehensive with a $500 deductible. If I had a secure storage facility it would be even cheaper, unfortunately my carport does not count.

The next (first) farkle I acquire for the Strom is going to be handguards. I hate having cold hands, makes everything rather unpleasant. I don't think the OEM pieces are very expensive, I might try to order them Friday.

I've been digging on the Givi bags, I'd like to get a top box and side cases. They're damn pricey though. I'll probably start acquiring them piecemeal.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#80 Unread post by mgdavis »

Yesterday I had the actual prospective buyer show up to look at the CB. She was about 5' 4", when she sat on the the bike only her big toes were on the ground (who goes to look at a bike wearing flip-flops?). Her friend is going to see if he can find shorter shock assemblies, if he can the bike is gone. I did get a bit irritated, I thought she was coming out with cash-in-hand, turns out she was just trying it on for size. Ah well, if she buys it, it's worthwhile.

Saturday I went down to the dealer to exchange the temporary tag for a permanent plate and the registration for the Strom. I was checking the registration, noticed that two letters in my first name were transposed. Lady at the office said she would call the DMV on Tuesday and get things straightened out, till then I hang on to the mis-spelled registration.

Haven't ordered hand guards yet. I'll call, or stop by, the dealer tomorrow to see about that.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!