Ladies - Women's first bike choice

Ryda Girl
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#111 Unread post by Ryda Girl »

I learned on a 1991 EX 500...Kawi. Great bike, bought it for $650. And you couldn't kill her, she was knocked over, pushed over, ran into a bucket truck with (not by me) and ran smooth through all that. LOL. They still make them. I'm 5' 7" lil on the skinny, but balancing when I was stopped was my biggest prob, didn't take long to conqer tho.
I own a 2000 CBR 929 now. LUV HER!
I recomend a 600cc for your first bike and work out with weights! That helped me a lot.
You bought the bike...now get on it and ride BIOTCH!

mtn_horn
Rookie
Rookie

#112 Unread post by mtn_horn »

We bought Honda 750 Aero's as our first bikes - well technically, our first bikes were our scooters - but we wanted to get bikes that would allow us to get on the interstate - they felt heavy at first, but it didn't take much practice to have them feel natural. We are 5'8 and 5'9, and the Aero just feels "right." I'd imagine someone shorter would fit in the bike as well - I'm 5'8, but I have short legs (31 inch inseam) and my feet easily reach the ground.

I'd be concerned about buying something smaller than a 600 unless you buy it with the understanding that it is mostly a "trainer" for a short time (like 3-6 months). Buy it cheap, learn on it, and then pass it on.

Oh, and take the MSF course. :)

We took it twice - the second time as a "ladies only" class. I really liked that - there seemed to be more cooperation and camraderie in it.
I know you said, "can't you just get over it?" It turned my whole life around and I kinda like it...

Our rides:
02 Vespa ET4
05 Vespa PX150
06 Honda 750 Aero
07 Honda 750 Aero

cubmaster
Rookie
Rookie

#113 Unread post by cubmaster »

:wink: I'm 5ft. 11in. I ride a cub and this forum makes me so tempting to get a bigger bike as I know only about cub....

maggy
Rookie
Rookie

#114 Unread post by maggy »

Well for me sence I could not get any help getting me to parking lot to practice I bought a little 50 cc tank bike. (custom cruiser) it is so cute and so great to learn on. Here in nV you do not need a M/C lincese or registration and etc to ride it on the streets because it is actually right under 50 cc. They consider it like the little scooters you see around with no plates on them. (depending on your state.
I road this little bike and road it and learned to be a good rider with it and then got on my shadow ace and away I went. Yes big difference in Balance and such but it comes to you.
Maggy
RIDE TO LIVE
MAGGY
[img]http://img15.imgspot.com/u/06/359/00/10100516231167109485.jpg[/img]

Shortcake23
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#115 Unread post by Shortcake23 »

Skier wrote:Any recommendations for a standard or possibly a cruiser for my GF? She's thinking about getting into riding (and I'm helping ;) ). I suppose at the MSF course she'll see if the Rebel works for her. She has a 27" inseam and is 5'1", so small is good. :)
How about a Buell Blast? I'm also new to riding (just doing my course now) and I'm 5'2" with a 27" inseam. I have a Buell Blast (it's a 500cc) with the regular seat height (27.5 inches) and I can touch with both feet on each side quite comfortably. It's listed as a "standard" type of bike.

As for a cruiser type, there's the Suzuki Boulevard S40 (650cc) that I've sat on at the dealer's and I could flat foot on both sides. And I've tried a Savage (which is now the Boulevard S40) on the weekend with the riding school, and was quite comfortable riding it at my height and with my abilities.
Nancy
=======================
2005 Buell Blast 500
1982 Honda CB450SC (Nighthawk)

BytchAmy
Rookie
Rookie

well for me

#116 Unread post by BytchAmy »

I grew up rideing horses, dirt bikes go carts , 4 wheelers doon buggys iu still got my first bike & i liked the way it rode so thats why i got it I own a 2001 Suzuki GSXR 750. I am not short legged i am 125 5,8.
amy

x0054
Regular
Regular

#117 Unread post by x0054 »

Ok, just saw this on top, going to throw my 2 cents in. I just taught a 5'6" 120 LB girl, hopefully my future girlfriend, how to ride on a FZR600. It's my spare bike now, and it was setup for me, so she had a hard time balancing it. She was on her tippitoes the entire time and I had to balance it for her for first 10 min or so. After that she got a hang of balancing it and could pick her legs up easily at speeds below 2MPH, which put's my first ride on a bike to shame, I was scraping my feet all the way up to 10mph.

So, at least considering how easy it was to teach her, I think that FZR600 is a good choice. The bike was at the top most setting, so you can lower it, I am going to do that later on. The only complaint she had was that the clutch is really hard. And it is, so maybe a clutch booster would be a good idea, they have them on ebay for cheep. The clutch on older bikes in general is a lot harder then new sport bikes.

Any way, guy's opinion on the issue, hope it helps.

netty
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

re: what first bike

#118 Unread post by netty »

Hi all. I've just signed up to the forum and read the what first bike post. If you are not that tall, a Suzuki Savage LS650 is a good bike. The seat height on mine is 27" which means that feet can easily reach the floor. I am 5'3" and my knees have quite a nice bend when sitting. It also means when I am stopped, I can put one foot down safely without wobbling.
Hope this info helps. If you want a more powerful bike then the Suzuki VS800 is pretty much the big brother of the Savage. Similar seat height but 800cc.
Happy riding.
Netty :D

TylerR
Veteran
Veteran

Re: re: what first bike

#119 Unread post by TylerR »

Hi All:

New to the forum but not to the internet. ;) Rode pillion for 4 years and when he moved out of state, it seemed easier to get my own bike than a new boyfriend. :laughing:

Started on a Suzuki GZ250, then a Honda Shadow 750, and currently ride a '98 Triumph Trophy and an '01 Suzuki SV650 (standard). I'm 5'7" and have a 32" inseam which affords me a lot of choices out there.

I did come across the article below which has a great list of bikes, seat heights, and inseam measurements of which bike might fit which set of legs!

http://www.vtwinmama.com/motorcycles_fo ... riders.htm

I had the opportunity to ride a friend's Ninja 250 and can recommend that one for beginner riders and those with shorter legs. I too recommend starting small and then upgrading as your confidence and skills increases.

Cheers,
Tyler
Spend time with those who make you better.

Mcroghan
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

My first Bike - Twice

#120 Unread post by Mcroghan »

Back in 1995 I bought a new Suzuki Intruder. It was a cruiser style bike and I really enjoyed it for the 5 + years I had it. Then I had kids and didn't ride again until this past summer. I bought a Suzuki S50 Boulevard. It is the same bike. And both times it has been perfect for me. It is light enough I feel I can handle it. I can keep up with the "big" bikes. It is comfortable, (or will be with a couple of additions). It sits low to the ground. I'm 5'7" but I have had friends shorter than I comment on how they can touch the ground and feel in control on it. The only bad thing is that it is a carborated engine. It can be a bit tempermental in cool weather.
I agree about the sport bikes seeming top heavy but I would try to find a course that allows you to ride different types of bike. That can be hard.
And don't buy and until you are sure on what you want!