First fall off bike...

debbrango
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

First fall off bike...

#1 Unread post by debbrango »

Well I did it, I took my first fall off my Beauty. I was surprisingly calm after it happened. We just got back from Americade 2005 in Lake George New York. Up there for a week, my husband TRAILERED HIS, I had to throw that in. The ride up & back was long & hot.( Baltimore to New York)
We went to our friends house to unload her bike from the trailer (who had to trailer her's due to hip problems) I rode in all kinds of conditions up there, rain, twisties, hills, gravel, etc. No Problem!! I get within a few miles from my home & did it. I LET MY GUARD DOWN , I GOT COMFY!
I learned my lesson big time. It happened so fast.
I saw my husband up ahead pulling the trailer, coming up to an intersection & red light. Lots of traffic. I was looking in his side mirror to see if he saw me approaching the light, I didn't see the dried weeds & vines on the street, as I braked behind the trailer I went into a skid & off I went. I was more concerned about my bike, gas was pouring out, I heard a man shout turn your gas off. People came from everywhere to help get the bike up. A lady pulled up & said I'm a paramedic are you OK?
I didn't feel anthing at the time, I just wanted to get the bike up & check for any damage, just a few scratches to the Crash Bar. If u don't have a Crash Bar, I advise u to get one. It saved a lot of damage to my bike.
I got back on my bike & it started right up(Yamaha 650 V Star).
I saw my husband up ahead standing outside his truck, he didn't know what was going on. I waved to him to go ahead. About a mile up the road I felt my right knee & arm in pain & my left shin was throbbing so bad, I pulled off the side, my husband pulled over too. I came off my bike on the right side, my arm & knee took the brunt of my weight, my left shin had a big hole & was bleeding where it hit something. OUCH!! I was hurting real bad, but was ok to get my butt home & get fixed up & a shower, which I needed. I looked a mess & didn't smell much better from the long hot ride from 8:00am til 5:00pm in the hot sun.
I'm still a lil sore, but it didn't scare me from riding. It taught me a lesson.
Don't get comfortable when you're close to home.
Now I'm getting ready for the MAWMR in Gettysburg PA June 22nd -26th.
Hope some of you go too, it'll be my first time. deb in Balt MD

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#2 Unread post by Loonette »

So glad that you're okay. Those are the sorts of things that "get us". Mine was coming into my own property last year. I have to cross a small gravel easement in front of our house, and I lost my focus (was looking at a dark figure a stretch down the road that turned out to only be a bicyclist), and I "bipped" the front brake in the gravel with the wheel slightly turned and down I went. My pants didn't tear, but I still ended up with a good scrape and some bruising. All from what was probably just a 3-m.p.h. drop. You were wise to continue on once you knew you were (relatively) okay. And you learned the lesson you were supposed to learn, and that's always a good thing. Glad you had a good ride otherwise.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Jadestop
Rookie
Rookie

First fall

#3 Unread post by Jadestop »

Hi Deb, Sorry to read about your fall, and I'm glad you're okay. I have two questions. I have not gotten a bike yet, but I had a nasty fall during BRC so I know what you mean about it happening so fast. I just bought a V-Star 650. You mention the importance of getting a crash bar. Is that the same thing as an engine guard?

Second question. I have read a lot of posts about losing control in sand, gravel and other barely noticable "nature" things. Is it automatic that riding over these things will cause you to loose control of the bike? Is it the speed that causes the fall when riders encounter sand, gravel and etc? Okay...that was three questions. My driveway is gravel, and my the access road to my homes is full of dirt, sand, and wobbly pavement. I hear riders pass the house a lot, so I wasn't concern until I started reading a lot of the postings.
Jadestop

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#4 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Whew. Glad you're okay!

I tipped over my baby yesterday in the parking lot of the Waffle House when I stopped for dinner. I'd been on the bike since about noon and this was close to 7 pm. I was about an hour from home after a 2 day ride down to Seneca Rocks, WV on Saturday and back again. My legs were just tooo tired to save her and the extra luggage didn't help.

To add insult to injury, I couldn't get her back up again, by myself.

I learned the lesson, too. Be EXTRA careful when you get on the home stretch after a looong day's ride. You don't realize how fatigued you are until you lose it like that.

Pam
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

amstaffmom
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by amstaffmom »

I'm glad your ok! I havn't had my first fall yet. I don't call screwing up a turn while practicing on my dead road a fall.

I wish I was comfortable enough in my riding to go to the Rally. Right now I'm too new. Maybe next year. Have fun!! You'll probably ride right by my house or close to it.

Jean

Loonette

Re: First fall

#6 Unread post by Loonette »

Jadestop wrote: a crash bar. Is that the same thing as an engine guard?

Second question. I have read a lot of posts about losing control in sand, gravel and other barely noticable "nature" things. Is it automatic that riding over these things will cause you to loose control of the bike? Is it the speed that causes the fall when riders encounter sand, gravel and etc? Okay...that was three questions. My driveway is gravel, and my the access road to my homes is full of dirt, sand, and wobbly pavement. I hear riders pass the house a lot, so I wasn't concern until I started reading a lot of the postings.
Jadestop
Yes, crash bars are the same as engine guards. Some come with foot pegs - others you can add foot pegs separately.

The problem with debris in the road is loss of traction. This can happen at any speed. The best thing to do if you notice road debris, is to go a bit slower into it (especially in a turn), add a little throttle through it for a bit a grip. In most cases you'll go down if you add too much brake while riding through the debris. So when you remember all the rules about braking on a motorcycle, you have to double the caution when in any type of debris or on wet surfaces.

Cheers,
Loonette

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Ladymx

#7 Unread post by Ladymx »

Deb Im really glad that you are alright and where able to get right back on to the bike to get her home. The pain does sneek up on you. Hope you can get back on her soon after all your aches heal. Crash bars a a saving grace.

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#8 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I finally got motivated to put engine guards on my bike. After reading this story and a few others in a couple of other threads, and my friend bugging me..."You really should get some engine guards"....
I went out today and got some.

It makes me feel like I am planning on dropping my bike. I don't ever plan on dropping it, but, I guess weird things happen sometimes, so it's better to be prepared. You never know when the ferry you are on may hit a wave and cause something to topple over.

Loonette

#9 Unread post by Loonette »

blues2cruise wrote:It makes me feel like I am planning on dropping my bike. I don't ever plan on dropping it, but, I guess weird things happen sometimes, so it's better to be prepared.
Just think of it as some "cool factor" for your bike. I looked for a long time until I finally found the crash bars for my bike - I just like the way they look...
http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=5ys0ib

Cheers,
Loonette

2006 Mean Streak 1600

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#10 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Good pic, loonette. Sometimes it takes me a while to "adjust" my thinking.

Now I am looking for some "official" riding pants. I've tried on a few pair of chaps, but, I honestly don't care for them. The ones I've tried looked stupid. The material of my jeans bunching out everywhere. :roll:
I will keep looking, though.