Best V-Twin for power without vibration?

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#11 Unread post by Gummiente »

Sev wrote:It is in the nature of a V-twin to vibrate sadly.
Hmmm... I always thought mine vibrated rather happily. It never seems to be depressed; it always starts first try and takes me everywhere I want to go and back again. My old BSA, well, it vibrated rather malevolently. My Triumph Thunderbird triple buzzed along contentedly for the most part, but my Triumph Tiger triple vibrated like a hyperactive 5yr old at the high end of the rpm scale. My Kawasaki Drifter 1500 had a bit of a lumpy (and noisy) idle, but it smoothed out at speed... although not as much as my Electra-Glide and nowhere near as much as my Road Glide. My Ural, well, let's just say that I singlehandedly support the blue Loc-Tite industry with that bike. :D
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#12 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Where exactly does everyone feel the vibrations? And is it only when you're running at top speed or at high rpm's or what?

I was a passenger on a friend's older Harley and the vibrations through the floorboards were awful. I sure don't feel that on my V-Star.

If it's the grips, you can change them.

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#13 Unread post by Gummiente »

blues2cruise wrote:Where exactly does everyone feel the vibrations? And is it only when you're running at top speed or at high rpm's or what?

I was a passenger on a friend's older Harley and the vibrations through the floorboards were awful. I sure don't feel that on my V-Star.
That varies from bike to bike. Inline three and four cylinder motors tend to produce high frequency vibrations that are normally felt in the handlebars and footpegs (ie: buzziness") and seen on the mirrors. V-Twins tend to put out low frequency pulses that are felt through the seat, handlebars and footpegs - but the vibrations are different than that of the 3 or 4 cylinder motors.

With the V-Twin, a couple of methods are used to reduce the amount of vibes. Some manufacturers use counterbalancers that rotate inside the engine, but opposite in direction, to counteract the power pulses. Some manufacturers use rubber mounts to isolate the motor's vibes from being transmitted through the frame.

Your friend's older Harley has very little, if any, compensating measures for vibes (especially if it's an older Shovelhead) and definitely none in the passenger area. The older Touring family of Harleys had rubber mounted handlebars and (usually) rubber mounted floorboards to somewhat offset the pulses from the rigid mount motor. Newer Harleys like mine have all that plus the rubber motor mounts, which all do a very effective job of minimising discomfort.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#14 Unread post by blues2cruise »

ahhh, thank you. Yes, that older Harley probably had none....and if it ever did have...it was probably worn out by now due to age. The seat and backrest and arm rests were comfy though. :mrgreen:

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#15 Unread post by mgdavis »

A 90 degree v-twin ain't bad. Maybe you should look into a V-Strom or SV. :twisted:
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#16 Unread post by Sev »

Gummiente wrote:
Sev wrote:It is in the nature of a V-twin to vibrate sadly.
Hmmm... I always thought mine vibrated rather happily. It never seems to be depressed; it always starts first try and takes me everywhere I want to go and back again. My old BSA, well, it vibrated rather malevolently. My Triumph Thunderbird triple buzzed along contentedly for the most part, but my Triumph Tiger triple vibrated like a hyperactive 5yr old at the high end of the rpm scale. My Kawasaki Drifter 1500 had a bit of a lumpy (and noisy) idle, but it smoothed out at speed... although not as much as my Electra-Glide and nowhere near as much as my Road Glide. My Ural, well, let's just say that I singlehandedly support the blue Loc-Tite industry with that bike. :D
I'm sending you a bill for the moniter I just sprayed coke on :P
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#17 Unread post by slimcolo »

What about a guzzi I hear their as smooth as a BMW.
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

AZRider
Elite
Elite

#18 Unread post by AZRider »

Well, it looks like Im a little behind on this one.
Oh well. Hopefully this will Help.

Kawasaki VN1600 classic.
I suppose the meanstreak and Nomad would be the same. Dont know for sure though. Never ridden one.

I have a bad hand due to an accident that happened about 15 or so yrs ago.
I quit riding because I didnt think I could handle the vibes of a bike. A year ago I got back into it. I got a 900. A couple months ago I traded it in for the 16. The 9 had some vibes that bugged me a bit, but the 16 is as smooth as silk.
Kawi VN1600

I dont give a damn what the name on the bike is..........Just ride it.

AZRider: Never met a bike he didnt like.

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#19 Unread post by High_Side »

Superduke. 8)

motoken
Rookie
Rookie

#20 Unread post by motoken »