Rosco and the blogging thereof

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#91 Unread post by blues2cruise »

over protective???cuz it wasn't your kid.....

and in our (yours mine and SV's) kid days things were different. We played outside all day. We never had to worry about being stolen off the street. And people didn't sue everyone for every little bump and bruise.

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#92 Unread post by roscowgo »

I'm not sure if it was over-protective or not.....All i have to judge by was me. If the kid would have been me, i would have been freaked completely by a place with this many stoplights. Nevermind someone telling me not to hang by my feet from the top of the tallest tree i could find.

I was just.....wild. It must have been like trying to herd cats raising me.

And I was actually fairly mild compared to some of my relations. At least I always cut my grapevines so I didn't swing over briar patches. Looking back I don't think I had any fear. I got my first actually only go-kart when i was about 5. Instantly hopped on, and went head on into a fencepost at about 35. :laughing: Once the bleeding stopped and i strapped a pillow to the steel steering wheel I was off again. And i was alone. Only child like SV, but i only got to see my herd of cousins two or three times a year. You could count on one or all of us bleeding before that day was over.

Town was a good half hour away. nearest neighbor that had a kid was about 12 miles away.

1 channel till i was about 16.

*edit. just a totally different world then, than now. They have cable internet there now.....internet. wow.

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

#93 Unread post by Apollofrost »

I think that a balance needs to be struck between over protection and just leaving a child to their wits. How much of each... that's kinda tricky and it varies on the child and the situation.

The best ratio would be giving the child enough freedom to come up against some challenges so that they can test themselves and find their limits, but not get in over their heads.
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#94 Unread post by roscowgo »

Heh I've been a bad rosco. I just couldn't say no though. She seduced me into it.

Jen got some parking lot seat time on buelah today. Started out with the straight line walk the bike....hour or two later and shes riding laps. Feet on the boards. Grin on the face......

It's been an exceptional evening.

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#95 Unread post by roscowgo »

Time for a new rear tire.

Today is the last time I'm riding buelah till I get that sorted. I'm 500 over my recommended valve inspection too. Ah well. she needed a good thorough de-funking. Might be the right time to look at fixing my seat too. I think once I get the new rear on, I may take it to dads and pull off the wheels and pay some attention to my bearings/final drive. Haven't decided if I want to try tackling the valves yet or not. Did click over 8k on the way to work this morning :D

I think I need another vacation. One where I actually rest. It seems like it's a constant gogogogogogoggogogoogoggo thing happening in my head lately. I just wake up in the mornings these days. saturdays I sleep in...till 7 and sometimes when i'm really wild 8. I want about 3 couch days. No people. No computer, no work, bike.....nothing. Just me, comfy shorts, greasy hair, and a whole heaping helping of some really really bad tv.

Aren't people who work too much and are hyper-active supposed to be skinny for goodness sake?

On the other hand, I believe it's time to start really househunting with Jen. We've been kinda half-arsed looking, a couple of appointments here and there from drive by for sale signs. I don't really want much out of a house. I don't have that much junk to store. (I pretty much live out of one drawer, and the top of a closet.) What I do want....AC (this is the first time I've ever had AC. I'm in love.), close enough to town to get high speed internet, a garage. And I would prefer something at least a bit off the road, and no stairs if i can manage it, a spot for a little garden, and a room where I can be all nerdy that isn't the garage.

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#96 Unread post by roscowgo »

Hrmm the house bit got me thinking.

If I were to say win the lottery tomorrow. What would I do living arrangements wise?

I think I would have a house built. say er....50 acres or so of land. wooded-away from town a ways Big garage. lots of garage gadjets. Bike lifts, lots of tools, lots of space.

The house itself would be one of those "smart houses". Computer controlled everything, sound and video built into the house for entertainment stuff, a couple of nerd rooms..... maybe one of em really big for LAN party type things. one of those blacked out movie rooms. Big humongous bathrooms, pool. If possible some ginormous shade trees.

And what I've always always wanted....a soundproofed library. Dark wood everywhere, big comfy couches and chairs. Somewhere that you could really get down and let your brain gnaw on some good thick books. Some window seats so you could sit and watch it rain. Somewhere to spend some of those quiet moments. The ones where you stare and worry about things, or when you blink and realize you've been roaming some deep dark forest of the mind for the past 45 minutes and didn't realize it.

Critters everywhere. dogs cats hedgehogs. A place to play on things with knobby tires. Somewhere that it's ok to unload a few hundred shots from a 22 at a tin can or 12.

Mostly though.... What I want most...is that warm feeling. I don't think you can get that no matter how perfect the house or situation is. I think that warm feeling grows out of the roots you put down. Adversity overcame, good times shared, triumphs, defeats, thanksgiving dinners with a family nap in front of an NFL game while the kids toss lawn darts at each other out back. Some places have it. My grandmas house does. Some places are working on it. Some places never will.

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#97 Unread post by roscowgo »

Good grief. I'm freakin tired. And sore. Have I mentioned tired? I've developed huge bags under my eyes. Bleh. People in their 20's, other than me ti seems, only need to sleep 5-6 hours during a weekend.

Went to the beach this weekend. Myrtle beach that is. Lord what a tourist trap. 30 dollar ball caps. 40 dollar t-shirts. 40 dollar buffets with 7 things on em. :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

Spent 80% of the time there shopping. I didn't wanna shop. the other three goombahs i went with wanted to shop. I have no idea what the appeal of staggering along with 1500 other out of town goobers, ohh-ing and aahing at shops with way way way overpriced crap, when its in the 90's, OUTSIDE, for 7 hours a day is. Eh. Funny part of the trip was, after spending all day becoming as exhausted as possible shopping, the dingbats I was with would all loudly declaim that the 2 hours we managed to spend in the ocean was WAY more fun than shopping. <sound of rosco gritting his teeth> Of course soon after making sure they vocalized how much Better playing in the water was, they would immediately make plans to haul "O Ring" the next day and repeat the performance. <sound of rosco chewing his liver>

Next time I go down there, i'm taking the bike, or i'll rent a scooter. Yall shop...i'm goin over this way for awhile.

I did find out that Jen is skeeeered to death of waves. Heh. Poor girl. She's so panicky. Managed to get her out to about upper thigh level, Just into the first lil calm spot where you don't get beat to death. Wave comes along thats about chest height.... picks her up an inch or two and sets her down. You woulda thought I poured a 5 gallon bucket of scorpions down her swimsuit before setting her on fire. I do have some lovely strangle marks from it though lol.

It seems south carolina doesn't have a helmet law. Good grief. out of the 3 or 400 bikes i saw down there, i counted 5 helmets. Eh, none of my business. I did see one guy on a KLR that was atgatt. I did feel sorry for him...he wasn't wearing mesh anything. I gave him a thumbs up and a nod at the gear at a light. He seemed startled and gave me the wave. :laughing: I must have looked forlorn and out of place on foot. :D

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#98 Unread post by roscowgo »

I finally managed to save up enough scratch to get a fresh tire on the rear. Good grief I wouldn't even use that thing as a tire swing now. Went with a Pirelli Mt66 on the rear this time. 124$. with mounting and balancing. sheesh. Glad my car tires arent that much. I think I spent 220 for a set of 4 last time I got some on my truck. It should be here thursday.

Jen is studying hard for her bike learners test so that she can do the MSF. That keeps me pretty excited. I think I told yall that she fell "O Ring" over teakettle in love with an older ls-650. That one took a walk shortly after we looked at it. I'm trying to point her toward a place in ohio that seems to have some very good deals. got an OTD quote of 3900 on a 0 mile 07. Over the phone. I like places that quote 400 under MSRP to random yahoos on the phone.

Girl has expensive tastes though. Most memorably she sent me to look at a fairly heavily customized wide glide. $$$ yeesh. Darlin You need a bike. Not a down payment on a house. Oh she called me the other day and asked if BMW made bikes.....and just how expensive were they? :shock: Maybe I can talk her into a 1200 GS and let her ride buelah while I work on iron butt patches :D

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

To the smacktards with my bike.

#99 Unread post by roscowgo »

Dear sir or madam,

I see that you have leapt full heartedly into the ownership of your 1992 katana. I realize your desire for your new motorcycle was intense, but in the future please refrain from creeping your sorry DNA gargling "O Ring" into the parking lot in the middle of the night and loading the steamwhistle onto a truck.

I would like to point out the many fine qualities of your new bike. First is either the bent frame, or the uneven forks. One of these two conditions will provide you with a lovely, refreshing, increasing severity headshake at speeds above 30 mph. Second I would like to draw your attention to the petcock, no doubt by now you've noticed there is no way to turn it off. Yes the gas gushing forth uncontrolled is a modification I worked long and hard to perfect, enjoy it. Light up a smoke. Live it up. Thirdly, you have undoubtedly by now also noticed that the bike won't run. This is due to all 4 carburetors being in a bucket behind my house. A safety feature all suzukis should adopt in my opinion. Had you not been in such a hurry to leave with said cycle you no doubt would have looked under the unbolted gas spewing fuel tank and taken notice of this.

And lastly dear sir or madam, I would like to take this chance to congratulate you on your evident wisdom, in going for the semi vintage choice in bikes. By choosing the non-running, dangerously unsafe, low monetary value katana to steal. Instead of the new C50, or perhaps the unchained brand new SV-650 sitting 20 feet away. You have shown the true judgment of a true mental Giant. Indeed I would go so far as to speculate that you are in fact a card carrying MENSA member. Please feel free to call again and leave more footprints from the gummy mixture of spilled gas and asphalt.

Sheesh. Not only is my bike stolen. It was stolen by a "procreating" mentally challenged. Not just any mentally challenged. This is one of those special "exceptional people" that aren't allowed out of the basement without the shock collar around their nuts. Not that I'm unhappy that the "bloody" brain trust didn't take my working bike, or my rather nice neighbors brand new sv..... but gosh sam. Nothing on that bike was even bolted down. the tank would fall off if the "procreating" wind blew too hard. Why in the name of all thats "procreating" holy would you steal such an utterly worthless piece of "poo poo" bike? Not only does the "person of questionable DNA" not run at present, you can't even tinker with the thing to get it running because it HAS NO "procreating" CARBURETORS. The spewing gas thing? yep thats true. full 5 gallon tank. the petcock won't shut off. who the hell steals something like this? Would be like passing up a Ferrari for a wheelbarrow. A wheelbarrow thats on fire and coated with Ebola turds.

What the "fudge".

That is all.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#100 Unread post by Wrider »

Wow... just wow... Really sorry to hear it was stolen Rosco! That sucks! Although, did you have insurance on it? If so you'll probably get more than it was actually worth, if the condition you describe is accurate. And as for the neighbor's SV, where do you live??? :wink:
Anyway, again, sorry to hear that, let us know if you find anything out or if they return it with a note saying "That wasn't fair to us, we wanted to steal something with SOME value!"
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha