Dragged a knee but still have chicken strips??

Dichotomous
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by Dichotomous »

the further off your seat and dragging knee you are, the less lean angle you need for any given speed because your weight is shifted to the inside of the angle. so basically, if you had not dragged knee, you would have met your tires limit, and maybe passed it, and thats the scarey part on the street. I found no strips on my last set of tires and decided I needed to calm down in the corners
[img]http://forum.svrider.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/19909/bike%20girl%20bannar.JPG[/img]
Theres just something about a blue bike....
Throttle on man, Throttle on....

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#12 Unread post by Sev »

intotherain wrote:
Sev wrote: Don't worry about the chicken strips at all. The mark of an experienced rider isn't the amount of unused tire on his wheels, rather it's his ability to navigate the turns. .
heh say that to the guys around here! It's almost like the culture here. I try not to listen but it reels me in. I was almost tempted to ride in a t shirt to fit in with the rest of the gang at my school.

Anyways, I hate riding like a racer in blind curves because I think it is dumb so I take just this one corner very hard. If I fall, atleast I know there is no cows or cars to run me over.
Like I said, the mark of an experienced rider :D hahaha.

Personally, I know I'll never be the fastest, but I don't normally have trouble catching or passing the guys who think they're fast.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#13 Unread post by Shorts »

Dichotomous wrote:the further off your seat and dragging knee you are, the less lean angle you need for any given speed because your weight is shifted to the inside of the angle. so basically, if you had not dragged knee, you would have met your tires limit, and maybe passed it, and thats the scarey part on the street. I found no strips on my last set of tires and decided I needed to calm down in the corners

I agree.

DH on his Ducati has his strips all about worn. Funny thing is, he's a fairly straight laced rider. Which I think is an example of what Dichotomous is describing here.

This last ride yesterday we took curves faster than posted, I still have lean angle on the bike and my tires...DH is on the edge with his and the fat tire out back. I winced a few times checking my rear views as he's really pressing to make the curve. I guess he/we should slow down or start moving on the seat :lol:

What about tire width. Can anyone elaborate more on how that would also elicit the responses it does in regards to lean angles in corners?

hi-side
Elite
Elite

#14 Unread post by hi-side »

My guess is that your body position is screwed up.. on both sides.

When you lean off your spine should remain parallel to the centerline of the bike. Your inside elbow should point down. You should have no weight on your hands...

It should look alot like this...

I'm the instructor in the back, spine is parallel to the centerline of the bike but over to the side... watching my student (who also happens to be an 8x amatuer regional champion in California) while also watching my own line.

Me again #161 racing in Las Vegas... note the body position

And then going the opposite direction... just because its a cool pic :lol:

Again, the California Superbike School teaches proper body position. I highly recommend it.

Jadien
Elite
Elite

#15 Unread post by Jadien »

^^^^ I can't wait until I'm that good. Experienced Rider Course, here I come! (Yes, I know that the ERC won't teach me to do that, but it's the next step in the sequence.)
The Man, The Myth, The Legend

2004 SV650S

shalihe74
Legendary
Legendary

#16 Unread post by shalihe74 »

Ooooh, that's just wicked. :drool2: So want a track day... :drool2:

And good teaching, too. I'm going to have to work on keeping my spine aligned when leaning. :)
[b][i]"Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want." [/i]

2009 Triumph Sprint ST - daily commuter
2006 Triumph Daytona 675 - track bike
1999 Suzuki SV650 - track training bike[/b]

hi-side
Elite
Elite

#17 Unread post by hi-side »

You guys in Arizona, go out to Firebird. They have track days all the time. The beginner's group is a great place to start. I used to be an instructor for both the track orgs there as well. There is also racing there at Firebird. Ask any of the guys at the track about me. I raced there for 10 years - Hi-Side Racing (Terry). The track days also have instuctors for free, just ask.

Jadien
Elite
Elite

#18 Unread post by Jadien »

hi-side wrote:You guys in Arizona, go out to Firebird. They have track days all the time. The beginner's group is a great place to start. I used to be an instructor for both the track orgs there as well. There is also racing there at Firebird. Ask any of the guys at the track about me. I raced there for 10 years - Hi-Side Racing (Terry). The track days also have instuctors for free, just ask.
You mean for T.E.A.M. AZ? I've been thinking about going to one of those, but I want to get a solid year on a machine before I do that.
The Man, The Myth, The Legend

2004 SV650S

hi-side
Elite
Elite

#19 Unread post by hi-side »

TEAM Az does track days as well as AZ track days.

TEAM is good because all of the instructors in the beginner group are all MSF instructors so you not only get a good base, but they help you take it to the next level. Jack runs the track days as well as CCS-SW, the local race org and is a really good guy (and his wife is outstanding :shock: ) and Aaron is one fast little punk... and you can tell him I said that :lol:

I was the guy that the MSF instructors came to to go faster and I worked with the guys in the medium and fast groups all the way up to expert level racers.

Ted runs AZ track days and its also a good group of people.

And I'll be back in Phoenix in the spring and I'd be glad to introduce you around the paddock if you want.

shalihe74
Legendary
Legendary

#20 Unread post by shalihe74 »

A good buddy of mine is the director of rider training for AZTrackDay, and I've been meaning to do a day with them for a while now. It's just a matter of timing. :( They have one this Saturday but a) I need new tires (mine are nicely squared off. boo hoo.) and b) I have a prior commitment. Hopefully I can squeeze in one of the November dates...
[b][i]"Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want." [/i]

2009 Triumph Sprint ST - daily commuter
2006 Triumph Daytona 675 - track bike
1999 Suzuki SV650 - track training bike[/b]