Suzuki XF650 FREEWIND - battery help req'd

Hatman
Rookie
Rookie

Suzuki XF650 FREEWIND - battery help req'd

#1 Unread post by Hatman »

Hello all,

I've today tried to start my Freewind which I've had sat in my dry garage for the past 7 months untouched.

Not suprisingly it won't start...indeed not even any life shows on the LCD display and the lights/horn etc won't work at all. I'm not technically skilled but I've come to the conclusion I've propbably let the battery go flat!!

Here's the problem...How the dickens do I get at the battery? to recharge or replace....I managed to take a front bit of plastic off both front sides of the bike, having undone the only 2 allen key fixings...but both the rear side plastics seem to be held on by a fixing under the back bit of the seat.

So Ok, I tried to get the seat off...but can't work out how...There are no visible screws, bolts or nuts etc accessable which appear to hold the seat on.....But the seat seems fixed in the centre area as the front and back can be lifted slightly.

Looking up from under the rear wheel to the seat there is again nothing I can undo to release the seat fixings as it appears there are plastic mud splash guards protecting the heart of the motorcycle again without any fixings accessible...

I've seen under the rear plastics on the nearside and can see some electric bits so I feel sure the battery is on that side towards the centre of the bike.

Please can anyone out there guide me as to how to undo the seat and access the battery?

Please, please please.

Hatman. :?

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

#2 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

Go buy the shop manual. Preferably the factory one and not a Clymers (although it is better then nothing)

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by Sev »

Shouldn't there be a keyhole somewhere on the tail or the undertail that'll let you pop the seat off using the ignition key?
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Hatman
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by Hatman »

badinfluence - thanks for that helpful shopping tip :roll:

I still haven't worked it out yet...but when I do I'll post it here for others......I just thought an existing SUZUKI owner or motorcycle engineer/mechanic may already know and would like to share this info on this friendly forum?
:P

Hatman
Rookie
Rookie

sorted - so easy peasey

#5 Unread post by Hatman »

I can now share the big secret with you all.

Sev you were spot on - Thank you. :lol:

badinfluence :twisted: - you either didn't have clue or weren't prepared to share you knowledge - eitherway you spoke for the sake of it! :frusty:

All suzuki owners take note.

The ignition key goes into the helmet locking holder on the nearside rear of the motorcycle. When you turn this key and pull the front of the seat it'll come off as though it's never been attached.......So simple.

(there's a cable linkage connected to 2 retractable sprung catches which release a centre retainig pin for the whole seat! - How simple is that when you know how)! :D :D :D :D

It's easy when you know how... and I didn't even have to buy a manual to tell me how to charge a battery! :roll: :roll:

Hatman
Rookie
Rookie

sorted - so easy peasey

#6 Unread post by Hatman »

I can now share the big secret with you all.

Sev you were spot on - Thank you. :lol:

badinfluence :twisted: - you either didn't have clue or weren't prepared to share you knowledge - eitherway you spoke for the sake of it! :frusty:

All suzuki owners take note.

The ignition key goes into the helmet locking holder on the nearside rear of the motorcycle. When you turn this key and pull the front of the seat it'll come off as though it's never been attached.......So simple.

(there's a cable linkage connected to 2 retractable sprung catches which release a centre retainig pin for the whole seat! - How simple is that when you know how)! :D :D :D :D

It's easy when you know how... and I didn't even have to buy a manual to tell me how to charge a battery! :roll: :roll:

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

#7 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

Hatman,

badinfluence - you either didn't have clue or weren't prepared to share you knowledge - eitherway you spoke for the sake of it
!

No. A factory shop manual for your bike specific, continues to give and give and give once purchased. You, yes you can have all the answers at the tip of your fingers when you purchase this article. Never again be unprepared while wrenching!

Though the pages may turn black with oil stains from constantly being used and referenced, this is a sure sign you're on the right track in learning how your motorcycles functions, even small items like how to take the seat off :) !

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Sev »

The shop manual would have told you as well. It'll help you do a lot of other work on the bike should you choose to do said work.

I made a guess based on knowledge of other bikes. In something this simple that's not a big deal... but you cannot rely on the information of others when it comes to actual mechanical work. I would get it straight out of the manual.

I don't believe we have any Suzuki trained techs on the forum in any event.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]