Quick winterization question

buddhacide
Elite
Elite

Quick winterization question

#1 Unread post by buddhacide »

So, I winterized my bike yesterday. My friend has access to a climate controlled garage, which is nice. Anyway, we had the TM winterization guide in hand, and I think we did an ok job. However, one task did not go so well. When pouring oil into the spark plug holes, I dont think I got much in there (Got alot on the ground though). I'm just wonderring how vital a step this is. How bad would it be if one plug didnt get any oil (which I suspect. Conversely, how bad might it be if one got a little too much?
Current: 2008 Vulcan 900 custom
Previous: 1999 V-star 650 custom

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: Quick winterization question

#2 Unread post by jonnythan »

buddhacide wrote:So, I winterized my bike yesterday. My friend has access to a climate controlled garage, which is nice. Anyway, we had the TM winterization guide in hand, and I think we did an ok job. However, one task did not go so well. When pouring oil into the spark plug holes, I dont think I got much in there (Got alot on the ground though). I'm just wonderring how vital a step this is. How bad would it be if one plug didnt get any oil (which I suspect. Conversely, how bad might it be if one got a little too much?
Most people don't do that, and it seems to go OK.

You might want to go get a can of this:
http://www.pennzoil.com/products/marine ... g_oil.html

It's got a nice long nozzle that you just put in the spark plug hole. It's fogging oil meant specifically for this purpose (to spray into cylinders through the plug holes for winterization).

You can find it for about $4.99 at your local auto parts or boat supply store.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#3 Unread post by slimcolo »

Try an oil can or Turkey baster. Not enough could cause rust but is not likely. motors that sit may not have lube in cyl. and may cause excessive wear. (this can be proven in a lab but you'll probably never notice) Most people don't go through the trouble of doing this for winter storage, (more common for long term storage) even if it is a good idea. Too much oil will foul plugs. You only want to put enough in to cover top ring----DO NOT FILL CYL.

Also drain or stabalize fuel as it can go bad in a month. This means carbs (bowls) as well as tank. Also if you have a kickstarter on bike, kick over every two or three weeks while in storage without starting
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#4 Unread post by scan »

Also, if you want to get fancy about it, you can buy a can of fogger. You can get it at most places that sell small cylinder engines, so bike shops, snow mobile shops, and lawn places. It comes with a straw, like WD-40, and you spray it in the cylinder with the spark plug out. No mess. It even gives you an idea how to best fog the cylinder.

You could also take they bike out every once and a while in the cold season. If you run it once a month, you can blow off the storage steps. It is what I do, but mostly because I'm lazy, and secondly, I love riding on a freezing cold day and seeing all the shocked expressions on people's faces. 8)
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

buddhacide
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by buddhacide »

Thanks guys. Good info.
Current: 2008 Vulcan 900 custom
Previous: 1999 V-star 650 custom