Wrider's Scribblings

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#31 Unread post by Wrider »

Well, in the last week we've had two tests. First one I got a 98 on, had I not misread one question (Axial vs Radial loads on bearings) I would have gotten a 100. So I'm happy, but a little disappointed. The second one was on carbeurators and I got another 94 on it. Overall I'm enjoying the class, studying with friends that I've met, going to one friend's house tonight for dinner. Should be fun!

Also, I've worked for a security company twice now. Both times just acting as security/bouncer. Once at a frat's halloween party (eye candy galore) and last night at a local bar. Because the people were so well behaved and so numerous, they drafted me to help em out! lol So there I am, big me, security shirt, running dishes back and forth, washing them, helping out with whatever they needed. Not something you see every day!

In the end though, they really appreciated the help, and it kept me from being bored, so life is good!

Hope you're all having a good day!
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Cappy
Rookie
Rookie

MMI

#32 Unread post by Cappy »

Hello Wrider,

Been watching your posts for a while now and I find it to be interesting and informative , I too will be attending MMI in Phoenix starting in January 2008.

I am a retired firefighter of 22 years and now want to start a new career.

I have heard that the Phoenix facility is very strict on uniforms being worn at class, tardiness, testing, personal hygiene (no facial hair) and tobaco use what are your thoughts on this?

I also will be using my rv to live in where would you suggest to use?

I am 50 years old are there any my age in your class?
krandall

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#33 Unread post by Wrider »

Oh boy Oh boy!!! I get to post about something I know about!!! :laughing:

Alright, first things first, I'm surprised anyone reads my blog... lol

As for coming down here, that better mean we meet up! I'll still be down here til February of 09. If you haven't made housing reservations yet, do it ASAP.

As for being a firefighter, that's awesome, my dad and uncle are/were both firemen.

Yes, the Phoenix facility is VERY strict on it. You can have facial hair, but only neatly groomed (goatees, mustaches, shorter beards, the like). Uniforms MUST be worn to class. That means uniform shirt, long pants (blue, black, or khaki), and closed-toed shoes. Also must wear your name/ID badge at all times. Testing is strict, but my instructor is a fairly relaxed guy. Tobacco use... Smoking/chewing is permitted, but smoking must be done in certain areas only, some instructors will even deduct you professionalism points (30% of your grade) for smoking outside of those areas. Overall though, fair, and it really does help to get us prepped for shops and whatnot.

As for using the RV to live. There are dozens of RV parks around. The restrictions that have me limited to mine and mine alone are, in order.
1. Age/Shape of the RV. Most parks won't allow you period if you're over 10 years old. I'm in a 1987 30' 5th wheel that's in wonderful shape. If you're gonna have a problem with that, check into my place, Covered Wagon RV Park. You're going to want to talk to Lee. She'll talk your ear off but is a nice enough lady. (602) 242-2500. As for MMI students living here, we've got a total of 4 occupying 3 spots (two of the guys live together, friends since forever ago... lol)
2. Age. If you're under 50-65, a lot of the parks won't take you either. Plain and simple.
3. If you have a bike, some of the parks won't take you. Loud pipes and supersport squids stunting through the park have killed a lot of those places off. (Covered Wagon does allow motorcycles too btw)
Oh, and Covered Wagon is about 11.3 miles away from MMI, straight up I-17. Usually in the 5-5:30 traffic it takes about 15-20 minutes to get up there, so not bad at all.

As for age, there is no average age in the class. We have one 17 year old guy in our class, and the oldest is the father of another student in our class (came to class together). He's in his late 50s I believe. He's also scoring better on the tests than just about anyone else in the class. Most of our students are in mid-late 20s if I had to guess, but I've seen them all the way to late 60s there. You also won't feel left out. You may feel like we're all just kids (most of us are) but at least in my experience, they make everyone feel welcome, and most of the instructors are at least your age anyway, so there's a camaraderie there too!

Couple of warnings though. People from here drive insanely. If you knew me and my driving habits, and heard me say that, you'd be terrified... lol I like speed, weaving traffic has never been a problem for me, but people here are insane. Also, everyone drives fast, about 10-20 over the limit is average.based on what I've seen.

And a few questions. Are you going for the morning, day, or evening classes? What specialty/specialties? (Most people, except Harley, do more than one, I'm in Suzuki and Yamaha, thinking of adding Late-Model Harley on too) If you want I can also go pick up a copy of the housing helper form with a list of the RV parks on it and send that to you! Just let me know!

BTW, 5th test done today, last one before the final, another 94. Second one done, but the first left about 1/4 of her questions blank, and failed the test miserably, so yeah, I'm still king! lol JK JK
So yeah, that's my update. Taking the final next week either Tuesday or Wednesday, then flying home Thursday morning, headed back down to Phoenix on Sunday morning.
Wrider
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Cappy
Rookie
Rookie

#34 Unread post by Cappy »

Good to here from ya, man I asked for the info and you sure hooked me up. Thanks!

I talked to a rep from WyoTech today and that made me to rethink my options.

I do not intend to work for a major shop or dealer so the time spent that focuses on non essentials I feel would not be of benifit me as it would for some one wanting to get ahead in the business.

We discussed the training on different manufacturers and types of bikes I want to train on - they have three sections

- Asian ( metric)
- Euro
- Demestic
Additional on Harley of course.

They do offer the Honda specific as well

The rep said it really does'nt matter unless you do intend to seek employment with a dealer/shop.

The length of the course is about 9 months (I opted for Asian) but he said the traing will cover Harley and Honda anyway but without the specific certs.

The classes are from 7:00 am to 3:pm M-F (that leaves down time to go to the beach or Rothmyers etc.) another plus is that my course will still be going during Daytona Bike Week.

Altough dress codes are compairable it seems to be a little more relaxed at WyoTech.

Housing for my RV is mostly within 5 to 20 minutes away and averages from $450 to $700.00 monthly w/ water/cable tv/wyfi, electric is additional.
So to summerize

Coarse length
and oh, by the way the tuition is $21000.00
Scenery

So all I have to do now is make my mind up. Whatever I do I think we sould stay intouch and share info.

You wnet the x-tra mile helping me out with the info thanks for that. I will keep you posted.
krandall

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#35 Unread post by Wrider »

Fair enough man, I do understand you there. I'm 21 so I'm still seeking my career, hoping this will be it, otherwise it's one EXPENSIVE hobby lesson! lol

So I have to ask, what do you plan on doing if you don't want to work in a shop or dealership?

I do have to say, I did look into Wyotech, but honestly it didn't rate as highly with the manufacturers, the dealerships, or the service shops as MMI. We're also the only one sponsored by Harley, and are also sponsored by Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Honda.

Classes here are a little longer for us, but we also only have 5 hour days, three shifts starting at 7:30 AM and mine ends at 11:30 PM.

That's what my tuition is too actually, for Suzuki and Yamaha at a year and two months total.

Umm, what are the non-essentials?

That is one thing you'll miss out here is scenery... everything's flat. Coming from Colorado, I hate it. What they call mountains I call foothills! lol

Oh, and average here for rent is 450 (my place) to about 700 (really high end) with everything included except electricity. One guy lives near the school (newer RV and no bike) for 550/month, includes utilities, wifi, cable, pool tables, the works. Pretty nice place, I'd move in if I could! lol

Anyway, let me know if you want to visit or whatnot, you can stay at my place or I know a local Motel 6 that charges 40 bucks a night for clean rooms!
Wrider

Cappy
Rookie
Rookie

#36 Unread post by Cappy »

I forgot to tell ya that I live in a small community of about 21000 people and that I just plan on a mom and pop shop because the next city that has a dealership(s) is 65 miles away and people are tired of driving back and forth for minor repairs.

I agree that MMI does have a better reputation and that it has qualities that are very good and I feel that MMI may be a little more intense and I may even hold the class back at times.

What I meant by non-essential is that I was told by the MMI rep that a portion of the school is devoted to customer relations.

WyoTech does rate a little lower on the scale but I believe that it will be a little more to my needs. Besides what else does a 50 year old man that has been married for 29 years got to do but sit on beach with a beer and watch the scenery.

Don't get me wrong I do plan on performing good in my class work and get up to date with newer bikes. Harley does not readily except Wyo as a suitable training venue but I feel I will get enough out of the class to do what I need.

Besides I like the ocean.

LTR/RTL

Let me know how things are going with MMI
krandall

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#37 Unread post by Wrider »

Well personally I think anyone can do it, as long as they're decently committed. Might just be me of course, but I dunno, we've got some morons out here! lol

MMI Rep was accurate in that they definitely try to help you understand customer relations. There is not a certain class just for it. It's kinda incorporated into it...

The beach... Now that does sound interesting! lol I'd love to be on the beach at the Orlando campus, but I'd never go to class, I'd be on the beach checking out the scenery too! :laughing:
Beer would be optional, sunglasses required... :wink:

Will do, let me know how Wyotech treats ya!

Wrider

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#38 Unread post by Wrider »

WWWoooooHHHoooo!!!!!!!! Done with theory!!!

Passed the theory final with a 91% WOOT! Not bad, was hoping for higher, but considering that's my lowest score so far, I'm happy overall. Overall my average for both theory classes was a 95%. Not bad, not bad at all.

The funniest part though? There's a girl in our class who claims to personally know the Orange County Inbreds, has a bike by them (a gift of course). Oh, she's also sponsored in dirt-bike racing by Yamaha, rides a 250. Also funny, because there's no way a girl her size would even be competitive on a 250. Oh, and she apparently modified it for street use too... Not to mention her Grand National that runs the 1/4 in under 8 seconds of course!
But I digress...
Anyway, with all the modifications and her experience with bikes and all, you'd think she'd fly through theory right? Wrong! 69.5% In our class a 70% is the min for passing. So wow... just wow... Amazing the people who get caught in their own lies isn't it??? Yeah, she wouldn't touch my bike with a ten foot pole... *Shakes head sadly* Some people...

Anyway, all done with theory, now on to Clinic 1, where I get to learn to use micrometers and other measuring devices of minuscule scale and fine accuracy!
Wrider

AZRider
Elite
Elite

#39 Unread post by AZRider »

Sounds like things are going good.
Im glad you started a blog, lets me know some of the ins of the school. still thinking about going. Maybe next spring or summer.Got some problems right now. Also need to figure out living arrangements and such. Would more than likely commute.
Kawi VN1600

I dont give a damn what the name on the bike is..........Just ride it.

AZRider: Never met a bike he didnt like.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#40 Unread post by Sev »

Better buy a magnifying glass. Those micrometers are pesky. LoL
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]