Taking MSF Course.....What should I expect?

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#21 Unread post by jstark47 »

HSM- congrats on passing your course!

About your first bike - it depends on what you mean by "keep up on the highway." If you mean cruise at 60-65 mph, yes, the 250cc cruisers can do that. They don't have a lot in reserve at that speed, but they'll perform adequately.

Where I live (central NJ), "keep up on the highway" at commute time means 80mph minimum, and "keep safe" means cruise at 85-90mph. That speed puts me in the left lane, just slightly faster than traffic flow, which is safest. The 250cc cruisers would be screaming their lungs out, although a Ninja 250 probably could do it - its engine is set up differently.

For everything except "interstate rush hour supercruise", 250cc cruisers are fine bikes.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

dean owens
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

#22 Unread post by dean owens »

Hotscootermama wrote:I PASSED!!! WOOO HOOOO :bliss: now for my lisence and A BIKE!! Ya know I thought I knew what I wanted but after taking the course I want to start out with something different. I want something in the 250cc range. a GZ@%) or a nighthawlk or even....do I dare say it... a Rebel. I thought it looked small, but I hadn't driven yet. Now I think it is perfect for me to start with. As long as I can keep up on the highway without blowing it up I'm happy!!! :hurrah:
the great thing about that range is that there are always people starting out so you can usually find one in that range that is used in good condition for a good price. and after you out grow it you should be able to sell it for about the same price.

another range to look at if you can find one in good condition or you know someone who can do some tinkering.... maybe you could look into something along the lines of an 80's honda cb 350-450 range. they are still smaller but have a little more engine to them. and they look so cool too.

also, have you gone and sat on bikes? i recently went riding with some friends... one of them had a honda shadow 600. i was surprised how small it felt. although it has about the same sized engine as mine, there is no way i could ride it. i would have been cramped and uncomfortable. if you're not comfortable you're not going to ride it very often.
Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Faster Blue)

Previous: 1983 Honda GL650 Interstate (given back to previous owner)

Project: 1980 CX500 Custom - making a cafe racer

Hotscootermama
Rookie
Rookie

#23 Unread post by Hotscootermama »

Believe me I have done some sitting and some tip toeing and some " will hold this up so I can sit on it please". I like the shadows, and for someone my size, 5'1" I VERY limited, unless of cousre I buy some 6" platform shoes :roll: My BF would like to see me on a Ninja eventually. He thinks it is a good idea for me to start on a cruiser though till I improve on my skills. They asked at the end of the last day who didn't already have a bike......I was the only one :crybaby: , but not for long. I was thinking about the vstar 650 but my leg rests on the exhaust when I stand it up. I live in South east Texas so if anyone know a good place to look for a bike let me know.
Life is a Joy!

Hotscootermama
Rookie
Rookie

#24 Unread post by Hotscootermama »

It's official!! I got my license today!!!! WOO HOO! I only missed 2 on the test :pbjt:
Life is a Joy!

dean owens
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

#25 Unread post by dean owens »

Hotscootermama wrote:Believe me I have done some sitting and some tip toeing and some " will hold this up so I can sit on it please". I like the shadows, and for someone my size, 5'1" I VERY limited, unless of cousre I buy some 6" platform shoes :roll: My BF would like to see me on a Ninja eventually. He thinks it is a good idea for me to start on a cruiser though till I improve on my skills. They asked at the end of the last day who didn't already have a bike......I was the only one :crybaby: , but not for long. I was thinking about the vstar 650 but my leg rests on the exhaust when I stand it up. I live in South east Texas so if anyone know a good place to look for a bike let me know.
wow, you are a short one. i will say, the rider of the shadow 600 i was talking about is probably pretty close to 5'1" and he had height to spare. but if you are a smaller woman, a rebel might not be that bad. just make sure it fits. if you want a ninja 250 and if fits, go ahead and get that. it's still a nice starter bike.

and congrats. it is a nice feeling to know you've passed. now you have the winter to find the perfect bike for this year :lol:
Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Faster Blue)

Previous: 1983 Honda GL650 Interstate (given back to previous owner)

Project: 1980 CX500 Custom - making a cafe racer

Malinkz
Rookie
Rookie

#26 Unread post by Malinkz »

well pray for me mine is coming up and congrats again on passing
Louisiana I love you yea

Hotscootermama
Rookie
Rookie

#27 Unread post by Hotscootermama »

Thank you. Yeah, I hear that alot. I'm looking for something used until I improve on my new found skills. My boyfriend just bought a new ZX14. WOW NICE BIKE!! Rides great! ANyway we are looking for me something to buy around income tax time, in the $1700 range so if ya'll know of anything not too far from the Golden Triangel here in SE Texas, let me know.

I will pray for you, but don't stress, that just makes it seem harder than it really is. :motorcycle:
Life is a Joy!