fuel stops flowing

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#11 Unread post by Johnj »

OK try this. Get a fuel tank off an old lawn mower. Get 3 feet of ¼inch hose, a ¼inch connector, and an in-line fuel filter. Cut the hose in two so you have a 1 foot and a 2 foot section. Install the filter with the 1 foot section to the inlet and the 2 foot section on the outlet. Place the short hose to the tank and the ¼inch connector on the other end. (I used a plastic ¼inch shut-off valve from a plumbing supply store instead.) Now you have a small tank that you can test with.

Use this to test your tank. If you can run one of these dry the problem is your tank. If you can't replace the hose between the tank, including the fuel filter, to the carbs.

MexicanMafia
Rookie
Rookie

#12 Unread post by MexicanMafia »

cool, you think that a 1 gallon gas can will do the same thing?? thanks.

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#13 Unread post by Johnj »

No, a 1 gallon gas can doesn't have anyway to connect a hose. Get a tank off a push lawn mower.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

XJRJohn
Elite
Elite

#14 Unread post by XJRJohn »

Just a thought,but are you sure theres somthing wrong with the fuel lines?When the carbs are full the fuel will flow slowly and through an in line filter will appear to have stopped flowing.Run the bike till it cuts out and fuel stops flowing ,then open the overflow on the bottom of one of the carbs and if fuel comes through youre still getting fuel.You might then have to look somewhere else for the problem.xjrjohn
biking isnt a matter of life or death,its far more important(bill shankley,well almost)

techyguru
Regular
Regular

#15 Unread post by techyguru »

When you say you can see it stop flowing, do you mean that there is still gas there but it isn't moving, or the gas is leaving the line and it becomes empty?

If the gas is still present and just stationary, the problem may be due to a blockage in the carbs or something else stalling out the bike. In this case the engine wouldn't be using any gas so it would stop moving.

If the fuel line is empty of all gas I would suspect a problem before the line.

The other possibility is your gas line is air tight and thus it cannot empty out, in which case it could be a blockage before or after the line.