Two wheels move the soul!"

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#2 Unread post by Brackstone »

dr_bar wrote:You stop breathing while sleeping on your bike??? :roll: :laughing:
Haha no,

Sleep Apnea has had a pretty devastating effect on my life it continues to do so. As a doctor I'm sure you are aware of the many illnesses that Sleep Apnea can also cause.

However even with the proper DME it still doesn't mean every night is a success. Some nights my mask may leak, or come off.

When I'm not sleeping properly with my equipment I wake up 40 times an hour. I won't realize it till the next day and it makes the next day suck really bad.

I'm missing out on the REM stage 4 I believe which is muscle regeneration etc. etc. So it makes me feel pretty weak and I usually have a pretty bad headache that just doesn't go away.

Alot of people just give up hope and never go for treatment. Some people GET treatment and get equipment but give up TOO SOON because they don't see noticeable results right away and they don't like equipment.

I'm trying to be a beacon as much of a success story as I guess I can be rated. I want to make sure people see there are people out there that have this condition and can still lead a normal life and do things that require you to be awake, alert, and have good reflexes.

*Moderator* Could you please split this into another thread for me? :)
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#3 Unread post by dr_bar »

Brackstone wrote:
dr_bar wrote:You stop breathing while sleeping on your bike??? :roll: :laughing:
As a doctor I'm sure you are aware of the many illnesses that Sleep Apnea can also cause.

Having suffered sleep apnea, (a very mild case) I'm quite aware of what you're going through. Just FYI, read the first post in my blog...:roll:

viewtopic.php?t=5014
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

dablade
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2004 GL1800 ABS

#4 Unread post by dablade »

After being treated for sleep apnea, I realized how this affected the quality of my life, and the lives of others.
The opportunity presented itself to encourage my wife to become a polysomnographic technologist. (Polysomnographic Technologists perform sleep studies and other duties applicable to the diagnosis and treatment of sleep apnea). She was looking for an interesting career change, and there just happens to be a good school for that in nearby Tampa.
She graduates in June, and I am thrilled that she has an opportunity to help others with sleep apnea.
Regards,
Perry

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#5 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

This thread has been split out from the roboscooter one in the talk forum
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#6 Unread post by Brackstone »

dablade wrote:After being treated for sleep apnea, I realized how this affected the quality of my life, and the lives of others.
The opportunity presented itself to encourage my wife to become a polysomnographic technologist. (Polysomnographic Technologists perform sleep studies and other duties applicable to the diagnosis and treatment of sleep apnea). She was looking for an interesting career change, and there just happens to be a good school for that in nearby Tampa.
She graduates in June, and I am thrilled that she has an opportunity to help others with sleep apnea.
Regards,
Perry
That is a great story blade. My Tech was very nice to me and made my stay very easy. I asked for when I had to return at a later date. The world needs more techs like this and I'm sure your wife will be a great asset.

Big B
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#7 Unread post by Big B »

i took a swing at my tech while she was trying to untangle me from all of the cords hanging off of me :oops:

i guess it was just instinct waking up in a strange place with someone reaching down at me in the dark, good thing i didn't connect :shock:
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#8 Unread post by Brackstone »

Big B wrote:i took a swing at my tech while she was trying to untangle me from all of the cords hanging off of me :oops:

i guess it was just instinct waking up in a strange place with someone reaching down at me in the dark, good thing i didn't connect :shock:
LOL

Wow that would've made a funny news story. You know what though? I bet if you DID connect it would've changed hospital policies all across the country.

Techs would ask each other "Have you taken the necessary precautions incase of a Big B Scenario?"

At the watercooler they would gossip

Guy1: "Oh yeah I was watching someones video feed when she went to unhook this one guy and he totally Big B'd her"
Guy2: "No Way!"
Guy1: "Oh yeah, she never saw it coming. Should've been wearing her headgear"

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#9 Unread post by roscowgo »

I have that crap. It sucks. I was diagnosed a long time ago. I'm going to ask the doc thursday for another sleep study. Hopefully this time I'll be able to afford a machine :D

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#10 Unread post by Brackstone »

roscowgo wrote:I have that "crumb". It sucks. I was diagnosed a long time ago. I'm going to ask the doc thursday for another sleep study. Hopefully this time I'll be able to afford a machine :D
You don't have medical insurance or they don't cover it?