So, you're at a stoplight...

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#11 Unread post by roscowgo »

I asked directions of another rider that pulled up next to me in Fredericksburg Va, this summer. As the traffic in that place resembles a snail marathon, we had plenty of time to chat.

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#12 Unread post by Brackstone »

I'd wait to see if a rider waves me up usually. But I think asking for directions shouldn't be a problem.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#13 Unread post by flynrider »

Brackstone wrote:The AMA site lists the laws but for my state it says that "Lane Splitting" is "Not Mentioned in Statutes". But then I've had people tell me I'll get a ticket for it anyway.
You're likely to get a ticket for lane splitting pretty much anywhere but California. That's where you ride your bike between two established lanes of traffic.

What the OP is describing is called "lane sharing". Two bikes in the same lane. This is more widely accepted, but I have heard that it's not allowed in a few states. Not sure if the AMA has that data (site seems to be down right now).

I generally don't share a lane with another motocyclist unless I know him, or have been waved up at a light. Some people don't like it, so I think the proper etiquette is not to just crowd into someone else's lane uninvited.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

Pittance
Veteran
Veteran

#14 Unread post by Pittance »

Ah, I see. I had lane splitting and lane sharing confused. I know that sharing is allowed here in NC since Ive seen tons of people do it, even around cruisers. And splitting I guess is more weaving inbetween lanes of traffic (on the lines) which seems wildly dangerous and rude.

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#15 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

Pittance wrote:Ah, I see. I had lane splitting and lane sharing confused. I know that sharing is allowed here in NC since Ive seen tons of people do it, even around cruisers. And splitting I guess is more weaving inbetween lanes of traffic (on the lines) which seems wildly dangerous and rude.
Lane splitting/filtering/whatever you like to call it, is an oddity

Generally any biker where its legal, can't see a problem with it, and ones where its illegal look upon it with disdain.

Over here it is legal, and I will filter whenever its appropriate. I think there are two major differences in the perceptions.
As it is legal here, car drivers are exposed to it frequently, and in most cases expect it. A country/state that changed the rules to allow it one day would scare me senseless.
The other difference is the lack of thought into the fact that the traffic is headed in the same direction - slowly. Typically I'll only be doing ~10mph more than the traffic, I can easily see anyone who is maneuvering to change lanes because my eyes are open and looking ahead. If necessity requires I can very quickly strim off those 10mph, as my hands will already be covering the brake and clutch.

As for rudeness, if all the bikers sat in the lines of traffic, the tailbacks would take even longer to get through. If a bike is moving its not adding to the congestion problem, and everyone gets to their destinations quicker. Even when I filter to the front at a roundabout or junction of some form, I will use my acceleration to get ahead of the traffic, and not hold up any of the cars either side waiting for me to go.

Hope this adds a new view on things
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

Meanie
Legendary
Legendary

#16 Unread post by Meanie »

As was mentioned, lane sharing differs from lane splitting. All states disallow lane splitting,, though some authorities will overlook it. Many allow lane sharing but recommend staggered riding. The true legalities of the road are the same as a parking space. A motorcycle is entitled to a full lane use. As was also mentioned, if a rider is in the center lane at a light, I wouldn't approach them on the side. If they are one side of the lane, it could be an invited for another rider but could also mean they prefer staying to one side.

I wouldn't approach another rider at a light unless it was to alert them of a problem or a very quick question with a quick response such as directions.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#17 Unread post by Brackstone »

Pittance
Veteran
Veteran

#18 Unread post by Pittance »

Thanks guys. That helped a lot Nibblet. I know that wouldn't work in this country, or at least not around here in NC. If I rode between lines of traffic at rush hour around here, i doubt Id get more than 100 feet before someone got angry and tried to crash me.
Its very cutthroat around here it feels. People wait until the last second in an on-ramp ending-lane to merge so that they can get ahead of everyone else. I've (and seen others) had to block the dissappearing lanes multiple times to keep people from flying 40mph faster down one. But they just swerve to the shoulder half the time anyways. :(
It'd be nice to live somewhere where people are more concerned with the health of traffic and everyone getting home faster rather than just them.

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#19 Unread post by koji52 »

Pittance wrote:Thanks guys. That helped a lot Nibblet. I know that wouldn't work in this country, or at least not around here in NC. If I rode between lines of traffic at rush hour around here, i doubt Id get more than 100 feet before someone got angry and tried to crash me.
Its very cutthroat around here it feels. People wait until the last second in an on-ramp ending-lane to merge so that they can get ahead of everyone else. I've (and seen others) had to block the dissappearing lanes multiple times to keep people from flying 40mph faster down one. But they just swerve to the shoulder half the time anyways. :(
It'd be nice to live somewhere where people are more concerned with the health of traffic and everyone getting home faster rather than just them.
Stay away from NJ then. Everything you described is normal in this area.
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#20 Unread post by Brackstone »

koji52 wrote: Stay away from NJ then. Everything you described is normal in this area.
This is true,

I went out with a nice girl from West Virgina once. She scared me to death with her driving out there simply because half the stuff she did would've killed us in Jersey.

She decided to drive to Jersey to be with me and proclaimed (after arriving) that she will NEVER drive in Jersey again :)