Do you think riding at night or day is safer?

Is it safer to ride at night, or day

Poll ended at Tue May 13, 2008 3:11 pm

Day, because more sunlight.
62%
Night, other drivers can see you Better
21%
I could care less, both are dangerous. oh, and i'm chuck norris, so i'm invincible
17%

Total votes: 29

SBK15
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Do you think riding at night or day is safer?

#1 Unread post by SBK15 »

Ok, Some people thing riding at night is safer, because othe cars see your lights better...and they notice you from miles away.
Some people say riding in the day is safer, because your normally more awake, and there's daylight so you can see EVERYTHING.
What's your oponion?
Thanks!
-2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Current Ride
-2007 Suzuki DR650 - Sold
-2007 Kawasaki Eliminator - Sold

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#2 Unread post by slimcolo »

Forgot that at night there is far less traffic. The majority of night drivers are more relaxed due to the fact that most work related commuting is during the day. (night drivers are more travelers and less commuters) In most areas the low volume of traffic at night compensates for other dangers, (lower visibility, nocturnal animals) except at bar rush (or Denver after a Bronco's game). Also due to teen curfews most night time drivers are older and more experienced. (18 or 21+) Many older (senior) drivers will not drive at night. Most deliveries are during the day. Also oversize loads and most hazardous cargo cannot be on hiway after dark. (also true of most farm EQ) Most road construction is done in the day. There is no sun in your eyes at night. (If there is your in Alaska or Canada) And besides you can't see to text at night.

After years of graveyards, I nod during the day (esp. morning) but am wide awake at night! I prefer riding at night under a full moon.
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#3 Unread post by dr_bar »

More DUI's at night.

If you're hard to see during the day, do you really think night is any better???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#4 Unread post by jstark47 »

At night, your headlights form a point of light. Cars tend to assume that point is a car a long way off, not a motorcycle close by. I get more people cutting out or turning left in front of me at night.

The other problem is I don't see as well at night as I used to, so I stay off unfamiliar roads.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#5 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

All else being equal, sure, riding during the day is safer, but as others have mentioned, too many other variables aside from the presence of daylight (notably traffic). Between riding home at 5pm in rush hour traffic and riding home a coupla hours later, I'd definitely feel safer with the latter.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

gypsy_woman
Regular
Regular

night

#6 Unread post by gypsy_woman »

I work graveyard but whenever i am out joyriding at all hours i find that there is less traffic, which is nice. but i live in a small town so there is rarely very much traffic.
"Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose" -Janis Joplin-

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#7 Unread post by ofblong »

basically it depends on where you live. Where I am I fear hitting a dear during the night time hours and yes it is a real danger. Very rarely do I go a night without seeing at least one deer. yes i work 3rd shift. So to me daylight riding is safer for most aspects. but like was mentioned you dont have the road rage cagers during the evening hours that you do during day time hours.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

livetoride1234
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by livetoride1234 »

jstark47 wrote:At night, your headlights form a point of light. Cars tend to assume that point is a car a long way off, not a motorcycle close by. I get more people cutting out or turning left in front of me at night.

The other problem is I don't see as well at night as I used to, so I stay off unfamiliar roads.
i had that happen lots of times. I also like day time because deer are crazy out by my place. i had a close call two seasons ago, rabbits to, those little hopping F***. :x
ride it like it was stolen

mrflamewerks
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by mrflamewerks »

Around here, with thick woods, sometimes right to the edge of the road, and a plethora of Bambi and company, night riding can be a bit treacherous.
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that genius has its limits.

[img]http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w206/flamewerks_bucket/avatar-flamewerks-thunderbird-rt.gif[/img]

Yamaha Couple
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by Yamaha Couple »

I think day is safer
Yamaha Couple
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxim (Wife's)
2003 Honda Rebel 250CC (Sold)
1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200 CC (Hubbies)