What are your concerns when out on your Motorcycle.

Buelligan
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by Buelligan »

I've done the gravel thing already, I was only 1/2 block from home and was doing a rolling stop from a sign to hang a left at a T intersection. I had only been riding about 2 months (amazing how quickly you can form those bad habits). It was pouring with rain, and there was gravel on the road at the junction, I realized there was a car, hit the brakes quick (I was barely moving) next thing I knew bike was on its side, and I was there with it!!!
The people in the car asked if I wanted help, I said' "no thank-you;" from my comfortable reclined position. I got my bike up very quickly (didn't want anyone local to see me), then it wouldn't start. The car came by again, offered help, again declined but this time from a more upright position.
No damage to the bike or me, but I have a lot of respect now for gravel or anything which resembles it!
Black - 2004 Buell XB9S Lightening

amstaffmom
Regular
Regular

#12 Unread post by amstaffmom »

Yes it is amazing how that rolling stop because a very bad habbit. lol!

I think other driver's scare me the most. It was toss up between that and 4 legged critters.

Jean

chickenhawk
Veteran
Veteran

#13 Unread post by chickenhawk »

[quote="blues2cruise"]My biggest concern is that when I stop for a red light the person behind me won't stop in time.
So, I try to make sure I leave plenty of room in front of me quote]

I leave a lot of room in front when I'm last in line at a stop light, too. Just in case I need to do the quick hop to the side if the driver approaching isn't paying attention.

Otherwise, parking lots make me a little nervous. Too much going on to keep track of.

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#14 Unread post by scan »

My biggest concern. Everyone else is out to kill me.

Other than that I just enjoy the ride. :twisted:
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

Rebeccaatthewell
Veteran
Veteran

#15 Unread post by Rebeccaatthewell »

blues2cruise wrote:My biggest concern is that when I stop for a red light the person behind me won't stop in time.
That's it for me. But I am also afraid of getting too comfortable riding. Most wrecks that I know of have been in situations where the bike being faster and more manoverable could have possibly avoided the wreck, but the riders have all been ones who have been riding for many many years and they just became what I would call too comfortable with the ride. All of them were excellent riders and very possibly could have avoided the accident had they been more aware of their surroundings. Since I have a tendancy to "zone" when I drive a car, I really have to watch myself now that I am getting comfortable with riding and constantly remind myself to pay attention to the guy in front and the guy comming up behind and the person to the side and the person at the stop light that does not have the right away but might not see me... etc...etc...etc...

I don't have to worry about droping the bike because I did that during the MSF course in front of the entire class. :oops:

Becca
The only time when evil can triamph, is when good men do nothing!

Buelligan
Elite
Elite

#16 Unread post by Buelligan »

Me too!!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Better to do it there with their motorcycle and learn how to pick it up, than later on your own bike!!!!!!! So think of it as a good learning experience. :mrgreen:
Black - 2004 Buell XB9S Lightening

Rebeccaatthewell
Veteran
Veteran

#17 Unread post by Rebeccaatthewell »

Well :oops: to be honest, I did let my bike slide down in some soft sand infrount of my gate one night, but it was late and no one saw me do it. :whistling: :whistling: Picking up a 250 at MSF class and picking up an 800 is a BIGGGGGG differance. In fact I think I could pretty much guarantee that is the most heavy thing that I am capable of picking up, I didn't think I was going to be able to manage it, but I am very persesistant. :D
The only time when evil can triamph, is when good men do nothing!

amstaffmom
Regular
Regular

#18 Unread post by amstaffmom »

It is soo embarrassing to lay the bike down. The 3rd time I was on my bike I took it to the end of our road and went to turn around. I screwed up. Wasn't looking where I was suppose to be looking, cut back totally on the throttle (big no no) and the bike stalled and started tipping. I just layed it down easy. I couldn't get that thing up fast enough! lol! Then running down their back yard are two young guys, about 22 years old. Saying are you ok, do you need help! I'm think "No, just get me the hell out of here" Of course they wanted to check the bike out, I told them I'm just learning and we talked for about 5 mins. Then I took off. That was so embarrassing! lol! Oh well!

Jean

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#19 Unread post by ZooTech »

Most of the deaths I hear about involve cars going left of center on blind curves and hitting unsuspecting bikers in the process. I suppose that's always in the back of my mind, as well as hitting loose gravel during heavy banking. But, for the most part, I ride to get away from my worries, not add to them...so I just try to relax and enjoy the wind in my hair and the torque at my wrist.

Blexcroid
Rookie
Rookie

#20 Unread post by Blexcroid »

My biggest fear is being rear-ended at a stop and a driver (who is too busy talking on their cell phone) moves into my lane. For the former, I always leave LOTS of space in front of me and watch until there are two cars stopped behind me, then I'll start scanning between the light, looking R&L, & checking my mirrors. (Funny how those MSF habits stick!)
For the latter, I watch the front wheels of vehicles around me. I find I notice the front wheel turn before I notice the vehicle move. I'm glad my MSF instructors taught us these habits-- they've already saved my skin. :wink: