Oh so true!

beemer_scoot
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Oh so true!

#1 Unread post by beemer_scoot »

I started riding again in 2000, after 19 years without a bike. Being honest here, I'm glad that I started out again with a lower horsepower, older bike. I'm convinced that saved me alot of pain and suffering.

About my third week on the bike, I had to pull out in traffic from between parked cars and I just could not see what was coming. I got nervous and this caused me to gun the bike more than I wanted too, and I ended up shooting all the way across the street. There's no doubt in my mind that if I'd have been on a sport bike I would have gotten hurt....big time!

Even the brakes on so many of these newer bikes are too powerful to learn on. I know of one guy that bought a big Harley to learn on. In a panic stop he managed to apply too much front brake and flipped that monster.

Motorcyles are fun! But the most important aspect of riding is to stay safe. You just can't overlook that. As far as I'm concerned, you're not an expert rider unless you've wrecked at least 20 bikes. You just don't know the limits of motorcycles until you've exceeded those limits. By that standard most all riders, even with 20 years of experience are not expert riders.....they just think they are. How many people can afford to wreck 20 bikes? Of that bunch, how many will still be alive?

I don't ever want to be an expert rider.......I just want to have fun. :D

Ready2Ride
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

First Bikes

#2 Unread post by Ready2Ride »

I agree whole heartedly, with starting out on a smaller bike. I did, after taking the course and rode it for a year. A woman sold me my first one, Yamaha Virago 535, which she and several other friends also learned on. I have since sold it to a sweet lady just getting into riding. It also took me that long to figure out what I wanted for my next bike, which is a Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 800. I am now contemplating a sport bike for a different feel, time will tell. P.S. I started riding at 50, and wish I had started sooner! :D
Where there's a will, there's a way! Ride on!

WayneH600
Rookie
Rookie

Lady lion Bravo for your explaining bikes to big

#3 Unread post by WayneH600 »

I just found this forum and I'm really impressed, I wish I found it long ago. I've been riding for 8 years now and I don't care what people think about this size of my bike. I started out on a honda rebel and rode it for 2 years. I bought a Honda Shadow 600 and have been perfectly happy with it. My freinds sometines make fun of me in jest because they all ride 1100 and up. But I'm confortable on my 600. This year my wife decided to try and ride so I bought her a used rebel. Since I had to teach her and i wanted to hone my skills I bought Jerry Palladinos ride like a pro advanced cd(great cd). So while teaching the wife I bring cones for me. I'm having a blast working with her and getting better myself. .
. To many riders jump to quickly onto bikes that are to big bike to impress others. Thats a quick way to the hospital or mourge. I like you feel you must get started with something small and work on you skills prior to getting something to big, By the way. Used rebel $1200.00, plus new tire and inspection, I'm into it for $1500.00. I can use it for 2 years and easly get my money back, So if theres any begginers get a used bike, take off the mirrors and light and practice. Just think of how you would feel dropping your new $7500 bike. If you drop the used one, no harm done. thats what its for to learn. :P
Ride Smart,Ride Happy

xci.ed6
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by xci.ed6 »

I started on a trail 70, and rode that for 4 years ;) Then moved on to a Ninja 250. They get put down alot because of their size, a little because of the looks (easy to fix, but no worries now, the new 250 makes me want another :drool:). Fact is they are great bikes. The super short gearing makes them quicker than most cars, even with only 28 horsepower. They even turn better than you can use legally on any public road. My uncle has been riding for 20+ years, and rides like 10,000mi per year and ended up with a Ninja 250 a couple years ago, turns out they are even great long distance bikes (he commuted 120 miles per day on it). You really can't beat the value, I bought mine for $1k, put on 2kmi and sold it for $1k. Insurance was $72 per YEAR.

I've ridden alot of the newer, faster machines. There is really no point to them. Absolutely terrifyingly fast, and brakes that make it feel like your eyes are being sucked out. So yeah I want one, but why buy something I can't use. I'll stick to my classics for now.

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#5 Unread post by Brackstone »

Great article.

Oh and what year was the GSXRCBRZXR manufactured? I don't believe I've seen that model! ;)
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#6 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

Brackstone wrote:Great article.

Oh and what year was the GSXRCBRZXR manufactured? I don't believe I've seen that model! ;)
Blast, I tried to find a pic of one, but google shows no images for kawayamahondazuki's
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#7 Unread post by Brackstone »

Nibblet99 wrote:kawayamahondazuki's
:roll2:
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

Captain Pete
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by Captain Pete »

Bravo; Bravissimo!!!!
Personally, I believe that in the US we should have a graduated system of motorcycle licensing. This is how it would work. First, you would have to pass a motorcycle safety course, no ands ifs or buts. Then, you could get licensed on something 125cc and under, and that would be good for one year. After one year, you would be required to take another driving test, and upon passing, you would be granted a license for a 250cc bike. The logic here is that a 250cc bike can actually be ridden on the highway, whereas most 125cc bikes cannot. After one year on a 250cc bike (by the way, you would be required to keep a mileage log, and ride at least 1000 miles in the second year to go to the next step), you could graduate to a bike as large as 600cc. After riding a 600cc for another year, then you could graduate to a high powered sport bike if you meet the following criteria; you have logged at least 10,000 miles of riding in the last three years, you have taken a motorcycle course specifically designed toward teaching people how to ride such bikes, and you have had no moving violations on your bike in the past two years. If you want to graduate to a big cruiser, then you would have to have logged the pre-requisite 10,000 miles, and take a refresher safety course.

And while we're at it, let's go ahead and require formal driver's training for getting a regular driver's license, too.

Along the same vein, I was passed yesterday on I-70 by a couple on what looked like a GSXR from the colors. Both the man and the woman, riding 2 up, were wearing sandals and no helmets (Kansas has no helmet laws), and absolutely no protective gear whatsoever. I won't dis sportbike owners, but is seems to me that sportbikes attract an inordinate amount of irresponsible riders, and on occasion even turn otherwise responsible riders into idiots (not that they are all idiots, just that it does happen). And the salesmen at dealerships do not do nearly enough to dissuade people buying a superbike as their first bike.
"I must break you."

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#9 Unread post by jonnythan »

Captain Pete wrote:Bravo; Bravissimo!!!!
Personally, I believe that in the US we should have a graduated system of motorcycle licensing. This is how it would work. First, you would have to pass a motorcycle safety course, no ands ifs or buts. Then, you could get licensed on something 125cc and under, and that would be good for one year. After one year, you would be required to take another driving test, and upon passing, you would be granted a license for a 250cc bike. The logic here is that a 250cc bike can actually be ridden on the highway, whereas most 125cc bikes cannot. After one year on a 250cc bike (by the way, you would be required to keep a mileage log, and ride at least 1000 miles in the second year to go to the next step), you could graduate to a bike as large as 600cc. After riding a 600cc for another year, then you could graduate to a high powered sport bike if you meet the following criteria; you have logged at least 10,000 miles of riding in the last three years, you have taken a motorcycle course specifically designed toward teaching people how to ride such bikes, and you have had no moving violations on your bike in the past two years. If you want to graduate to a big cruiser, then you would have to have logged the pre-requisite 10,000 miles, and take a refresher safety course.

And while we're at it, let's go ahead and require formal driver's training for getting a regular driver's license, too.

Along the same vein, I was passed yesterday on I-70 by a couple on what looked like a GSXR from the colors. Both the man and the woman, riding 2 up, were wearing sandals and no helmets (Kansas has no helmet laws), and absolutely no protective gear whatsoever. I won't dis sportbike owners, but is seems to me that sportbikes attract an inordinate amount of irresponsible riders, and on occasion even turn otherwise responsible riders into idiots (not that they are all idiots, just that it does happen). And the salesmen at dealerships do not do nearly enough to dissuade people buying a superbike as their first bike.
Graduated licensing is one thing, but your scheme is just nuts.

Limiting everyone to 125cc for a year??

Seriously, 125cc?

And mileage logs? Four different "levels" of licensing?

Give me a break.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

ninja_nate
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by ninja_nate »

Thanks, Lion_Lady, for the great info! I was actually considering a Kawasaki KLR650 for my first bike...I had heard a lot of neat things about it, including that it would make a good handling beginner bike. But after reading all your info, I'm going to reconsider that. I think I might go with a 250-400. I can always upgrade, right? 8)
:motorcycle3: