Different type of bike...for a different type of ride?

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#11 Unread post by jonnythan »

A BMW or Buell might be right up your alley.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#12 Unread post by Brackstone »

Hey MegaMan,

Well I know this might be a little bit "Hindsight is 20/20" sort of thing.

But I'm in a similar situation with you.

Lots of my friends ride sportbikes and I told them that I was looking into getting a Ducati Monster 696 or a Aprilia Shiver 750. All I keep hearing is.

"Oh Aprilia? I've heard of them, they make bikes that look like sportbikes but aren't actually sport bikes. Don't go away from the supersports that's what you need to look into".

Then I have to tell them "I don't like leaning over that far, most of the bikes are too tall for me, a V-Twin is probably more exciting around town."

It's almost like nobody hears what I'm saying, they always reply "I ride around a lot too it doesn't bother me leaning over all the time. If it's too tall just balance on one leg at the intersection when you come to a stop."

And they usually don't even answer about the V-Twin vs. Inline 4.

I've just decided that I'm going to buy the bike I want and if my buddies don't want to ride with me I'll ride by myself and find new people to ride with.

Personally I'll probably end up riding alone more than in a group anyway.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#13 Unread post by koji52 »

Brackstone wrote:Hey MegaMan,

Well I know this might be a little bit "Hindsight is 20/20" sort of thing.

But I'm in a similar situation with you.

Lots of my friends ride sportbikes and I told them that I was looking into getting a Ducati Monster 696 or a Aprilia Shiver 750. All I keep hearing is.

"Oh Aprilia? I've heard of them, they make bikes that look like sportbikes but aren't actually sport bikes. Don't go away from the supersports that's what you need to look into".

Then I have to tell them "I don't like leaning over that far, most of the bikes are too tall for me, a V-Twin is probably more exciting around town."

It's almost like nobody hears what I'm saying, they always reply "I ride around a lot too it doesn't bother me leaning over all the time. If it's too tall just balance on one leg at the intersection when you come to a stop."

And they usually don't even answer about the V-Twin vs. Inline 4.

I've just decided that I'm going to buy the bike I want and if my buddies don't want to ride with me I'll ride by myself and find new people to ride with.

Personally I'll probably end up riding alone more than in a group anyway.
haha...that's fine man, I ride more by myself than with my friend who rides. I kinda like not having to follow or lead someone else.
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

Flesher
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#14 Unread post by Flesher »

I would also consider a VFR800

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#15 Unread post by paul246 »

I won't trade my trusty dual sport for one of these, but if I was looking for an "on-road only" bike this would be the one. Absolutely.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ ... 68093.html
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#16 Unread post by dr_bar »

paul246 wrote:I won't trade my trusty dual sport for one of these, but if I was looking for an "on-road only" bike this would be the one. Absolutely.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ ... 68093.html
It does look like a "fun" bike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Zagnut
Elite
Elite

#17 Unread post by Zagnut »

Im just wondering how if it was the right bike for you if yuo were riding with your riding friends...how can it be the wrong type of bike just because you are alone?...Cruisers are only a good choice for folks who ride in packs?. My advice would be just ride like you were always planning on riding...just do it alone if your friends wont go along.

Cruisers are good for around town stuff..and I take mine down some curvy roads....not suited for the curves like a sport bike but fun to take thru the curves as well...

Im just trying to understand the bike is only suited for you if there are other people around.... you dont need a dozen other riders to "cruise" you can do that alone...I do and I love it

or...

Is the dilema that since you have ridden a bit, you have found that you want to do a whole different type of riding than you thought you wanted to do?...the type of riding suited for a sport bike?...twisties and the like? ... and a cruiser would be the wrong bike even if your friends came along with you?

a v-strom could lead you down the same path. Its a dual purpose...so unless you are really planning on using it off the pavement, you may be better suited getting a bike that wasnt designed for dual purpose... I understand they are great street bikes and they have quite a following...I like them myself and dream of owning one...Im just saying dont pay for features you dont plan on using...

there is another option..... you just need six bikes!...lol

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#18 Unread post by paul246 »

Zagnut wrote:a v-strom could lead you down the same path. Its a dual purpose...so unless you are really planning on using it off the pavement, you may be better suited getting a bike that wasnt designed for dual purpose...
I wouldn't class the V-Strom as a dual purpose bike, it does give a bit of that impression with its looks...but that's it. You can use it on dirt roads if conditions (dry) allow, but I could do that on my Valkyrie, too. Forget truly off-road.
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#19 Unread post by storysunfolding »

08 V-Strom 650's are selling around here for $6600 OTD. SV-650's are selling for more. Seems to me like you're getting more features for your money with the Strom
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#20 Unread post by mgdavis »

While the Strom is certainly no KLR, some guys get it into stuff I'd hesitate to take a Valkyrie. :wink:
Its bias is definitely more street than dirt, but with knobbies it does ok on mild off-roading.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!