ARE HARLEYS WHAT THEY ARE CRACKED UP TO BE?

KingRobb
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2004 HD Road King

#11 Unread post by KingRobb »

jstark47 wrote:Scanning craigslist and other ads, there's a large number of late-model, clean, low-mileage Harleys for sale now. If I wanted a Harley, I definitely would not go new with so many quality used ones out there. I wonder what that does to the conventional wisdom that a Harley is an investment? If the market is glutted, will the values hold up?
I would hope it would crush the CW and used prices would come down...because I both dont buy for investments purposes....bikes are for riding and becuase I want an older used sport ('73 would be nice but I will settle for early 80's at the end of the day) for rebuilding purposes.

Alas I am not thinking that will happen though as even with the glut most of theses guys are asking near new prices and getting them.
Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.

-Cool Hand Luke

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#12 Unread post by High_Side »

I was thinking it before I read KingRobb's post:

Bikes are toys for most of us. If you want an investment, buy equity funds. Otherwise buy the bike that turns your crank.

baltimorebayside
Regular
Regular

#13 Unread post by baltimorebayside »

http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/forum ... th+Harleys

Here's a long discussion on the subject.

dan
2008 Suzuki C50T

kingpinman
Rookie
Rookie

HD's

#14 Unread post by kingpinman »

If you've ever wanted an HD, especially the new 96 incher, just have them fire the thing up and grab hold of the handlebar. If that shaking and vibrating is what you want to live and ride with, GO FOR IT!

Otherwise, ride and feel no vibration (or very little) on an American made Victory, or any of the fine Japanese bikes that offer more for less.

I bought an '06 Victory Kingpin Deluxe with 30 miles on it, and it is simply awesome. Comfort, style, power...... everything a cruiser is supposed to be.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#15 Unread post by storysunfolding »

The vibration on the new harley's really isn't that bad. Especially compared to an old 88 sportster. Ouch.

What's with the bringing up older threads to diss harleys?
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

kingpinman
Rookie
Rookie

HD's

#16 Unread post by kingpinman »

Not really dissing HD's, merely stating facts. My brother bought a new Ultra-Classic Electra-glide, '08 model, and I rode my first and last Harley when he offered me a ride. Never felt more vibration in a bike than that $28K plus bike...... and I personally think I could get a better vibrator for much less at the nearby adult store. The whole bike shook! Tourpak vibrated, seat vibrated, handlebars were vibrating so much could hardly grab hold of them. If I'm going to pay that much money, I want comfort. Touring wise, nothing can beat the GoldWing, or the Vision. Ultra smooth, with lots of power.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: HD's

#17 Unread post by HYPERR »

kingpinman wrote:Not really dissing HD's, merely stating facts. My brother bought a new Ultra-Classic Electra-glide, '08 model, and I rode my first and last Harley when he offered me a ride. Never felt more vibration in a bike than that $28K plus bike...... and I personally think I could get a better vibrator for much less at the nearby adult store. The whole bike shook! Tourpak vibrated, seat vibrated, handlebars were vibrating so much could hardly grab hold of them. If I'm going to pay that much money, I want comfort. Touring wise, nothing can beat the GoldWing, or the Vision. Ultra smooth, with lots of power.
So did you tell your bro you hate his bike? :mrgreen:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#18 Unread post by High_Side »

The V-Rod that I had out a couple of weeks ago was smooth, powerful and impressive in most every cruiser kind of way. I was not expecting to like it nearly as much as I did. Great bike.

KingRobb
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2004 HD Road King

#19 Unread post by KingRobb »

I am a straight Harley guy, and I will say nothing beats a Goldwing if you a want a straight up touring bike. However, your claim of extraneous vibration is pure bullhockey. Harley touring bikes don't have the shake in them they ought to, and the only thing with any rattle at all are the softtails at this point.

From here on out, Mike should make a thread that is for Harley bashers only...seems some folk will not be happy without it.

For the rest of you..ride to your tastes...I am sorry for the need to make this rant.
Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.

-Cool Hand Luke

kingpinman
Rookie
Rookie

HD Rant

#20 Unread post by kingpinman »

No HD bashing, merely stating what I felt riding on my Bro's '08 HD Ultra-Classic Electra Glide. Lots of vibration. But, on the good side, it was a comfortable seating position, short handlebar reach which is good, and seat height is good (better since he lowered it an inch), although not as low as some other touring models. Sound was excellent, as he installed the Rhineharts true dual system and a higher lift cam. Nothing can come close to that Harley sound, unless you want to spend $$$$$ for a BigDog or OCC bike.
As a side note, I didn't tell my Bro I hated his ride. Told him the truth, that it had unpleasant vibration, but gave him all the positives I mentioned above.
I ride a cruiser, no need for a full up tourer, so my tastes are somewhat biased to a faster, smoother and lighter bike. Sorry to those of you who feel that truthfullness is bashing...........