Ladies - Women's first bike choice

victrola7
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

First Ride

#131 Unread post by victrola7 »

My first bike is a 2005 Suzuki C50 Blvd. It has 805cc's and is a sweet ride. My sister has been riding for over 15 years and finally convinced me to give it a go. Now, I'm out on the road every weekend and with the price of gas skyrocketing, it may become my main mode of transportation. I just started riding in January of 08'. I decided to go with a larger bike with all the accessories. The C50 has great classic looks, terrific balance and it rumbles low and sweet. At 5'7" my feet are easily planted flat on the ground. I never expected to find the exhilaration of youth, but get me on my bike and head out to the rolling hills west of Orlando with the sun on my back and the wind in my face, I've been reborn at 49!
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.

Frogpondbetty
Rookie
Rookie

#132 Unread post by Frogpondbetty »

My first bike was a Honda SL100, replaced with a 1969 Triumph Bonneville, then on to a Kawasaki GPZ305 which had body parts flying off of it every time I took it out. Current ride is, in Euro-Trash tradition, a Ducati Monster (750) with lots of carbon fiber and a polished aluminium (yes spelled the English way) tank. Turns a lot of heads and my favorite comment is "Nice chrome tank" to which I reply in a "you're a moron" tone," it's alloy." And I"m not an engineer or metalurgist. The family race bike is a 1428 Kawasaki drag bike which is a money eating monster, but it goes really fast and has nitrous oxide. So I guess what I"m saying is that once this is in your blood, it's permanent. PS We had a Buell Ulysses, and he liked it, I didn't. Better choices if you can afford them are the BMW or the KTM- the Beemer is more geared to ON road, the KTM more for OFF- but both are dual purpose bikes. And vastly more comfortable and capable. Only my personal opinion, worth little to nothing, but there ya go.

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#133 Unread post by MZ33 »

I love your sig line!

victrola7, :welcome3: to TMW!
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#134 Unread post by MZ33 »

I heard they were an HD product and as a result were somewhere in-between groups. A couple of people I know with HD recommend them. From what I understand, they also have the loud engine which mimics the HD. Decisions, decisions...
Harley's Riders Edge training program uses them for the MSF course. If you took it from them, you'd get to know if you like 'em.

:welcome4: :tmwsign:
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#135 Unread post by follow »

are we talking legal or non-legal?..........my Dad made my first bike 40+ years ago. I know it could not be legal, I wouldn't even know what to call it except maybe a Snowjob "fyi my dad's name is Snow..for reals". As we got older we had Honda dirt bikes mine was a Honda 250. (1st new bought one, not made or rebuilt in Dad's garage).
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine

victrola7
Rookie
Rookie

#136 Unread post by victrola7 »

Thanks MZ33.

Chaos rules during the week but once the weekend arrives it's smooth sailing on my C50 in the foothills of Lake County west of Orlando.

8) Very little traffic, awesome hills, beautiful horse country.

Wind Rider
Rookie
Rookie

Honda Rebel 250

#137 Unread post by Wind Rider »

I'm 5' 1". I have been very comfortable with the Honda Rebel. I took the Honda riding class on a knight Hawk. It was a bit to big. I still passed the class. :D

Purple Rose
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

bike to start on

#138 Unread post by Purple Rose »

:D I have a Harley-Davidson Sportster 883 Low. My husband bought it for me just before taking the riding course. I love my bike. I am 5'6" and 51 yrs young. I took my course 2 months ago and I have nearly 500 miles on it. I rode at night for the first time this past Wednesday night.

2wheelsgood4bad
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Ladies Bike Advice

#139 Unread post by 2wheelsgood4bad »

I'm 5'4" and height was a concern. Like many women, logged a lot of good miles on a Honda Rebel, however they're subject to feeling blown by wind gusts when riding above 45mph. Can be a little unnerving, especially for a new rider. Then bought a Harley Sportster 883L thinking I was ready for the leap. It felt REALLY heavy at slow speeds and I struggled with 90 degree turns. Dropped it once practicing countersteering in a parking lot. Decided I needed a step back and a lighter bike with some power. Bought a 2 yr old Ninja EX500R. Great bike, and I think a better leap than from Rebel to Harley. I rode it for 6 months, got my confidence up, then one day got on the Harley and found I could now ride it with no difficulty. I ended up keeping both the Ninja and the Harley and love both. The Ninja is easy to maneuver and park if you are running around town making several stops, but it's also very stable and fun at freeway speeds. The Harley is excellent for longer rides, but trickier for a small woman to park. Hope some of that helps.

Schmink
Regular
Regular

#140 Unread post by Schmink »

As a newer rider I had a standard type bike. I did not like it for a couple of reasons:

1. Not being able to flat foot it without having a boot with a heel on it
2. Feeling like I was sitting on top of it

I recently bought a cruiser type bike (Yamaha VStar) and once I got used to the power difference (650cc to 1100cc) I could tell within a week that this bike was much better suited for me. I was leaning more into the turns and was more comfortable, which seemed to also translate into confidence.

My SO noticed this also when he rode with me for the first time after having the bike for a couple of weeks

I think the best bike for you is one that you feel the most comfortable on.
Schmink
2008 V-Star 1100 Custom