darn stoplights....

suzuki500
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

darn stoplights....

#1 Unread post by suzuki500 »

hey forums, im new to biking and well i was riding in the streets earlier today...i wanted to turn so i went in the left turn stop light in the streets. there was nobody on anyside coming...so i waited for the light to turn green...and waited....well what are you supposed to do in that situation?
Suzuki GS500F

woohoo!

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#2 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Search around the forums - this topic comes up quite a bit.

Some recommend using your kick stand and locating the marks for the sensor in the road.

The thing that makes me most nervous on the road is sitting at a stop light. It is the only thing I consider as a true close call for me.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#3 Unread post by Thumper »

Honestly? I look around for cops, and if I don't see any or a good hiding place for one, when it's safe I just run the light. I figure if I've waited 3 cycles and no car comes up to trip the light for me, I'm good to go.

Most of the time a car comes up and takes care of it for me. But once I sat at a light waiting to turn, and there was a bike cop right across the freaking street and there was no other traffic. I tried everything--hitting my starter, putting my kickstand down. By then he knew I was frustrated and just waved me through. I'm pretty sure it was the same bike cop that didn't pull me over for doing 65-70 in a 40 when I was riding a Rebel. I think I like him.

FlysWithEagles
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by FlysWithEagles »

Get off your bike....stop,drop, and roll like you were on fire(screaming helps) then run to the nearest light pole and roundhouse kick that three times...get back on your bike and continue waiting because in reality, some lights are just never going to change when there's no cars to help.

Seriously though, if it's safe enough and everything else fails...run the light.
My Bike:
[img]http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k326/FurbyBoobs/gsxr-1.jpg[/img]

suzuki500
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by suzuki500 »

Thumper wrote:Honestly? I look around for cops, and if I don't see any or a good hiding place for one, when it's safe I just run the light. I figure if I've waited 3 cycles and no car comes up to trip the light for me, I'm good to go.

Most of the time a car comes up and takes care of it for me. But once I sat at a light waiting to turn, and there was a bike cop right across the freaking street and there was no other traffic. I tried everything--hitting my starter, putting my kickstand down. By then he knew I was frustrated and just waved me through. I'm pretty sure it was the same bike cop that didn't pull me over for doing 65-70 in a 40 when I was riding a Rebel. I think I like him.
LOL!

yeah cause i broke the law D:
riding a red light :/ its all for the greater good!
Suzuki GS500F

woohoo!

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#6 Unread post by ofblong »

as I stated in about the other 20 threads I have read on this I have yet to have a light that wont change.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

FlysWithEagles
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by FlysWithEagles »

Come to my town. I can show you at least two that won't change. But, if I know I'm going to be riding late at night with minimal traffic, I avoid those lights so I rarely have the problem of lights not changing for me.
My Bike:
[img]http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k326/FurbyBoobs/gsxr-1.jpg[/img]

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#8 Unread post by ofblong »

FlysWithEagles wrote:Come to my town. I can show you at least two that won't change. But, if I know I'm going to be riding late at night with minimal traffic, I avoid those lights so I rarely have the problem of lights not changing for me.
being an industrial mechanic I get calls all the time where I go out to them and what they say is the problem never happens so I just walk away without doing anything :laughing: .
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

NewVABiker99
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by NewVABiker99 »

I'm usually not in any hurry to get to Point A to Point B, so I wait. And, I think I read somewhere that these light systems are set up to eventually trigger even if something isn't on the sensor. I figure I may miss a cycle or two, but I'm not going to be there forever.

suzuki500
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by suzuki500 »

you know i hear that if you get like 2 neodynium magnets or whatever and put it beneath your bike on the frame or something then the magnetic powers will make the light sense you =D
Suzuki GS500F

woohoo!