darn stoplights....

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#11 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

ofblong wrote:as I stated in about the other 20 threads I have read on this I have yet to have a light that wont change.
You've got the force... Although even I have only run in to one light that didn't change for me.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum

#12 Unread post by Skier »

As posted in a different thread:
Skier wrote:It doesn't matter how close the magnet is, it isn't doing anything for the sensor. If your large mass of motorcycle isn't tripping the light, a tiny amount of metal closer to the sensor isn't going to do much.
Passing a magnet over an induction loop will induce a little current in it, but it won't change the loop's actual inductance any more than a similar-sized lump of unmagnetised metal with the same conductivity would. It's change in inductance that causes the vehicle detector to trigger...
From Dan's Data.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

FlysWithEagles
Regular
Regular

#13 Unread post by FlysWithEagles »

ofblong wrote:
FlysWithEagles wrote:Come to my town. I can show you at least two that won't change. But, if I know I'm going to be riding late at night with minimal traffic, I avoid those lights so I rarely have the problem of lights not changing for me.
being an industrial mechanic I get calls all the time where I go out to them and what they say is the problem never happens so I just walk away without doing anything :laughing: .
I see. But like I said, come to my town and I can get you some work. :wink:
My Bike:
[img]http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k326/FurbyBoobs/gsxr-1.jpg[/img]

Gunslinger
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006/Suzuki/SV650

#14 Unread post by Gunslinger »

I've posted in a previous thread with RhadamYgg about this also. Those magnets don't work, save your money. Another option is to turn right on red, then make a U-turn and go back the other way. Hopefully the light will be green on the way back :mrgreen: The few times that this has happened to me I give it a few minutes then I will run it.

I don't think there are many cops who would write a biker a ticket for some BS like that, and even fewer judges would enforce the citation.

SBK15
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Re: darn stoplights....

#15 Unread post by SBK15 »

suzuki500 wrote:hey forums, im new to biking and well i was riding in the streets earlier today...i wanted to turn so i went in the left turn stop light in the streets. there was nobody on anyside coming...so i waited for the light to turn green...and waited....well what are you supposed to do in that situation?
Pull out my sleeping bag and take a nap.
-2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Current Ride
-2007 Suzuki DR650 - Sold
-2007 Kawasaki Eliminator - Sold

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#16 Unread post by Johnj »

ofblong wrote:being an industrial mechanic I get calls all the time where I go out to them and what they say is the problem never happens so I just walk away without doing anything :laughing: .
:spike:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

sport302
Rookie
Rookie

#17 Unread post by sport302 »

When I first started riding this annoyed the heck out of me. So I did try the magnet thing myself. It has helped with some inductive loop lights but not all.

From what I have "heard", inductive loop lights have sensitivity settings. However, many are set higher or lower depending on how close they are to the adjacent lights and their inductive loops. By increasing the sensitivity of the inductive loops to detect vehicles such as motorcycles the inductive loops may start to interfer with each other. Therefore, some lights can not be set high enough to detect motorcycles. Hence the reason why some lights work and some do not.

However, I am no expert just what I have read and learned. I just make a right turn and take a different route if needed.
www.MotorcycleAssistant.com

SCgurl
Elite
Elite

#18 Unread post by SCgurl »

Our state just passed a law that allows motorcyclists to treat a red light as if it were a stop sign after 2 minutes.

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/may ... nfor41243/

Now, if only the two I run into constantly would actually trip for cars, I'd be set :laughing: Yeah, a lot of these aren't set up right around here.
2008 Suzuki S40-for sale
2007 Road King-waiting until mid-May
[url=http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/Jeni1090/?action=view&current=IMG_0051.jpg][img]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/Jeni1090/th_IMG_0051.jpg[/img][/url]

R3sp4wN
Veteran
Veteran

#19 Unread post by R3sp4wN »

I, personally, take a route that is about 1/2 a mile out of my way just because the lights are WITH the flow of traffic. The total trip takes me about 9 minutes, when my regular route took closer to 15 minutes because of all the damn lights.

There are also some 'Green Light Magnets' that you can buy and install on your bike. I am not too sure how well they work, but due to the fact that I ride alot late at night, it may come in handy to purchase one of them.
Last edited by R3sp4wN on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skier

#20 Unread post by Skier »

R3sp4wN wrote:There are also some 'Green Light Magnets' that you can buy and install on your bike. I am not too sure how well they work, but due to the fact that I ride alot late at night, it may come in handy to purchase one of them.
I've managed to foresee this request and post why those don't work over two weeks ago. :)
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]