Simple question for smarter person.....

gumslinger45
Rookie
Rookie

Simple question for smarter person.....

#1 Unread post by gumslinger45 »

Hello everyone, my name is John.
I have never owned a bike, I inherited a 1985 GPz550, very clean 9,000 miles, no one alive to ask about its history, or repair questions. When I got the bike the fuel tank was removed and ruined from rust. I have a Clymer manual for the bike, but not being a bike person I am stumped over what should be an easy fix. I have a new tank.
The hoses that go to the two rear nipples on the tank are obvious; one (#6) goes to the top nipple on the Liquid/vapor separator, and the other (#7) goes to the side nipple on the Liquid/vapor separator.

Here is the problem:
Where does the hose (#8 ) that comes out the bottom of the Liquid/vapor separator go? Where do hose (#10) go to after they split?
Also on the carbs there are 4 hoses coming off. Two hoses come from what looks to be a diaphragm near the front of the bike and go into a splitter, from the splitter one goes to the far left outside input of the carb and the other goes to the far right input of the carb. This leaves me with two hoses that come from the 2 right and left inside inputs from the carb. I know one hose HAS to go to the Vac tap (petcock) but now I’m left with one unknown hose. Were all these hoses screwed up? If so could anyone help me out? If they are correct,,,where do they go?
Any written advice would be great, any diagram would be awesome. The manual is just not clear on this issue, and like I said, I am new to bikes.
Thank you in advance,
John

John

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#2 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

You know, its a great thing to want to resurrect a dead motorcycle, but some causes just aren't worth the time required. Its so easy to underestimate the work needed when you have no idea what you're doing.

I mean. Once you get that hose thing figured out, THEN what? You can't imagine how many similar problems lurk within that neglected assortment of metal parts. If that bike was stored in an unheated/uncooled space, you can pretty well count on needing to replace every piece of rubber or plastic in the engine. Be it gasket, connector or seal.

They'll leak or break. If not immediately, then within 25 miles of going anywhere. If you get things put together. Care to take a guess at the availability of soft parts for a 20+ year old bike? Then there's wiring. Mice love to chew on wire insulation.

Save yourself the heartache. Walk away now while you've got your sanity. If you don't believe me, just try asking any motorcycle shop or mechanic if they'd take a look at the bike. They'll laugh and tell you the same.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

#3 Unread post by Sev »

Don't let Lion Lady discourage you. I think the key to a job like this is to take things one at a time and not over extend yourself. Don't try to tackle the whole job at all once rather work on it in bits and pieces. Be as thorough as possible and only work on one aspect of the bike at a time.

As far as the hoses and routing...

#10 looks like it leads to a splitter between the two carbs, likely there is a T junction coming off the carbs.

#8 looks like it goes to the input nipple on the carb

Also you'll have an overflow or two that come off the carb - in the event that your float bowl over fills.

Any chance of some actual pictures of the parts/hoses in question?
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

gumslinger45
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks Sev.....

#4 Unread post by gumslinger45 »

I dont let ANYONE discourage me, besides I may be new to bikes but I am 50 years old and have maintained all my cars all my life,, I do know rot when I see it,,,this bike is clean. All the rubber bends and all the electrical works, I have heard it try to start, but the VAC tap system wont allow you to just dump gas down the carbs. If it were a waste of time I would walk away.
Here are the pics....

John

mydlyfkryzis
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: 1976 CB360t, 1991 Honda Nighthawk 750

#5 Unread post by mydlyfkryzis »

Honda Nighthawks with the Calif. emissions have the evap emissions.

The four lines from each carb go to a common connector.

Maybe you are missing the connector?

Item 2 connects all four manifold vacuums. The single line from that goes to the purge control valve.

Item 1,13,17 are for the bowl vents.

Here's a schematic of the carbs and an overview schematic. Your bike must be similar to this.

Richard - Fully Dressed

Naked 1991 Honda NightHawk 750
Naked 1976 Honda CB360T

honda750
Elite
Elite

good

#6 Unread post by honda750 »

i salute a fellow bike restorer, and that bikes in NICE condition

here is a site that should help a lot - its many of the diagrams for your exact bike.
im sorry i don't have time to look at the hoses/etc right now but these diagrams should be wat you're looking for.
good luck
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... 85/o/m9934

and btw lion lady ive sold 1981, 1982, and 1985 bikes which are now daily riders and they havent had any issues.
Last edited by honda750 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gumslinger45
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by gumslinger45 »

Thanks for the help and advise Richard and honda750, I will check it out, I think with the help of a local shop I might have figured it out.
I'm sure I'm not out of the woods yet, but I am getting closer to the asphalt.
To those who have taken the time to reply, thank you.

P.S. For Lion_Lady, my local shops did not laugh, in fact most of the people I spoke with appreciate the older bikes over the newer ones, and not one told me I was wasting my time. I'm sure they would all love the profits they would make selling me a new bike especialy a BMW (which are nice bikes), but ONEONE laughed.

John
John

Against.Da.Grain
Rookie
Rookie

Wow That GPz550 looks awesome.

#8 Unread post by Against.Da.Grain »

Take some pictures when you get it all back together. I happen to love the old bikes myself. Good luck Bro. Doesn't look like you have much to do.