Hi from Edmonton

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

Re: Another YEG Rookie!

#11 Unread post by Sev »

FlyGrrl wrote:Aloha!

It's been two years in the making and I'm finally committed to one of those AB Safety Council courses in August; p.s. I'm super pumped about finally getting a bike!

It kinda sucks though from what I'm reading that my bike of choice (GSX-R 600) might be a bit much for me to handle as a beginner. I'm 5'8" ish, have some dirt-biking experience in the Okanagan, and fly planes...what do you think? Will I be able to handle it?

I'm hoping once I get back to e-town at the end of summer I might be able to link up with an experienced rider to show me really how to ride! I'm not in it to be stupid, I just want my "Top Gun" moment riding to the airport...lol

Thoughts? Comments? Queries on life?
GSX-R600... not so much. Dirt biking and flying have about as much to do with riding a street bike as apples do with oranges. They're both fruit, but that's about the extent. Things that you're supposed to do on a dirtbike will get you bucked off on the street and vice-versa.

That being said dirt bike experience will help somewhat.

Honestly, look at it this way - you're very likely to drop your first bike, do you really want to drop a new GSX-R600? Remember this is also a bike that will not forgive the mistakes you're bound to make while learning to ride. Whack the throttle a little too hard, or yank on the brakes and you're in for a tumble.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

CYNWAGON
Elite
Elite

#12 Unread post by CYNWAGON »

Hey motokid, who were your instructors on your course?

motokid
Veteran
Veteran

#13 Unread post by motokid »

CYNWAGON wrote:Hey motokid, who were your instructors on your course?
Vince and a big guy who is easy to recognize: big gray mustache, long hair, very lively (maybe Alex, but I'm not sure). There were other two instructors for the other group, younger guys. All of them were exceptional in way how they handled the course and passed the knowledge and the experience. Highly recommended. Since then, I've been riding the streets, sticking to what I learned there as a bases + some reading on the internet and had no hair rising incidents (yet) - smooth sailing so far.

K

CYNWAGON
Elite
Elite

#14 Unread post by CYNWAGON »

I must have taken the course within days of you...
Vince was with the other group I think. It was pretty awesome. My husband even learned stuff from me after the course. No regrets in taking the course!

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#15 Unread post by BuzZz »

Personally, I have no problem getting a test ride from most dealers in Edmonchuck, especially the Riverside group in St. Albert, but I also tend to have more knowledge then the sales guys I deal with. As a new rider, I imagine this will not be the case with you, but it costs nothing to ask. New dealers do have to concern themselves with protecting the machinery they are selling.

In a private sale of a used bike, I would not by a bike I haven't test ridden. If the seller just plain refuses to let me ride the bike, I assume something is FUBARed on the bike and walk away. There is always another bike out there to buy, don't let the seller browbeat you into a take it or leave it situation. His used bike is a used bike after all..... you have to make sure it is in the condition it is claimed to be. If you buy it and it is pooched, so are you... you're stuck with it and the repairs it needs.
No Witnesses.... :shifty: