Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

What's an inline-4 like?

#1 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Been looking around for another bike, something with a bit more power than my F650, but not much more. Thinking of getting a Japanese middleweight standard, like a 599 or an FZ6, as my wife will eventually be riding my thumper (cough). Bizarrely, I've never ridden an inline four, only singles (ranging from 50 to 650cc), and twins. I've read spec-wise how high I-4 torque peaks are, especially compared to my single-cylinder F650.

My concern is with commuting and slow-speed filtering through traffic, for which the F is fantastic. So anyway, how different do I-4's feel?
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#2 Unread post by flw »

It just going to be a heavier bike which you will need to get use to but along as your have your wrist under control it will be fine.

Since you already know how to ride, its only a matter of coordination between the clutch, throttle and gearing. That just takes some time and a safe minded biker.

I not sure if I have your question down but if its the gearing and rpm's your concerned with, they can run fine in town and on the highway. If you do a lot of idling then you may want to be sure you get a water cooled bike.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Flipper
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2010 Ninja 250

#3 Unread post by Flipper »

I ride a 2006 Honda 599. It's my second bike.
I think it's a perfect bike for commuting.
Very well behaved in slow speed stop and go traffic, and a real blast when you want to roll on some power.
If you stay below 7000rpm, the bike is a pussycat.
(I spend most of my time under 6000).
Above 7000rpm the afterburner kicks in and the bike has a power surge.
I can't imagine anyone getting over 7000rpm by accident.
The bike is really screaming by the time you are at that range.
It's a very friendly bike. I love mine.

Unfortunately, Honda is no longer bringing the 599 to the states.
Too bad, because I think the 2009 model is hot.
2010 Ninja 250
2006 CB600F (sold)
2006 Honda Rebel (sold)

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#4 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Flipper wrote:Unfortunately, Honda is no longer bringing the 599 to the states. Too bad, because I think the 2009 model is hot.
I agree, that is one beautiful bike. IMHO the best looking current production Japanese bike (although the Euro only liter version looks good too).

I dropped by a used bike dealer an hour ago and sat on a 599; it felt really compact and comfortable (I'm only 5'7", maybe 5'8" in boots). Much friendlier than the FZ6 I sat on at the same dealer.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#5 Unread post by JC Viper »

Yeah, Honda bikes can be really tame when you want it to be and sporty if that need comes about. Many publications note that the Yamaha bikes are really hell to sit on for long periods of time and tend to be a bit high strung while Honda is boring but dependable.

How about trying those Kawasaki vertical twins? What I noticed is that I-4 tend to have more power than torque and V-twins have more torque than power (or at a given RPM) and parallel twins have somewhat of a middle ground.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#6 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

JC Viper wrote:How about trying those Kawasaki vertical twins? What I noticed is that I-4 tend to have more power than torque and V-twins have more torque than power (or at a given RPM) and parallel twins have somewhat of a middle ground.
Yah mean like this one?

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/15july05 ... i_er6n.htm

Great idea, and a very cool looking bike, although sadly not available where I'm from.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#7 Unread post by JC Viper »

Doesn't BMW sell a parallel twin in Manila? F800 I believe it is called. How about Honda, Yamaha? Don't they sell some kind of twins? I'm in he US and we get a fraction of what some other countries get.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#8 Unread post by slimcolo »

A in line four is a motorcycle with a four cyl. motor where 1) the cyls are in straight form and not a vee or boxer. 2) The crank shaft is parallel to direction of travel. (there were also in line twos like Sunbeam, and older BMW singles like the R27 are in line singles because of crankshaft placement)

Most four cyl bikes (even though all cyl are lined up) are not in line they are sideways (perpendicular, or trans-verse) mounted. (same is true with most front wheel drive cars, but same motor can be mounted either way in different cars----in line with most rear wheel drive)

The Doctor
Veteran
Veteran

#9 Unread post by The Doctor »

Inline 4's are..... :humm: Awesome!!!

:D

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#10 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

Grey Thumper wrote:
JC Viper wrote:How about trying those Kawasaki vertical twins? What I noticed is that I-4 tend to have more power than torque and V-twins have more torque than power (or at a given RPM) and parallel twins have somewhat of a middle ground.
Yah mean like this one?

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/15july05 ... i_er6n.htm

Great idea, and a very cool looking bike, although sadly not available where I'm from.
Look at the Er-6F aka Ninja 650R. Same bike essentially, just with plastics. FWIW they're great in traffic. 0-80 in straight up acceleration it's on par with the 600's. After that the 600's top ends walk on them though. Oh well, let's see a 600 surge ahead at 2500 RPM in 2nd gear dodging a semi the way the 650R does :mrgreen:
JC Viper wrote:Doesn't BMW sell a parallel twin in Manila? F800 I believe it is called. How about Honda, Yamaha? Don't they sell some kind of twins? I'm in he US and we get a fraction of what some other countries get.
The new F650's are twins for 08/09.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]