Rollin without a helmet is loud and windy

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#61 Unread post by HYPERR »

ChemicalTaste wrote:I wear a helmet because it looks cool.

No really.. a side effect of wearing a full faced racing helmet while riding a sport bike is that it looks cool. Like I said, its a side effect, not the primary reason I wear it.
Yeah I agree. I like helmets with cool graphics. :D
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

AZRider
Elite
Elite

#62 Unread post by AZRider »

Ive read 2 pages of this drivel, and only one thing comes to mind.

If You are unwilling to cover injuries for the unhelmeted rider, then injuries caused by the helmet should not be covered either.(ie. lifetime paralysis due to broken neck).
Kawi VN1600

I dont give a damn what the name on the bike is..........Just ride it.

AZRider: Never met a bike he didnt like.

NewGuy
Elite
Elite

Re: harsh words

#63 Unread post by NewGuy »

captinamerica wrote: because there are certain advantages to not wearing one. For the astute rider. such as i can hear someone bearing down on me and have escaped cetain calamity.
Well I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't want to wear a helmet because you don't like it, fine it's your choice, but at least be realistic/honest about the reason, rather than making up some BS about not wearing one allowing you to hear or see better and avoid trouble. That's been proven to be false.

Don't believe me? Check this out:
http://www.whohelmets.org/headlines/05- ... earing.htm

Wear what you want, but just don't lie to yourself and others about the factors affecting your choice.

sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#64 Unread post by sv-wolf »

I wear a lid for many reasons: I guess, principally, because I would be very quickly nicked and taken to court if I didn’t. I also wear a helmet because I reckon it increases the odds of my surviving intact. Then again, a couple of my lids are quite sexy looking (I think) and I like wearing them. (In my more excitable or reflexive moods, I also get off on the image.) But mostly, these days, I wear a helmet out of habit. It never occurs to me not to.

It only takes a bit of common sense, though, to work out that the government does not force me to wear the damn thing because it is concerned with my welfare or because it wants to nanny me. That’s just plain daft. Governments reason with a calculator, not with their hearts (bleeding for humanity, I don’t think!). So, why should their attitudes to the wearing of lids be any different? They aren’t. Obviously! As far as I can see, government does not misunderstand my need not to be nannied but has its own agendas.

So, really, I reckon that's the wrong question. Legislation which enforces the wearing of helmets may be annoying to some people, but I can’t help thinking it’s pretty trivial in comparison with many other issues facing us. Personal freedom at this level? I can think of more genuine freedoms that are worth fighting for. How big a deal is it - really?

Am I sounding world weary about this? I guess I am. Well that’s how I’m feeling right now.

Hmm! What shall I wear today? Is this a fetish perhaps?
An obsessive need for security? Or just an absent-minded
habit of acquisition.
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

captinamerica
Regular
Regular

really??????????????????????????????

#65 Unread post by captinamerica »

"Well I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't want to wear a helmet because you don't like it, fine it's your choice, but at least be realistic/honest about the reason, rather than making up some BS about not wearing one allowing you to hear or see better and avoid trouble. That's been proven to be false." NEW GUY
Who has proved this??????? some guys got out and tryied it both ways. and decided for you what was better. or some insurance guys. Decided to interpret statistics and create and idea that they thought was better for them. By using the word signifigant and lane change. what about the guy who sees a car joining them in the lane and needs to change lanes fast. do you really think they tried that and saw for them selves how many got flat weeded by the car in the lane on the other side. I dont hink so. They sat up on a track or parking lot some wear and watched a Guy change into painted lines. with no real hazards. NOw how many do you think sat at some red light and let some full run up on them while they talked on the cell phone. Then figured out which guy heard the car or truck fast enough to dump the clutch and nail the gas and see clearley enough to decide which way was clear.
Last edited by captinamerica on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plan the work then work the plan captain america

Skier

Re: really??????????????????????????????

#66 Unread post by Skier »

captinamerica wrote:"Well I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't want to wear a helmet because you don't like it, fine it's your choice, but at least be realistic/honest about the reason, rather than making up some BS about not wearing one allowing you to hear or see better and avoid trouble. That's been proven to be false." NEW GUY
Who has proved this??????? some guys got out and tryied it both ways. and decided for you what was better. or some insurance guys. Decided to interpret statistics and create and idea that they thought was better for them.
Folks with lab coats, SPL readers and devices that measure peripheral vision. They also have a bunch of letters tacked on to the back of their names.

You can't seriously think these kinds of things can't be empirically measured.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

captinamerica
Regular
Regular

wow

#67 Unread post by captinamerica »

How do you imperically measure chaos in a lab. The same letters fall before their name as the guys who cant even decide if coffee is good or bad. Plus if you read the article they used the word signifigantly with some repetition. what exactly does that mean
plan the work then work the plan captain america

Skier

Re: wow

#68 Unread post by Skier »

captinamerica wrote:How do you imperically measure chaos in a lab. The same letters fall before their name as the guys who cant even decide if coffee is good or bad. Plus if you read the article they used the word signifigantly with some repetition. what exactly does that mean
Feel free to look up what an SPL reader is or how peripheral vision is measured.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

Misguided Missle
Veteran
Veteran

#69 Unread post by Misguided Missle »

MZ33 wrote:There are some states with helmet laws. I wonder how statistics would compare with non-helmet law states, .
ABATE has been tracking this for 20-30 years. You might go visit them.

Here in washingrad, Ive been riding before there was a helmet law, after the state forced it on us, after the people said no we dont want to, and when the helmet companies and the state desided yet again to over rule what we the people wanted.

I wear foam ear plugs, a leather skull cap (WWII Style) and a half shell.

When I called up to get full coverage on my machine (none required here)
They didnt even ask me what kind, if any kind of bucket I had.

I tired to wear my wifes full face, I cant hear anything. Riding deaf is a not recomended

Skier

#70 Unread post by Skier »

Misguided Missle wrote:I tired to wear my wifes full face, I cant hear anything. Riding deaf is a not recomended
Funny enough, your hearing damage was probably caused from not wearing a helmet or hearing protection for many years of riding.