Rollin without a helmet is loud and windy

NewGuy
Elite
Elite

U

#71 Unread post by NewGuy »

captinamerica wrote:"Well I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't want to wear a helmet because you don't like it, fine it's your choice, but at least be realistic/honest about the reason, rather than making up some BS about not wearing one allowing you to hear or see better and avoid trouble. That's been proven to be false." NEW GUY
Who has proved this???????
Well you managed to quote PART of my post, why is it you IGNORED the portion that answered your question?

Well since you chose to willfully ignore it the first time, and remain ignorant rather than educate yourself, here it is again:
They actually did testing that showed what affect wearing a helmet had on hearing and vision. Matters not that the test was on a track versus the street. They showed what the actual affects were.

However, I suspect you'll choose to ignore valid testing methods and continue to rant away emotionally rather than analyze the topic logically.

:roll:

NewGuy
Elite
Elite

Re: wow

#72 Unread post by NewGuy »

captinamerica wrote:How do you imperically measure chaos in a lab. The same letters fall before their name as the guys who cant even decide if coffee is good or bad. Plus if you read the article they used the word signifigantly with some repetition. what exactly does that mean
There is no need to "measure chaos," the BS claim being presented was that wearing a helmet made you less safe due to it's affects on hearing and seeing potential threats. They were able to actually test the affects on vision and hearing and prove those claims are not valid.

As I said, "if you don't want to wear a helmet because you don't like it, fine it's your choice, but at least be realistic/honest about the reason, rather than making up some BS about not wearing one allowing you to hear or see better and avoid trouble. That's been proven to be false."

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#73 Unread post by High_Side »

Two out of nine riders who have skipped their bare heads off the pavement now prefer to wear helmets. The other seven were either dead or too busy drooling to vote.

This scientific study was not imperically measured in a lab. :mrgreen:

princeroyal268
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#74 Unread post by princeroyal268 »

Helmet is necessary while riding a bike not only for protection but also it will make you feel relaxed.

==============================

Prince

worldinfo

Misguided Missle
Veteran
Veteran

#75 Unread post by Misguided Missle »

princeroyal268 wrote:Helmet is necessary while riding a bike not only for protection but also it will make you feel relaxed.
Naw roll a fat one and head on down the road

Skier wrote:
Misguided Missle wrote:I tired to wear my wifes full face, I cant hear anything. Riding deaf is a not recomended
Funny enough, your hearing damage was probably caused from not wearing a helmet or hearing protection for many years of riding.
So sorry, I have great hearing, My ears survived a war, 22 years in the military, and many many rock concerts, From Zepplin to Juda Priest, and a lot in between.

I said I CANT hear a freakin thing with a bucket over my head. I wear foam plugs under my 1/2 shell and can hear way more.

Skier

#76 Unread post by Skier »

Misguided Missle wrote:
princeroyal268 wrote:Helmet is necessary while riding a bike not only for protection but also it will make you feel relaxed.
Naw roll a fat one and head on down the road

Skier wrote:
Misguided Missle wrote:I tired to wear my wifes full face, I cant hear anything. Riding deaf is a not recomended
Funny enough, your hearing damage was probably caused from not wearing a helmet or hearing protection for many years of riding.
So sorry, I have great hearing, My ears survived a war, 22 years in the military, and many many rock concerts, From Zepplin to Juda Priest, and a lot in between.

I said I CANT hear a freakin thing with a bucket over my head. I wear foam plugs under my 1/2 shell and can hear way more.
I really doubt you have great hearing after all you listed. Just a single live concert can permanently damage your hearing. The problem is the effects are cumulative and gradual, so your brain adjusts to the loss in hearing. It can only do that up to a point, though.

If you really can't hear anything with a fullface on, that's indicative of a hearing problem, not a fullface helmet problem. There's plenty of studies showing wearing earplugs, which drop noise reaching your each by magnitudes of power more than a fullface, causing zero problems with audio clues.

Wearing earplugs with a helmet is roughly equivalent to driving in a car with the windows rolled up. If you don't have a problem doing that, you shouldn't have a problem protecting your hearing from further loss by wearing earplugs with any helmet.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#77 Unread post by Wrider »

I'll agree with Skier on this one. I've got very sensitive ears. I have had literally dozens and dozens of ear infections, and had 13 sets of tubes placed in my ears when I was younger. Most docs when they look at my ears are utterly shocked at how scarred my eardrums are. I also have some of the best hearing out there. I have a full range of hearing, tested, from 20 Hz to 20 KHz.
Wearing foam earplugs does lower noise more than a full-face helmet. I've tried riding with both, and I can hear more in my Scorpion Exo 400 than I can with rolled up windows in the car. I would have it more equivalent to having the windows all half-down.
As far as anything with an aftermarket exhaust, I can deal with anything up to about Akrapovic levels, after that, like Two Bros, then I'll put earplugs in underneath my helmet if my riding buddies have that kind of exhaust.
But yeah, overall, Skier has this one, if you can't hear with a full-face on better than with foam ear plugs you've got some sort of hearing problem and need to be checked out.
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#78 Unread post by Johnj »

High_Side wrote:Two out of nine riders who have skipped their bare heads off the pavement now prefer to wear helmets. The other seven were either dead or too busy drooling to vote.

This scientific study was not imperically measured in a lab.
As one of the two I have to agree.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

SBK15
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

#79 Unread post by SBK15 »

I guess i cant say anything about this, Tennessee has a Helmet law and we HAVE to wear them. But when i went down for the first time a year ago, i was slammed right on my side, and my helmet wasnt even scratched. So your body tries its hardest to keep your head up. I'd only not wear a helmet if i was on a back road. for turnpike and 35+ MPH i would deff. wear a helmet
-2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Current Ride
-2007 Suzuki DR650 - Sold
-2007 Kawasaki Eliminator - Sold