Oil in my air filter!!!!!!!

Sparked
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male

Oil in my air filter!!!!!!!

#1 Unread post by Sparked »

Why is my Kawa Vulkan choking on oil in the breathers. Just has
3,500 miles (supposedly)!? Noticed oil in the air intake and won't rev past 5,000 rpm. Was alright yesterday. Just got the bike 2 weeks ago... Anyone familiar.... 4 cyl DOHC 750???

mydlyfkryzis
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: 1976 CB360t, 1991 Honda Nighthawk 750

#2 Unread post by mydlyfkryzis »

What Vulcan is a 4 cyl? I thought all were V-Twins?

What year? Are you sure it's a Vulcan?
Richard - Fully Dressed

Naked 1991 Honda NightHawk 750
Naked 1976 Honda CB360T

Against.Da.Grain
Rookie
Rookie

Yeah VN 750 is a Twin

#3 Unread post by Against.Da.Grain »

Mmmm 3500 miles. Sounds like you got lied to. The oil blowing back is caused by two ailments. First the intake valve guide seal is leaking or the rings are excessively worn. Second for the oil to get blown back through the carburetor your valve clearance may be too tight or your valve or valve seats may be worn. (does the bike smoke?) You may want to do a compression check.

Good Luck

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#4 Unread post by flynrider »

Oil is probably not being blown back through the carb. The most likely source is the crankcase ventilation system which will have a hose running from the crankcase to the airbox.

Bad rings will cause excess crankcase pressure and could blow oil out the breather hose. The more common cause is an excessive amount of oil in the crankcase.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by coffee_brake »

If it's not the crankcase vent...is there WAY too much oil in the crankcase? Is your air filter one of the kind that is supposed to be oiled?
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

Against.Da.Grain
Rookie
Rookie

Ah yes good point.

#6 Unread post by Against.Da.Grain »

Good point Flynrider. Overfilled crankcase oil, probably the most likely especially with low miles like he stated. That crankcase vent tube vents directly into the airbox so the whole airbox and air filter should be oily as well. Sparked - Did you figure it out?

The Viking

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Sev »

flynrider wrote:Oil is probably not being blown back through the carb. The most likely source is the crankcase ventilation system which will have a hose running from the crankcase to the airbox.

Bad rings will cause excess crankcase pressure and could blow oil out the breather hose. The more common cause is an excessive amount of oil in the crankcase.
If it's coming out through the breather then it's not blowing back through the carb.

Three most probable causes in order:
1) oil overfilled
2) crankcase breather seal has dried out and is leaking
3) piston rings/cylinders are worn out
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

sharonbrummitt
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1980/Y2000/L2020

Re: Oil in my air filter!!!!!!!

#8 Unread post by sharonbrummitt »

Sparked wrote: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:57 am Why is my Kawa Vulkan choking on oil in the breathers. Just has 3,500 miles (supposedly)!? Noticed oil in the air intake and won't rev past 5,000 rpm. Was alright yesterday. Just got the bike 2 weeks ago... Anyone familiar.... 4 cyl DOHC 750???
I think excessive blow-by occurs when combustion gases leak past the piston rings into the crankcase, causing an increase in pressure. This can result in oil being pushed into the air intake and breathers.