What did you do today...

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#1321 Unread post by Shorts »

BuzZz wrote:
Shorts wrote:
Offhand, what part does a gun registry play in those numbers?
Not much..... they think I don't own any guns, cause I refuse to register them....but be careful walking around my yard in the dark..... :twisted:

That's my point exactly. Where are the numbers that can accurately count the amount of firearms in either of our countries. And if they can be accurately counted, why is this information held on record? Some states here require registry (BS) but most don't. All FTF (fact to face) sales/trades/gifts within state lines are strictly private.

Gun registry = abomination.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#1322 Unread post by ceemes »

Shorts wrote:
BuzZz wrote:
Shorts wrote:
Offhand, what part does a gun registry play in those numbers?
Not much..... they think I don't own any guns, cause I refuse to register them....but be careful walking around my yard in the dark..... :twisted:

That's my point exactly. Where are the numbers that can accurately count the amount of firearms in either of our countries. And if they can be accurately counted, why is this information held on record? Some states here require registry (BS) but most don't. All FTF (fact to face) sales/trades/gifts within state lines are strictly private.

Gun registry = abomination.
Funny how we have no problem registering cars, motorcycles, aircraft, and other thing and require training and licensing to use them and yet people get their knickers in a twist over having the same requirements for firearms.
Always ask why.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#1323 Unread post by jstark47 »

ceemes wrote:Funny how we have no problem registering cars, motorcycles, aircraft, and other thing and require training and licensing to use them and yet people get their knickers in a twist over having the same requirements for firearms.
Ownership of cars, motorcycles, and aircraft are not Constitutionally guaranteed rights in the USA. Ownership of guns is. There is a strong streak of distrust in strong central governments in our country; it's part of our culture and history. Gun registration smells like creeping infringement on individual rights by a central government whose manifested tendency has been to grow, grow, grow. Canadian perspectives may differ of course, and I would not suggest our priorities and sensibilities apply north of the border.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#1324 Unread post by Johnj »

the United States Constitution wrote:A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Which part of that is difficult to comprehend.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#1325 Unread post by Shorts »

ceemes wrote:
Funny how we have no problem registering cars, motorcycles, aircraft, and other thing and require training and licensing to use them and yet people get their knickers in a twist over having the same requirements for firearms.
People scream and cry about having to wear seat belts or helmets don't they? I've expressed more than enough displeasure over a mandatory closed riding season. And those rules are "for my own good". I'm tired of my rights being limited for arbitrary control of a criminal's actions. That what these ignorant politicians tell me why we need "common sense gun laws" - so that we can keep guns out of the criminals hands, not "sportsman" :sick:

No one is trying to constantly prevent me from buying more cars, or more motorcycles. Though you think if anyone really cared about statistics, they would.

So you sit up there in your naivete and I'll be down here, vigilant about the rights I have in my country.

I've said everything about as nicely and well-thought out as I possibly could in that other thread. I've cited laws and the constitution. I've talked about training. And frankly, I'm a bit tired of none of that making any headway for you to understand. So I'm just going to tell you butt out.

Edit a couple hours later: Ok, the 'butt out' comment really wasn't nice, so I apologize for that. You have questions. What I cannot get past however is the same questions asked, and the same answers given and yet the same question is asked again. What more are you looking for in an answer? It is apparent that a direct answer is not going to satisfy your questions or help you understand why gun owners do what they do. So it can either remain one of life's big mysteries, or you can take our word for it.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#1326 Unread post by ceemes »

Shorts wrote:
ceemes wrote:
People scream and cry about having to wear seat belts or helmets don't they? I've expressed more than enough displeasure over a mandatory closed riding season. And those rules are "for my own good". I'm tired of my rights being limited for arbitrary control of a criminal's actions. That what these ignorant politicians tell me why we need "common sense gun laws" - so that we can keep guns out of the criminals hands, not "sportsman" :sick:

No one is trying to constantly prevent me from buying more cars, or more motorcycles. Though you think if anyone really cared about statistics, they would.

So you sit up there in your naivete and I'll be down here, vigilant about the rights I have in my country.

I've said everything about as nicely and well-thought out as I possibly could in that other thread. I've cited laws and the constitution. I've talked about training. And frankly, I'm a bit tired of none of that making any headway for you to understand. So I'm just going to tell you butt out.

Edit a couple hours later: Ok, the 'butt out' comment really wasn't nice, so I apologize for that. You have questions. What I cannot get past however is the same questions asked, and the same answers given and yet the same question is asked again. What more are you looking for in an answer? It is apparent that a direct answer is not going to satisfy your questions or help you understand why gun owners do what they do. So it can either remain one of life's big mysteries, or you can take our word for it.
Shorts,

Firearms were a major part of my life when I was younger, namely the FN C1 semi-automatic rifle, the FN C2 fully automatic rifle, the Sterling 9MM SMG and the trusty Browning 9MM pistol. And when I was a kid, I owned a pellet rifle, so guns are not a mystery to me.

Now I don't hunt and I don't fear the stranger next door or down the street, so I no longer have a need for or even feel the need to pack heat. Nor do I fear my Government (can't say I trust the bas tards, but who does in this world?) and I don't fear my local Police forces.

To me firearms are tools that really have only one single purpose, and that is to send a lump of metal down range at high velocities with the intent to end a life, be it human or an animal. True they can be used to plunk holes into paper targets or tin can, but that is not what they are designed for really. By their very nature, firearms are a dangerous tool, especially in the hands of inexperienced and untrained individuals.

Now we all as riders have seen our fair share of idiots with drivers licenses operating an automobile in a manner that could be considered homicidal. Most of these idiots don't truly have a murderous intent, however they are a menace to public every time they turn the key. Now tell, do you really want people such as that with ready access to firearms without them at least being trained, registered and licensed first?

Also, when the US Constitution was drawn up, the Brown Bess Musket was the state of the art firearm. I very much doubt that the writers of the Constitution could ever imagine the possibility of a single person having the combined fire power of an entire company of infantry in a single weapon.

I have no problem with private gun ownership, however I do not see what the problem is with having those that wish to own a firearm be required to register the thing and to hold a proper license and insurance and take mandatory training. Seems to make sense to me.
Always ask why.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#1327 Unread post by Shorts »

Replies moved --> viewtopic.php?p=255433#255433

Oh, what did I do today? Worked out, showered, typed stuff online, sent out letters to some legislators. Tonight we're having dinner at a JPN friend's house.

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#1328 Unread post by ofblong »

raked some leaves and replaced the rear wiper motor on the van. made the wife happy and saved $200 by doing it myself isntead of having the stealer install the $50 part.

Tomarrow I get to install the heater core.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#1329 Unread post by JC Viper »

Ever since I got the tires replaced my rear fender kept making a rattling noise every time I hit a large bump. The Fender itself is secure and today I found out what was rattling. While on the highway I rolled over a bump which made the rear rattle and all of a sudden the rear tire is scraping against something at 60 MPH :shock: so I pulled over to the shoulder.

Turns out that the license plate was too close to the rear tire and the LED brake light strip hanging off of it made it swing back and forth. Essentially my rear tire ate my license plate and destroyed the LED strip. I yanked out the plate and bent it back and adjusted the position of it. The good news is that there's no tire damage and the license plate bracket is not able to go anywhere plus I now have a good reason to go buy a flexible and better LED strip compared to the old bulky one that relied on screws for mounting.

Then my speedometer cable broke so I had to ride to the shop without adding any miles to the odometer and to make one hell of a guess as to what my speed was (a 500cc cruiser makes this easy). At first they didn't have the cable for my specific bike so I asked them for one that would fit a Vulcan 800 or 900 (same speedometer mounting) and none were in stock. Then the guy pulls out a cable that was identical to mine but it is missing a part number and description but ended up working and was 50% off since there were no tags on it. I guess with 35,000+ miles on the clock I should've seen this coming but I never thought an analogue speedo cable would break like that.

I also bought Gorilla Tape. I can't believe I kept buying duct tape when this stuff adheres so much better.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#1330 Unread post by BuzZz »

Went to my lil Sis's 40th B-day party lastnight (since I spent today either in bed or melted into the couch, this must count as 'today' I spose). The Bro-in-law went all out and planned a huge surprise party for her with catered food, more booze than most bars have, and bellydancing lessons for the women folk....which worked out great because as the girls got drunker, they got more into showing off this new 'skill set' they developed...... and Sis has some hot friends...... :mrgreen:

:twisted: and I confirmed I am definitely on my way to becoming a dirty old man..... :twisted:

drunk girls are so much fun....
No Witnesses.... :shifty: