Some advice

SilentComposer
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Some advice

#1 Unread post by SilentComposer »

So, my girlfriend and I are moving to a new place. The only problem with the place is that there is no off street parking. The area is really nice... But I don't know what to do about our bikes. We are going to have to park them on the street. Does anyone else have to do this? What are some of my options to deter someone stealing them?

Thanks everyone.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Your best option for deterring theft would probably be a disc lock with a motion alarm. Makes it less of an easy target. You can also park them in between a car and the curb if that's possible.
What a lot of guys here at school do is park their bikes in their apartments, but I'm sure that's because most of us are crazy... :laughing:
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

Combined with the lock and alarm Wrider suggested, I would cover the bike - make sure the cover is big enough that it's not possible to ID the type of bike. They're less likely to steal it if they can't tell what it is.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

Definitely a good idea on the cover. Get one big enough to cover the wheels and not be too tight on the bike. Most of us bike nerds are good enough to ID bikes underneath covers like that. Also make sure it fastens at the bottom so it's harder to lift up inconspicuously.
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#5 Unread post by ofblong »

if your on the bottom floor put it in yer living room. If your up a flight of stairs ride it on up :D.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

SilentComposer
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by SilentComposer »

It sounds like the ideal situation would be to obviously put it in my living room. It has like 3 steps to get to my door... Is it actually possible to ride up and down stairs... How do I go about that?

If that is not possible then I would get the disc lock with an alarm and a cover and if possible wedge it behind a car.

Gunslinger
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006/Suzuki/SV650

#7 Unread post by Gunslinger »

Dude, the living room is gonna be a PITA. If you were Lemmy from Motorhead I'd say go for it but you ain't. Just park it on the street with a disk lock and alarm, it will be fine.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Wrider »

SilentComposer wrote:It sounds like the ideal situation would be to obviously put it in my living room. It has like 3 steps to get to my door... Is it actually possible to ride up and down stairs... How do I go about that?

If that is not possible then I would get the disc lock with an alarm and a cover and if possible wedge it behind a car.
Yeah it's possible to ride up and down stairs, but the low ground clearance of your bike wouldn't let it do that unfortunately. Unless somehow you figured out how to bunnyhop the thing up and down... haha
But yeah, disc lock with alarm, covered, and wedged behind a car sounds like the best situation.
Good luck!
Wrider

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#9 Unread post by ofblong »

Wrider wrote:
SilentComposer wrote:It sounds like the ideal situation would be to obviously put it in my living room. It has like 3 steps to get to my door... Is it actually possible to ride up and down stairs... How do I go about that?

Yeah it's possible to ride up and down stairs, but the low ground clearance of your bike wouldn't let it do that unfortunately. Unless somehow you figured out how to bunnyhop the thing up and down... haha
But yeah, disc lock with alarm, covered, and wedged behind a car sounds like the best situation.
Good luck!
Wrider
depends on the stairs. if they are like mine then it woudl be easy (mine are 110 years old in my house). course I have a detatched garage on my house so bike stays there haha.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#10 Unread post by JC Viper »

You could get yourself those bike tents that can be folded when not in use. It's basically a portable garage. the new Roadbike magazine has one in their back pages so you can check out who makes it and how much.

I use a cover when I park my bike in the street and many people in NYC do this as well and it works provided the whole bike is covered. Then a heavy duty Kryptonite NY chain and lock to tie to an immovable object.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.