Jake-Suzuki GSXR 750 K7
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Im Back! Gixxer 750 k7

#1 Unread post by Jake-Suzuki GSXR 750 K7 »

First of all check out my previous topic
My New Bike - GSXR 750 K7

Now i was told to go away and ride for a season or so and the come back and tell you all what it was like riding a restricted 7fiddy. Well, its awesome. Not as fast obviously because of the restriction, but it keeps up with the full power 600s on a straight and anything in the corners. I didnt think it would be that fast for a restricted bike but it doesnt do bad. I was told the brakes would be razor sharp... bollocks. I found they were abit soft initially but cope well under heavy use.

Saying this i had an introduction with the tarmac/snow the first bloody week! :shock: While leaving work after the most snow we have had in england in march forever, i lost the back end while accelerating!! Seeing and hearing her grinding down the road then cutting out was a killer. I picked her up, inspected the damage and carried on, (Even more cautious!!!). I shouldnt have been riding in the snow but how else would i learn my lesson :frusty:

The damage was minimal as i had all the R&G Crash bobbins everywhere possible thankfully! Anyway, from that point ive been fine, learning the roads and getting used to ridding a bigger bike.

Ive had a few moments where ive left a few marks (in my pants) because of some tunnel vision drivers! but i was expecting this.

Almost a year has past now, riding in all weather and ive clocked up 8000miles! My right hand is itching for full throttle though... :D

Anyway just thought i would reply after the last topic being quite a heated one!!

Regards,

Jake.
Ride safe, not slow. Ride fast but safely. :)

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

So you haven't killed yourself. Good job.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Jake-Suzuki GSXR 750 K7
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by Jake-Suzuki GSXR 750 K7 »

Johnj,

No havnt killed myslef yet, i hope to keep it that way :D
Ride safe, not slow. Ride fast but safely. :)

Theweapon52
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by Theweapon52 »

I read a few posts on your last topic, and it does not make sense to me why you went down the path you did with your first bike, but, to each his own.

It seems to me that a lot of people on this site are dead against people buying bigger bikes as first bikes, and it makes sense. However i believe that an irresponsible experienced rider is more dangerous as an inexperienced responsible rider. So as long as you keep your fast riding to the track and your responsible, law-abiding riding to the street, you should be fine.

Take into consideration that there are far more deaths caused by motorcycle crashed in the public than there are on the race track, yet the speeds on a race track theoretically greatly exceed those on the streets....ever consider why?

There are really only a few reasons why people crash motorcycles in the first place and a few of them include: charging corners, repeating mistakes and abusive use of controls (i.e throttle and brakes). All of these are directly related to taking race track riding to the streets.

Hope you continue to have fun on your ride.

the_sandman_454
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by the_sandman_454 »

I don't understand the obsession with race bikes as first bikes.

As an example, we know NASCAR, F1, etc high level race drivers don't just walk in and step into their respective highest level cars, they work their way up.

Same with motorcycle racing, they start on smaller machines and as their skills mature they can advance to more powerful bikes.

Same with pilots, they won't throw you out into the biggest, baddest plane out there unless you have some experience on less powerful ones first.

Makes as much sense as giving some 15 y/o kid on a learner's permit a Ferarri or something equally powerful to learn on and hone his/her skills.

Good job at not having hurt yourself yet, just don't go preaching that everyone is fine starting that way please, enough people make that unwise decision as it is.

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#6 Unread post by Johnj »

Remember Jake is in England and had to have his engine restricted to like 33bhp. And the training over there is extraordinary compared to the States. Jake has survived his first year, and I hope he has many more to enjoy.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Shorts »

the_sandman_454 wrote:I don't understand the obsession with race bikes as first bikes.

As an example, we know NASCAR, F1, etc high level race drivers don't just walk in and step into their respective highest level cars, they work their way up.

Same with motorcycle racing, they start on smaller machines and as their skills mature they can advance to more powerful bikes.

Same with pilots, they won't throw you out into the biggest, baddest plane out there unless you have some experience on less powerful ones first.

Makes as much sense as giving some 15 y/o kid on a learner's permit a Ferarri or something equally powerful to learn on and hone his/her skills.

Good job at not having hurt yourself yet, just don't go preaching that everyone is fine starting that way please, enough people make that unwise decision as it is.

Because its cool yo :motorcycle5:

No one gets reasonable until after the age of 25 when the insurance premiums change :mrgreen:

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#8 Unread post by RockBottom »

Shorts wrote:
the_sandman_454 wrote:I don't understand the obsession with race bikes as first bikes.

Because its cool yo :motorcycle5:

No one gets reasonable until after the age of 25 when the insurance premiums change :mrgreen:

Like Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid."

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#9 Unread post by blues2cruise »

:clap:
Welcome back.