AMA Women and Motorcycling Conference

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#11 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Feh. :roll: We don't HAVE to ride through Kansas. We don't have to do the interstate through Kansas. However, the interstate will get us through the quickest. I'll admit that that stretch is the one that I'm a bit concerned about. But I've ridden in TORRENTIAL rain on the highway, with my daughter on the back of my bike. It's about being aware and prepared. Mental toughness is probably the key. Don't let it freak you out, and you can do it.

Just because the guys don't think its a good idea... who cares? Probably won't be a lot of fun. But getting through it, and looking back, having DONE it, is priceless.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#12 Unread post by MZ33 »

Yeah, I'm not really going to let Kansas stop me. But it does remind me that I want to prep for that kind of thing. "That kind of thing" being my eloquent reference to the nitty-gritty considerations that, being a novice to riding in general and distance in particular, I may not think of on my own.

On the hubby front, I believe he is now on the page with me. I could see him put his problem-solving hat on as he considered how to address our ignorance about such matters as the winds of Kansas. Also, the 2nd bike in our family, yet to be purchased, will take these kinds of trips into account.

As for my vibrations on the V-Star, Blues, I wonder if a) the narrower tire on the Custom makes any difference than your Classic, b) my bike has a mystery history as I bought it used from a dealer who got it from his Florida dealership, so it may not be in the best shape, or c) I'm just really sensitive to vibrations and the like in my hands. I was not expecting it, because almost no one complains of that type of problem in riding. But, after an hour or more out on the expressway, it really bothers me. Maybe it is a fatigue issue. I already have a throttle rocker.

I will work it out, somehow. Even if not for Colorado, for all the other trips I want to take!!
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

#13 Unread post by coffee_brake »

As per vibrations in the hand grips:

I truly believe it gets better as you become more relaxed and don't grip the bars so tight. The single-cylinder Savage is definately going to vibrate more, but a throttle rocker ($11) and a pair of gel gloves will help a lot. And so will willing yourself to not grip the bars so hard. It doesn't help, you know, it only makes the steering more stiff and difficult because you're fighting your whole upper body when you clench the grips like that.

I did it too, it took a good while of riding to stop doing it. Even now if I'm worried I grip. Like tonight, it was pea-soup fog and my back and arms are tight from a 20-minute ride because I was on high alert the whole time and didn't relax at all. Yes yes yes, be aware always but you gotta not tense up like that.

I'm pretty sure the SV650 should not be causing pain in the hands. About all that's left (and these are easy to check) is, are there rubber dampers holding the handlebar clamps, that need to be replaced? Or, are the wheels balanced properly? unbalanced wheels will vibrate through your hands like that. Easy to check, cheap and easy to fix.

Thank you MZ! Let's see...does Ohio get me out of going through Kansas again? :wink:

Kansas is nothing to freak out about. It's really beautiful in the East part, off the freeway.
In sprintime it was, anyway, when I crossed it. I was mostly on the freeway and yes it was tiring, but I had some music in the helmet and there *is* stuff to look at, but by the time you reach it, you've been looking at it for 30 minutes!
I just took a few breaks, drank water and ate lunch throught the helmet, and moved around on the saddle a lot, as usual. My big Concours is a veritable sailboat of a bike. But the wind was no trouble. Really, the flat dull part of Kansas is only what, 6-7 hours? Not even a whole day.
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#14 Unread post by MZ33 »

Thanks, coffee-brake! I kind of doubt I grip too hard--used to ride horses a lot, and you get over that in a hurry, especially if they are young or well-tuned. But, someday, ages from now, when the weather improves :( , I'll review. And when I take the ERC, I'll ask the instructors to keep an eye peeled for it.

I'm interested in the rubber dampers. I will check them as soon as she comes back. The roads cleared briefly on Friday, so I took her down the the guys at the shop, who will clean the carbs, inspect the valves, stuff that the 8,000 mile checkup need.

And Sunday, I went and sat on the new 950 V-Star. Perfect, perfect, perfect. If this weren't it's first year of production, I'd give it serious consideration. Ah, well. I'm still interested in getting the 650 "right." Once my husband rides a little more, maybe he'll take it out for longer distances and see if the vibration bothers him at all. That'll be a clue.

Thanks so much for all the help, everyone!! I've started my AAA Triptik, and am investigating bluetooth thingies as well. :D (Me singing: "I'm going to Colorado, I'm going to Colorado!!)
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

Lion_Lady

#15 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Okay. It looks like I'm the only one nuts enough to plan to get 1700 miles in 4 days. The other ladies I'd figured on joining me on the trip are either spending 7 days to get there (I don't have vacation, have to take time off from work) or not going at all.

So. I may be riding solo. I can't expect any of you new riders to keep up with me, but I'll surely welcome company if I can get it.

Pam

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#16 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Sheesh, that's only 425 miles per day, a good easy pace. Maybe I can meet up with you on the second day or something and finish it out with you...if you can stand to be seen with a lowly Kawasaki!

:mrgreen:
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

SCgurl
Elite
Elite

#17 Unread post by SCgurl »

Kinda OT:

coffee_brake, thanks for the gel glove/throttle lock suggestion! The gel gloves actually helped me to relax my hands and arms a bit more, as I think I was gripping too hard due to the vibrations (feeling like I would lose my grip). I had to wait for the weather to clear enough to get out for a few hours to try it!

It's still not comfortable over 60, though. The vibrations kinda work their way up my spine. BF was concerned about a trip that long without having done a decent-length run alone regionally, so I decided to try an I-26 run towards Columbia. That's when I really started to feel the limits of the bike (speed limit is 70, and traffic tends to move much faster). I got as far as Ridgeville before it just got to be too much.

I swapped rides with a bunch of really wonderful friends for the same run (Sportster, '75-ish BMW, Meanstreak, Road King, C50T, etc.). They all said the same thing about the vibration-it's not just me. It's great for commuting in the city, but not so much for the interstate. And I noticed a HUGE difference on the other bikes.

Without getting too long-winded, I think I'm going to skip the AMA women's conference this year and wait until I've got another season under my belt before I try a cross-country trip. I think we're doing the OBX bike week as a start :D
2008 Suzuki S40-for sale
2007 Road King-waiting until mid-May
[url=http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/Jeni1090/?action=view&current=IMG_0051.jpg][img]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/Jeni1090/th_IMG_0051.jpg[/img][/url]

Lion_Lady

#18 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

coffee_brake wrote:Sheesh, that's only 425 miles per day, a good easy pace. Maybe I can meet up with you on the second day or something and finish it out with you...if you can stand to be seen with a lowly Kawasaki!
:mrgreen:
I don't care what yer ridin, Hon!! :laughing: It will be nice to have company!

P

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#19 Unread post by dr_bar »

SCgurl wrote: That's when I really started to feel the limits of the bike (speed limit is 70, and traffic tends to move much faster). I got as far as Ridgeville before it just got to be too much.
Sorry to interupt here, but have you thought of bar dampeners? the link below is an example...

http://www.barsnake.com/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#20 Unread post by Johnj »

The Bar Snake wrote:The Bar Snake eliminates harmonic resonate frequencies that eminate from cyclic engine vibrations that are transmitted through the vehicle frame to the handlebars. The Bar Snake damps out these resonate vibrations because the polymer of the Bar Snake has a low hysterisis factor, which means that the polymer doesn't transmit vibrations.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.