Which, how, and when do you cover your levers?

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Which, how, and when do you cover your levers?

#1 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Just trying to get a feel for how people do it around here. Is there an absolutely right way to cover your levers, or is it a matter of personal comfort?

At any speed above say, jogging speed, I cover the brake lever with my pointer and middle fingers, and grab the left grip with all five fingers.

At slow speeds (filtering through traffic, U turns, etc.), I cover my clutch with pointer and middle fingers, and don't cover my front brake lever at all; all 5 fingers are wrapped around the throttle.

When I'm going really slowly, I've found it smoother to modulate speed using the clutch and rear brake (got this tip from Captain Crash). Plus I've accidentally grabbed the front brake during a U turn and almost dumped the bike.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Theweapon52
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by Theweapon52 »

I dont usually "cover" my front brake at all when i am riding at any speed. I personally would find especially in slower moving traffic or in low speed cornering that if a car crossed over or if i hit some gravel, i would grab the front bake and probably dump my bike. My rear brake is my primary source of speed control and stoppage at low speeds, along with feathering the clutch, so i always have all fingers around the throttle i suppose and all around the clutch.

When im at a consistent pace, whatever the speed, i like to keep all 5 fingers, on both hands, on the grips at all times.

When coming to a complete stop either from higher or lower speeds i always rotate my wrist forward to shut the throttle off and then reach for my brake starting with my pinky finger and moving toward my index (just find i stop more smoothly if i do it that way). I use that same method for optimum control braking and as i said just before stopping at any speed.

TEvo
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by TEvo »

I don't think there is any one right way. I believe this depends on: the situation, the bike, and the rider's personal preference.

If I am riding in urban areas (Chicago Metro area) or SEE is telling me I am in a situation that may require quick reaction time, I almost always cover the clutch and front brake. Sometimes also the rear.
The Monster has a really stiff clutch pull so I cover that with four fingers. The front brakes are ferocious on that bike so at most, two fingers, often just one. In contrast, the rear brake is pretty weak. The CBR has really light clutch pull so might cover with just two. The front brake doesn't quite have the instant on response so I cover with two and conversely, the rear brake is much stronger and more sensitive so I don't cover it at all on this bike. I have even adjusted the lever lower than it's stock position so that I'd have to really mash it down to lock the rear wheel.

During tight/slow speed manuevers, I will be using a lot of clutch modulation so I will cover that and also the rear brake.
Two Big Jugs or Four Small Cups. Life's Good.
`08 CBR1000RR "Ayane" - the Shinkansen
`07 S4Rs "Persephone" - urban Monster
`00 SV650 "Ayame" - trackday special

IcyHound
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by IcyHound »

I do the two finger thing on both when I'm in heavy traffic. When I'm cruising along I don't cover either.
------------------------
Kawasaki Fangirl
I ride Mantis - Yamaha FZ6

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

Re: Which, how, and when do you cover your levers?

#5 Unread post by shane-o »

Grey Thumper wrote:Just trying to get a feel for how people do it around here. Is there an absolutely right way to cover your levers, or is it a matter of personal comfort?

At any speed above say, jogging speed, I cover the brake lever with my pointer and middle fingers, and grab the left grip with all five fingers.

At slow speeds (filtering through traffic, U turns, etc.), I cover my clutch with pointer and middle fingers, and don't cover my front brake lever at all; all 5 fingers are wrapped around the throttle.

When I'm going really slowly, I've found it smoother to modulate speed using the clutch and rear brake (got this tip from Captain Crash). Plus I've accidentally grabbed the front brake during a U turn and almost dumped the bike.

I dont go near my levers unless im going to use them, or I suspect I may need to use them.

In fact, Ill go as far to say, its bad practice to cover levers like your suggesting, cause while ya doing that ya dont have total control over ya bars.

Dont forget, its not braking alone that keeps you alive, its anticipation, safety space, and your overall control over ya bike.

Jus my opinion.

[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#6 Unread post by Skier »

shane-o wrote:
Grey Thumper wrote:Just trying to get a feel for how people do it around here. Is there an absolutely right way to cover your levers, or is it a matter of personal comfort?

I dont go near my levers unless im going to use them, or I suspect I may need to use them.
That. If I'm riding in deer territory, especially at night, I'm apt to cover the front brake. If my Ridey-Sense (think Spidey-Sense) is tripped I'll cover the front brake.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

LS1GOAT
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by LS1GOAT »

shane-o wrote:

In fact, Ill go as far to say, its bad practice to cover levers like your suggesting, cause while ya doing that ya dont have total control over ya bars.

Dont forget, its not braking alone that keeps you alive, its anticipation, safety space, and your overall control over ya bike.

Jus my opinion.

Covering your breaks will shave off probably at least half a second of reaction time for most riders. At 40MPH, half a second is about 30 feet. I'd much rather have that 30 extra feet of insurance over what little control you lose by covering your brake with two fingers.

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

#8 Unread post by shane-o »

LS1GOAT wrote:
shane-o wrote:

Jus my opinion.

Covering your breaks will shave off probably at least half a second of reaction time for most riders. At 40MPH, half a second is about 30 feet. I'd much rather have that 30 extra feet of insurance over what little control you lose by covering your brake with two fingers.

So am I to understand that you ride with 2 fingers over ya front brake at all times ?

If that is what your saying, then good luck to ya, and Ill see you on the other side much later than when you arrive there ;)

[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

NNYrider
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by NNYrider »

I'll throw my two cents in this ring. (How's that for a mixed metaphor?).

Covering the levers "depends". What is your skill level, what are the conditions/hazards and what bike are your riding?

Skill Level: Are you a novice? If so, don't cover the brake lever. This is one of those habits I have to train out of people. (If you insist on covering the brake, and refuse or are unable to loose the habit, the rider is counselled out of the MSF BRC on the range I work at - Too many panicked, out of control front brake induced dives). Most newbies don't have the familiarity/coordination required to handle the throttle AND the brake at the same time. Covering the brake frequently leads to truly pathetic throttle control. Its four fingers on the throttle or four on the brake. This 'forces' concentration on one task at one time. It works fairly well... Riding at an advanced level? Then by all means do what ya wanna....... Two fingers on the throttle and two on the brake (or something similar) are routine for trail braking...

Conditions: Will I ride covering for extended periods of 'low hazard' riding? Nope. No way. Too tiring. Do I begin to cover when the threat assessment shows increased hazards? you betcha....

Bike: Can you successfully "cover" levers by using a two on-two off finger hold? It depends. If you are riding a decent sportie, with two huge twin calipers up front you can easily bring the bike to a controlled quick stop with two fingers. It's not so easy with an under-braked overwieght cruiser. It's near impossible on a twin drum nighthawk or a mid-80's Harley... Four finger covering? See comments about fatigue and thrreat assessment above...

Penguin
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by Penguin »

Me and NNYrider seem to have the same view on this one. If you're experienced and know what you're doing covering your levers then fair enough.

If you're a novice though, don't do it. yes you'll stop quicker in an emergency. But if you go into a corner too quick, the temptation is there to grab the front brake and if you do it you're going to eat tarmac. Plus there's the added problem of faitgue and throttle control, but I wouldn't do it just for this reason. It's so easy to panic brake and dump the bike, whereas if you aren't covering the leavers you need to make a conscious effort to brake.

IMHO of course, and I'm not very experienced so I could well be wrong...that's why I wouldn't do it though.