Is there a bike out with a mix of cruiser and sport bike?

ShawnKing
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

Re: Is there a bike out with a mix of cruiser and sport bike

#11 Unread post by ShawnKing »

gsus wrote: Is there maybe a better bike that you guys can think of that would suit me a bit better? I'm 5'10" (30" inseam) and about 275lbs.
Tough to recommend a particular bike because we are all different but no one has yet mentioned the Sport Touring (ST) segment. Not as "hunched over" as a "true" sport bike but not as "leaned back as a cruiser, either.

ST's have *lots* of get up and go, are set up for touring distances but also have decent enough suspensions to have fun in the twisty bits too.

Take a look at the segment leaders: Yamaha FJR1300 (my bike), Honda ST1300, Kawasaki Concourse 1400 and the BMW K 1200 GT and BMW R 1200 RT. There's also a Triumph and a Ducati that can be thrown into the mix.

Good luck!
Shawn King
Your Bike Life
http://www.yourbikelife.com
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300A

desper
Elite
Elite

#12 Unread post by desper »

I've owned a cruiser, and a sportbike... now settled somewhere inbetween with the triumph...

'07 Triumph Scrambler 900

Big B
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#13 Unread post by Big B »

desper wrote:I've owned a cruiser, and a sportbike... now settled somewhere inbetween with the triumph...

god i love those :drool2:
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!

gsus
Regular
Regular

#14 Unread post by gsus »

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Unfortunately I'm biased towards the Japanese (& Ducati) bikes because I have several local dealers for them around me....

Suzuki B-King -
I got to sit on one of these bikes a few weeks ago while my friend was buying an 09 600 GSXR. It felt big and wide while still feeling somewhat comfy... unfortunately it's out of my $5-7K price range, plus insurance is $1500/yr for me. Not to mention that it may be more machine than I will ever need.
Ducati Monster 1100 -
I love the look of this bike, but the ducati price and insurance is what makes me say no once again!
Suzuki V-Strom (1000cc model) -
The ergos sure looks comfy, but I'm still trying to get over the look of the bike. One attractive feature that appeals to me is that (I believe) they are optional with ABS.
Yamaha V-Max (pre-09 model) -
Awesome performance on paper (haven't ridden one) and cheap to insure... only downside that I can think of is the carbs. The look is a bit wierd, but I'll have to wait until I see one in person.
Grey Thumper wrote:Do you still want to keep the classic look of a cruiser?
I like the look of the retro bikes, but I just can’t see myself buying one.
storysunfolding wrote:Anyway- why not just add bar raisers or helibars to the VFR? It'll get you less in a sportbike position but keep you on a sweet bike.
I did install some taller bars that raised them about 3/4”-1” from stock. In fact the bars have moved up so much they barely clear the fairing. The raise did help some, but more of a raise would be my preference. These cops look pretty comfortable on their VFR800’s:
500x375 Police VFR800 with tall risers | 800x600 Police VFR with tall risers | 800x545 VFR with tall risers

I've considered getting the LSL bars that spieglerusa.com offers, but they require modification to the fairing... Kind of a turn of and they don't say how much rise and pullback I'll get with those. Still trying to get info on them though.
ShawnKing wrote:Take a look at the segment leaders: Yamaha FJR1300 (my bike), Honda ST1300, Kawasaki Concourse 1400 and the BMW K 1200 GT and BMW R 1200 RT. There's also a Triumph and a Ducati that can be thrown into the mix.
My local dealer (Chicago Cycle) has a few of these on the floor, but I’ve only sat on the used models due to my fear of knocking them. Anyway, I absolutely liked the FJR that they had, but sport tourers seem like too much machine for my 2 mile commute to work, the occasional 20 miles cruise and my rare 50-100 mile weekend rides. If I rode a lot more, I would surely look into picking one of these up. Insurance for them seems to be cheaper if not equal to a lot of the bikes that were suggested to me here, with the exception of the Concours14 for some reason?

wrecks
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: two wheeled vehicle

#15 Unread post by wrecks »

NewGuy wrote:Sounds like you're looking for a standard like the Suzuki SV650.
I 2nd this motion! Either a used SV650 Naked or the Suzuki Gladius which is basically the SV650.
cag 50cc (pit bike)
91 Ninja 250 (sold)
2k6 GSXR 600 (taken out by cager)
2k6 XT 225
2k8 CBR 1000rr
2k9 DRZ 400sm

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#16 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

wrecks wrote:
NewGuy wrote:Sounds like you're looking for a standard like the Suzuki SV650.
I 2nd this motion! Either a used SV650 Naked or the Suzuki Gladius which is basically the SV650.
If I had it to do over again... I'd probably opt for a SV650 with ABS, since the wind doesn't bother me too much... A lot smaller and lighter than my B-King. Oh, with a full complement of sliders...

Hehe. But I'm not leaving the B-King yet. I love the bike. And I'll love getting new parts and putting them on the bike. I just won't love paying for the parts... :)

Ah well.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

ShawnKing
Elite
Elite

#17 Unread post by ShawnKing »

gsus wrote:Anyway, I absolutely liked the FJR that they had, but sport tourers seem like too much machine for my 2 mile commute to work, the occasional 20 miles cruise and my rare 50-100 mile weekend rides.
Understandable. But, if you got an FJR, you'd make your commute 40 miles, your occasional rides 100 and your weekends 500 mile trips! :)
Insurance for them seems to be cheaper if not equal to a lot of the bikes that were suggested to me here, with the exception of the Concours14 for some reason?
The vast majority of insurance folks have no clue about bikes and will only look at the class of bike (and what other customers have crashed on). So they see sport bikes as the segment that "hooligans" ride and sport tourers for "old men".

If only they knew that Sport tourers are often described as "triple digit sightseeing". :)
Shawn King
Your Bike Life
http://www.yourbikelife.com
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300A

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#18 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

gsus wrote:I like the upright positioning of the cruisers better
I prefer to have my feet below me rather than in front of me
I like disc brakes front and back (my cruisers had drum brakes in back!)
I like the extra distance that I get with 5.5gal tank in the VFR
I like the down low torque of the V-twins (but also the rush of HP in the VFR and Magna)
I don't like the vibration from the V-twins (the V4's win here for me)
I don't necessarily like or dislike fairings, so I'm indifferent here
I'd prefer to do away with carbs, but I can go either way.
Yamaha FZ6 or FZ1, Kawasaki ER6, Kawasaki Z750 or 1000, Honda 599 or 919, and either the 1000(ish) or 600(ish) versions of the Suzuki V Strom, Bandit, or SV.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#19 Unread post by ceemes »

ShawnKing wrote:
gsus wrote: Is there maybe a better bike that you guys can think of that would suit me a bit better? I'm 5'10" (30" inseam) and about 275lbs.
Tough to recommend a particular bike because we are all different but no one has yet mentioned the Sport Touring (ST) segment. Not as "hunched over" as a "true" sport bike but not as "leaned back as a cruiser, either.

ST's have *lots* of get up and go, are set up for touring distances but also have decent enough suspensions to have fun in the twisty bits too.

Take a look at the segment leaders: Yamaha FJR1300 (my bike), Honda ST1300, Kawasaki Concourse 1400 and the BMW K 1200 GT and BMW R 1200 RT. There's also a Triumph and a Ducati that can be thrown into the mix.

Good luck!
+1 and don't forget either the Triumph ST or the Suzuki 1250 Bandit SE. Both tilt more towards the sport end of the ST spectrum while maintaining an up-right riding position. And both are smaller and lighter then either the Honda ST1300 or the Kawasaki Concourse, even so my 6' 3" 275 lbs frame fitted very comfortably on both.
Always ask why.

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#20 Unread post by MZ33 »

MZEE is still suffering from newbikitis
:laughing: :laughing: How could you say such a thing? :motorcyclelove: Just 'cuz I haven't even ridden it home yet?

Also brings us back to the fit thing--they can't lower the V Strom much, apparently.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]