HELMETS

RC DAVE
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

HELMETS

#1 Unread post by RC DAVE »

One of the poll Questions was would you spend 1 2 or 300 dollars on a helmet. I know should of answered it there! Anyway as safety minded as everyone is these days $3oo is a middle of the road helmet for a lot of brands. open or half lids are a bit less. I collect helmets like my wife collects purses. so let's here it, this topic is always quite debated in the magazines. Currently own Joe Rocket(carbon fibre) shark (real nice) HJC (CF) High end kbc CF and the holy grail ARAI TOMMY HAYDEN REPLICA none of wich are cheap but whats you head worth, I don't own a half or 3/4 helmet once ya get used to the full face there's nothing that offers more protection than a full face helmet. Even on the cruiser in florida if ya do some research and see what brands flow air well these days there's almost no exscuse. Unless you have real bad breath :bag: have a great day bike season is right around the corner for most (with out a full face) so would you or have you spent 5+ on a lid?
SEMPER FI
05 RC-51
06 800 bulevard
05 XR- fiddy
WISH I HAD A 1098

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by mgdavis »

My current helmet is a HJC AC-12, I spent $225 on it three years ago when I was just starting to ride. In the next couple months I'm going to replace it with an Arai Profile, which is going to be about double that amount.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

Gunslinger
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006/Suzuki/SV650

#3 Unread post by Gunslinger »

I think it's ironic that an el cheapo sub-$100 ZR1 helmet beat out several other brands costing 5 times as much in a safety test conducted by Motorcyclist a couple years ago. I buy helmets based on 1) fit and comfort 2) Looks 3) Snell rating 4) Price. Paid $129 for a Scorpion EXO helmet last year and I couldn't be happier with it.

RC DAVE
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by RC DAVE »

Gun scorpion makes a good helmet and mat mladin wears one off the shelf says alot for them. I have this need for carbon fibre and high tech goodies. Thats why i said its always a hot topic iv'e seen alot of entry level helmets that meet most standards, they have too. I guess some exede more than others. And the options go up with price unfortunately. Have a great day
SEMPER FI
05 RC-51
06 800 bulevard
05 XR- fiddy
WISH I HAD A 1098

demon_racer23
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by demon_racer23 »

I just picked up this awesome Arai
http://www.compacc.com/p.cfm/c/9001000/p/16699

It fits great, lightweight and keeps my head cool. God forbid I actually wreck with it, but I know it would protect me. Totally worth the $400.
My favorite bike sites!
www.motorcycle-usa.com
www.compacc.com
www.helmetexpress.com
www.tireexpress.com

shalihe74
Legendary
Legendary

#6 Unread post by shalihe74 »

As it's already been pointed out - some of the less expensive helmets out-performed premium helmets in the Motorcyclist test. My experience has been that, the more you spend on a helmet, the more features you're buying: better venting/air flow, thicker/more comfortable padding, more aerodynamic design, etc.

That having been said, I regularly buy helmets that retail between $400 - $600 (AGV is my current favorite brand, but I'm also a fan of Shoei), buuuuut... tend to buy them on close-out so I tend to average about $300 a lid. (My most recent AGV cost $250, regular price ~$475; I'm looking at another for $300, regular price ~$520.)
[b][i]"Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want." [/i]

2009 Triumph Sprint ST - daily commuter
2006 Triumph Daytona 675 - track bike
1999 Suzuki SV650 - track training bike[/b]

vito
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: Triumph America

#7 Unread post by vito »

When I returned to biking two years ago I bought an HJC modular helmet and was pretty satisfied with it, for the $200 that I paid. But previously I had always used Shoei, so this year I bought a Shoei Multitec for $410. It is not as quiet as I remember a Shoei to be, and frankly, does not seem that much of an improvement over the HJC to justify the extra cost. But for the next few years I guess I am going to use it and try to enjoy it.

Dragon on Wheels
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by Dragon on Wheels »

I recently bought a new helmet (Shoei), but on closeout sale so it was priced quite nicely. My previous helmet was too small and it's amazing I put up with it for so long. This one fits much nicer and while I was testing the fit at home watching tv, I actually fell asleep on the sofa with it on :laughing: (I was very tired from work though). It was about twice as expensive as my HJC, but so far I think it was well worth it.
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Wordherder
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Harley 2009 Superglide

#9 Unread post by Wordherder »

Spend as much on the helmet as you think your head is worth. As my MSF instructor said: "If your brain is worth $50, get a $50 helmet."

Mine is worth $310, a Nolan modular. Haven't regretted the purchase price for a moment. When you come right down to the basics, all you really have is your brain and your hands.

So I've got a high-end brain bucket and armored gloves. (Plus armored jacket and Draggin' jeans for lagniappe.)
Harley Superglide Custom
Born to be ... Courteously deferential. If that 's OK with you.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#10 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Started out with a SNELL-rated HJC fullface. After I read the Motorcyclist article, I decided to get a non-SNELL Caberg Trip (ECE-rated though). Once the Caberg gets old, I figure I'll partially base my next helmet decision on the SHARP rating scheme (although the Caberg Trip gets 5 stars there too). As is usual, fit and comfort are the most important factors of course. I tend to get helmets that are roughly in the $200 range; fancy paint jobs (I prefer a solid bright color anyway), exotic materials, and extra features don't really do it for me. You're gonna replace the thing in 4-5 years anyway.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."