HELMETS

Gunslinger
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006/Suzuki/SV650

#11 Unread post by Gunslinger »

Wordherder wrote:Spend as much on the helmet as you think your head is worth. As my MSF instructor said: "If your brain is worth $50, get a $50 helmet."
I would have to disagree with that. More money does not always mean more better. The helmet makers don't want you to know that but it's true. Get the helmet you can afford with the features you are looking for.

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#12 Unread post by jmillheiser »

Get the helmet with the features you want that fits you the best.

I have a friend who owes his life to an inexpensive 90$ helmet, wasn't anything fancy but it did save his life.

redb1ker
Regular
Regular

HJC

#13 Unread post by redb1ker »

I train and ride in a HJC CL-5 (open face) and ride with goggles. I think I paid around $80 for my last one. I expect they are around $100 now. It fits as good as my $350 Shoei. When I am on long trip I wear the Shoei because it is a full face. Just don't buy second hand (who knows how a previous owner treated a helmet) and make sure it is going to fit. Snug and the cheek pads touch your cheeks. Don't wear baseball caps or bandannas underneath. Wear the helmet around the dealer for a bit. If there is a sore spot where the helmet hits you, it is not the one. They shouldn't break in. Just pick a different style or brand helmet. If you have a $40 head buy a $40 helmet. 1/2 helmets tend to come off in a crash, so I really don't trust those much. There are a lot of "novelty" helmets out there. They look cool but, don't have the polystyrene on the inside, so they do you no good in a crash. They are also not legal in states that require a Department of Transportation certification.
Jay T.
www.ridesafe.today.com