Custom top case

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

Custom top case

#1 Unread post by mgdavis »

I got tired of wearing my backpack during my commute, so I installed a custom rack case on my V-Strom today. I think I now have one of the more "distinctive" bikes in the area. :blink:

On the plus side, it cost thirty dollars for all the materials, which is just a touch cheaper than a Givi.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

RC DAVE
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by RC DAVE »

Mg looks like that will serve its purpose never have enough storage space i bungy my tank bag to the tail section also when it's on the tank it changes the areo's behind the windsheild big time. (big bag). I like the Vstrom ya don't see alot of them in florida. Very nice bike
SEMPER FI
05 RC-51
06 800 bulevard
05 XR- fiddy
WISH I HAD A 1098

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

Hahaha very nice mg! Now that's redneck engineering for ya! :laughing:
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by mgdavis »

It's difficult to see, but I used a cutting board as my mounting plate. 8)
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

redb1ker
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by redb1ker »

OMG. That is truly a custom install. I love the locks. Remember you only get about 15-20# storage, even if there is room left when you are packing. Can't have that Ugli beauty squatting under the weight.
Jay T.
www.ridesafe.today.com

Mr. Invisible
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by Mr. Invisible »

Now if that was truly redneck you would have added cup holders, (beer can holders.)

No need to go half way. :laughing:

redb1ker
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by redb1ker »

Mr. Invisible wrote: would have added cup holders, (beer can holders.):laughing:
Save the drink holders for the outside of your helmet.
Jay T.
www.ridesafe.today.com

SHADOW1100T
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by SHADOW1100T »

OK,,you been kidded and joked about but how about something serious, be careful how you load it, keep anything heavy on the bottom and pack it so it won't slide around, that trunk, which is a very clever solution to your problem) set very Hi and if things move around or weigh very much you could get a nasty surprise in a corner or a sudden evasive maneuver, be careful, be aware and most of all ride safe.
Ted

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#9 Unread post by jstark47 »

SHADOW1100T wrote:OK,,you been kidded and joked about but how about something serious, be careful how you load it, keep anything heavy on the bottom and pack it so it won't slide around, that trunk, which is a very clever solution to your problem) set very Hi and if things move around or weigh very much you could get a nasty surprise in a corner or a sudden evasive maneuver, be careful, be aware and most of all ride safe.
That could happen with any topbox designed for motorcycles, too. They sit up high.

Riding my wife's Trophy recently, I stopped at the store for a six pack. I thought I had it wedged in good - NOT!!! All the way home, those bottles banged and clanked around loose in the topbox, especially in the corners. I had visions of a topbox full of broken glass and suds by the time I got home - fortunately those were some tough beer bottles, no breakage! :D :beer:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#10 Unread post by mgdavis »

SHADOW1100T wrote:OK,,you been kidded and joked about but how about something serious, be careful how you load it, keep anything heavy on the bottom and pack it so it won't slide around, that trunk, which is a very clever solution to your problem) set very Hi and if things move around or weigh very much you could get a nasty surprise in a corner or a sudden evasive maneuver, be careful, be aware and most of all ride safe.
Contrary to popular opinion, I am not totally lacking in common sense. While I do appreciate everybody's concern, I have the basic concept of how things should be packed in the box.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!