Triumph T100 Bonneville

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by coffee_brake »

I just saw pics of a ratty old Honda whose header pipes looked new again!

The guy said all he did was wipe them down with oven cleaner "to dissolve the carbon," then he scrubbed them with aluminum foil and vinegar.

I'm going to try it on *my* ratty old Honda!
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

BonnieBabe
Rookie
Rookie

#12 Unread post by BonnieBabe »

Ive been told that there's a polish called 'blue job chrome polish' i havent tried it yet but I thought I might give it a go. Can get it on ebay.

J

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#13 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Bluejob works well too.

BTW, don't let the oven cleaner get on anything but the pipes, it eats aluminum, paint, and rubber. Spray it on a rag.
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

BonnieBabe
Rookie
Rookie

#14 Unread post by BonnieBabe »

:D

Thanks again

J

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#15 Unread post by MZ33 »

I'm hoping Triumph is going to be at the AMA Women's Conference--the T100 is high on my list of hoped-for demo rides.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#16 Unread post by Ryethil »

Social Distortion wrote:welcome
i love my 04 thruxton!
One of my dream bikes is a Thruxton. How do like yours? And would you suggest it to anyone else? Anything you would change on it.

I love Triumphs and have thought more than once about getting a new one. If I get to the AMA Women's show, I hope that Triumph is there glory...

Of course, if Norton shows, I'll be doubly blessed.
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2004 triumph thruxton

#17 Unread post by Social Distortion »

I've gotsay that the thrux was one of my dream bikes.
I love her so much- her name is Luna- short for Lunatic!!!
She's fast. Imma heavy boy and she pulls me like imma feather. On the highways, she pulls me w no problem.
She's so nimble too...I honestly feel so confident on her all the time.
I will say this- I am having some technical issues w her and when that happens, I'm emotionally upset. I won't take her to the dealer, which has made me a very good new mechanic. I'm doing things to the thrux that I never did w my older bikes.
So man old school guys come up to me and compliment the bike. Harley guys give me respect too. I see so many people checkin out the thrux cause they don't see it often.
Changes on her?? The handlebars do get some getting use to, but I've done a 300 mile trip and have been somewhat ok.
Fuel consumption is only ok, but I think its cause I open the throttle a lot...hehheee
Also, triumph clothing seems to be expensive too..
I'm 5'9 and sometimes I'm on my tip toes, so they are taller, but I heard the 09s are alittle shorter. Also, I'm a believer on fuel injection. Mine are carborators, but FI is superior...
Finally- 2004 thruxtons are the 1st and last year they are made in England, 05 and newer are made in taiwon I think so I honestly have British Iron!!
Asides that, I'm in love w my thruxton..I really am.
My other dream bike is a 2033 100th anniversary harley softail heritage springer in silver and black. That's what a bike should look like.
I'd also love to get a Street Bob....that's more of a realistic bike I can getin 5 years or so...
I love my thruxton!!
"Born to Lose and Destined to Fail"

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

Wow...

#18 Unread post by Ryethil »

Social Distortion wrote:I've gotsay that the thrux was one of my dream bikes.
I love her so much- her name is Luna- short for Lunatic!!!
She's fast. Imma heavy boy and she pulls me like imma feather. On the highways, she pulls me w no problem.
She's so nimble too...I honestly feel so confident on her all the time.
I will say this- I am having some technical issues w her and when that happens, I'm emotionally upset. I won't take her to the dealer, which has made me a very good new mechanic. I'm doing things to the thrux that I never did w my older bikes.
So man old school guys come up to me and compliment the bike. Harley guys give me respect too. I see so many people checkin out the thrux cause they don't see it often.
Changes on her?? The handlebars do get some getting use to, but I've done a 300 mile trip and have been somewhat ok.
Fuel consumption is only ok, but I think its cause I open the throttle a lot...hehheee
Also, triumph clothing seems to be expensive too..
I'm 5'9 and sometimes I'm on my tip toes, so they are taller, but I heard the 09s are alittle shorter. Also, I'm a believer on fuel injection. Mine are carborators, but FI is superior...
Finally- 2004 thruxtons are the 1st and last year they are made in England, 05 and newer are made in taiwon I think so I honestly have British Iron!!
Asides that, I'm in love w my thruxton..I really am.
My other dream bike is a 2033 100th anniversary harley softail heritage springer in silver and black. That's what a bike should look like.
I'd also love to get a Street Bob....that's more of a realistic bike I can getin 5 years or so...
I love my thruxton!!
:thankyousign:

I've got a ride set up for the Thuxton. A person that just joined the sport bike club wants to ride my Buell and I get to ride his Thuxton for the day. Will see what it is all about. Don't really like my baby in someone elses hands but its worth it to test ride the Thuxton.

Yeah, I heard the same thing about them being made in Taiwan so tht's sort of a bummer. On the other hand, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

I do most of my repairs myself. Dunno why. I guess I like to be part of all and everything of my bikes.
Just got to wait till Sunday. 8)
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: Wow...

#19 Unread post by jstark47 »

Social Distortion wrote: Finally- 2004 thruxtons are the 1st and last year they are made in England, 05 and newer are made in taiwon I think so I honestly have British Iron!!
Ryethil wrote:Yeah, I heard the same thing about them being made in Taiwan so tht's sort of a bummer. On the other hand, I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Not Taiwan. Thailand. Triumph has two factories, one in the UK, one in a suburb of Bangkok (Chonburi) in Thailand. The Thai operation was begun in 2002, with final assembly of some models beginning there in 2006.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2004 triumph thruxton

#20 Unread post by Social Distortion »

Well- enjoy your Triumph ride. I hope it takes your breath away.
The downside is that I'm sure there's lots of expectation and it doesn't let you down.
I tried a new triumph sprint and I wanted it to work since I saw lots of great reviews and I was sooo bummed out it didn't fit me the way I was hoping it would....took me a few days to get over it.
Thruxton note- thanks for the update on Taiwan/thailand.....hehee. The joke is that they are made better over there thank England...also, note that the 09 models are fuel injected and they don't have clip on handlebars, they use risers and a handlebar similar to the bonneville- you don't lean as much and its closer to you. It just depends on style and such.
Also, you don't see as many used thruxtons for sale often. I was lucky and a doctor friend of mine just didn't ride due to his schedule so he sold his to me.
Being in Chicago, I usually only see 2 thruxtons on craigslist per year. On ebay, I see about 2-3 per week, but usually expect to pay stop dollar as 04's usually sell for $5200......
Good luck- despite my carb issues, tearing that bike apart, lack of luggage space and its odd quirks, I love Luna so much that its unhealthy....hhehhehee
Give us a report on your impressions.....
"Born to Lose and Destined to Fail"