2006 Yamaha Royal Star has poor throttle response

jimmyblairnelson
Rookie
Rookie

2006 Yamaha Royal Star has poor throttle response

#1 Unread post by jimmyblairnelson »

:( this V-4 has a very complex Carburetor system and without understanding how each sub-system interacts with the whole, I am stumped. The engine starts and idles ok, but seems to have poor throttle response if lugged and if you are cruising and turn the throttle on, it will actually reduce power before accelerating. I have checked float levels (as best as one can), cleaned all four carbs, checked freedom of movement, checked TPS but could not adjust to limits (max resistance is 4680, ohms full throttle reads 1200 ohms and throttle closed is 4300 ohms) and ballanced the carbs. Fuel pump seams to work, choke seams to work. Any ideas??

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Honestly it sounds like either 1. Your accelerator pump isn't working. or 2. Your carbs are running too rich and flooding the engine when you whack open the throttle.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

jimmyblairnelson
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by jimmyblairnelson »

That was a good call, but I do not believe my bike has accelerator pumps! Another thing is that keeping the throttle in one spot, and approaching a small hill, it will start running poorly without changing the throttle. should rule out a pump.

I will take the bike out and when it starts loosing power, I will pull the choke out a bit and see if it improves (running too lean) or makes is worse (running too rich). My carbs are Mikuni BDSR32 (four of them!)
appreciate your feedback!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

Alright, I wasn't sure, I didn't happen to deal with the V-4s at all. But yeah, check with your choke and see what's going on. Shouldn't be too hard to fix once you figure out what's up.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

jimmyblairnelson
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by jimmyblairnelson »

Sure appreciate your response...will let you know. If you know anyone that has worked on a royalstar, let me know...this is a very complex bike! You can email me at emailjim@gorge.net...thanks

jimmyblairnelson
Rookie
Rookie

Motorcycle stumbled, pulled the choke out

#6 Unread post by jimmyblairnelson »

Wrider, just got back from riding it and when it was running poorly, I pulled the choke out and did not improve it except maybe under full choke! It started cold pretty easy and I am getting the feeling that the choke is not disengaging...will pull the carbs off and try to go through that system and see if I can see a problem. Jim

streaksf
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

royalstar tour deluxe 2006

#7 Unread post by streaksf »

I here you mine 2006 tour deluxe dont ride much, but issues with carbs i think. 1. must let warm up dont understand got 15 w heaters on each carb
2. had dealer replace plugs and they told me 1 carb was stuck and i should ride it more
3. i only use premiem gas
4. new fuel filter
5. still have issues not running smooth had to up the idle speed turning the screw to raise idle speed or it stalls even after riding for hours
CAN ANYONE HELP

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: royalstar tour deluxe 2006

#8 Unread post by Johnj »

streaksf wrote:2. had dealer replace plugs and they told me 1 carb was stuck and i should ride it more

CAN ANYONE HELP
You might try riding it more. :wink:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

jimmyblairnelson
Rookie
Rookie

Carb malfunction repaired!

#9 Unread post by jimmyblairnelson »

Just to let all interested know, I took those carbs off 3 times and totally went through them with no improvement! A mechanic that knows these engines told me that the brass caps that cover the idle jets (not mentioned the the repair manual because they are not to be 'screwed' with) were clogged with stale gas from the winter storage. $300 bucks later, he said he cleaned out the idle circuit and it runs fine now... He said if it happens again, I now know what to do. This close held secret is now out of the bag! Buy the way, this winter, I put stable in the fuel and ran the carbs dry and will run the engine once a month to keep seals working...