CC Ryder
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha Vstar

Goretex riding boots

#1 Unread post by CC Ryder »

I have been looking for over 1 year for a good pair of waterproof riding boots.
I would like a leather and goretex combination. Ones that lace up and have a zipper for easy on and off, and come just over the ankle would be nice. I have seen men's boots but have not been able to find women's boots that fit well. Living in the Vancouver, B.C. area I have gone to all the motorbike stores with no success. I have looked on line but possibly not at the right sights. Any suggestions? [/list]

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#2 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Well, you might have trouble finding that combination, I'm not sure.

I know my wife liked mens styled sneakers better than womens (she likes high tops) and she would adjust her shoe size and go ahead and buy a mens model.

The other thing are two of the I think three places I shop for stuff.
BikeBandit.com (although they are not primarily an accessory site, they sell parts as well).
NewEnough.com - is where I buy most of my stuff - but mostly because I'm cheapskate and they have tremendous closeout deals a lot of the time.

Good luck.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

Water/rain proof riding boots are an oxymoron, just like military intelligence or jumbo shrimp. The only boots that I have found to be totally water proof were the steel toed Wellington Boots I wore as a courier during Vancouver's wet fall to spring season.
Not the most eye catching fashion statement, but tootsies did stay dry. They had the added bonus of being great for kicking out tail light lens's or kicking in body panels of cages that tried to merge me into a line of park cars, being steel toed and all. :mrgreen:
Always ask why.

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#4 Unread post by RockBottom »

After trying many types of waterproof boots, I found all clammy and uncomfortable, particularly in warm weather. That even applied to high end ones like Gaerne. So I bought some boot covers for those rare instances when I need something waterproof. (They also help if you're riding in serious cold, and they take minimal room to store.)

http://www.amazon.com/TOUR-MASTER-CORTE ... 297&sr=8-3
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#5 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

You know, its funny - I don't really have a lot of problems with water in my boots. I've ridden in the rain with my Kawasaki, Ranger pants over boots (no waterproof liner in them) and Joe Rocket Meteor boots and I didn't notice an appreciable amount of water in them.

I've been in both crappy rain and through short bursts of torrential thunderstorm that I probably should have pulled over for... But I was afraid I'd get hit by a car sitting on the side of the road... And no overpasses, either.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#6 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I use the tourmaster boot covers. Lets you have an air boot (oh sweet merciful Gods of innovation) and switch to a waterproof as needed.

Also all my other "waterproof" boots were decidedly NOT waterproof.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#7 Unread post by dr_bar »

My "Willy G's" in the Harley line up are Gortex lined leather boots, best money spent on gear ever. Feet are always dry regardless of the weather...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#8 Unread post by slimcolo »

I have had two pairs of totally waterproof boots. (when new) One pair Joe Rocket (style no longer made) and one pair of Vasque hiking boots (made by Red Wing in their SLC factory) Both were waterproof for about 5 years and then started leaking where sole is attached to upper. (other than no longer waterproof both remain in good condition after 12 years)

The Vasque had the gortex liner and made feet really sweat in hot weather. Unlike the Joe Rocket and most bike boots Red Wing stuff comes in AAA thru EEE width. (but most Vasque hiking boots use a sizing insole that costs around $20, I use the Vasque insoles, from Red Wing, in the Joe Rocket boots to make up for the WIDE D width)

Two other options are Totes (this is just one brand) and Gortex socks. Totes are just tight fitting overshoes designed for motorsport use, and can be had at many bike shops or mail order. (Areostich and Wulderwench an d others) Campmor and Gart Brothers carry the Gortex Socks. Both cost about $30 AND there is always the old school way, plastic bread sacks.
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#9 Unread post by paul246 »

When riding in wet weather I wear Cabela's Gortex Socks inside my combat boots. Totally waterproof.

I've ridden these in water so deep that my Valkyrie's tires would force so much water out on each side that my feet would be literally water blasted off the pegs. Did that for hours and my feet stayed dry.
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

XB08
Legendary
Legendary

#10 Unread post by XB08 »

If you are looking for a good boot that is leather and goretex combination. Bmw dealers have one or then did. I think they are at a high price, but if you like then the cost dose not matter.