WHAT HAVE U HIT IN THE ROAD

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#11 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

A piece of landscaping timber... at 80mph

Kept the bike up bike upright (gyroscopic force!) but the impact bent and CRACKED my front rim, letting the air out of the tire.

The story is my most recent entry the end of my "Rockster blog": viewtopic.php?t=10290

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#12 Unread post by ceemes »

apart from almost running into a black bear a couple of years back, the scariest close call I had was when I just started riding, was flying down the highway, well flying as well as a Honda CM400 can hauling a 200 lbs rider about and a sheet of plywood flew loose from the back of the pick up truck I was behind, had to brake hard, again as hard as it is possible for a Honda CM400 with only drum brakes can brake and rode onto the grass meridian.

It was brown trousers time.......
Always ask why.

xlineshooter
Rookie
Rookie

what have I hit with my bike

#13 Unread post by xlineshooter »

I'm in thailand (but American), and leaving a village, I hit a medium sized dog. The rule here is to hit the dog and maintin control. We aren't going to lock up our brakes or swerve into greater peril just to miss a dog. There are so many dogs in the roads here we don;t even stop for them anymore after we hit them.

Thailand has some of the best biker roads in the world, so come visit us someday. We have a "Home-Stay" ($20/day incl. meals) and I will take you on some great rides.

xlineshooter
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder"

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#14 Unread post by RockBottom »

I'll throw in a squirrel story from a couple of months ago. So it was not WHAT I hit that was unusual, but HOW.

I was going 65 or so and saw the squirrel juking in front of me. I decided that since I couldn't predict what he was going to do, I'd just keep on the throttle and let him control his own fate.

He must have seen me at the last second and his instinct was to jump. This made him hit right on the toe of my boot, which launched him straight up into the air. I'm sure he never felt a thing.

I did make a mental note to myself on just how motorcycling has changed me. Before I rode, I never used to kick small animals to death.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#15 Unread post by follow »

How about a flaming cigarette Butt...... :evil:
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#16 Unread post by BuzZz »

I haven't hit anything nasty on a streetbike. I have nailed hidden rocks and a few tree stumps on dirtbikes before, ripped the rear caliper off a CR-500 on a rock once, but that's about it. I do nail every gopher I can on the FJ, but that's on purpose and I count it as community service. Vermin control. And gophers ain't that big so it isn't very dangerous, just means I have to wash off the bellypan.

Never hit a bear (that has to rate as major suckage) but I've had a few close calls with deer (more vermin around here). So far I have managed to get lucky with Bambi, but if I ever do tag something, I lay money it will be a dam deer that does me in.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

sv-wolf
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#17 Unread post by sv-wolf »

I haven't had any problems hitting things on the road (apart from a stanley knife blade and a couple of nails which lodged in my tyre) but I have had problems from the air.

On a gusty day, about four years ago, a huge restaurant umbrella got caught by the wind and was carried upwards for about thirty feet. I saw it happen as I was riding slowly by. As I watched, fascinated, I suddenly realised it was coming back down again, fast, shaft first, and straight at me. I accelerated at the last minute and it hit the road only a few feet behind my rear tyre.
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#18 Unread post by BuzZz »

Yeah, airborne attacks are more of a concern for me too, Hud. I lost count of how many birds have picked me and a bike as their preferred method of ending it all. Most aren't too bad (for me) but I hit a dam crow a couple of years ago that turned himself inside-out all over my head and chest. That was a bloody mess...... and now all the Americans are saying 'of course it was bloody' but the Britts and Canuckleheads get it...... :mrgreen:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

HD1200C
Rookie
Rookie

#19 Unread post by HD1200C »

I've been riding for a while, and luckily the largest thing/animal I've hit was a frog. Back when I had my Shadow. I remembered hitting it, then about a week later I went to the garage and it smelled so bad. I wondered what it was and got to looking. Come to find out the frog had gotten wedged underneath the radiator some how....sucker smelled bad.
Don't squat with your spurs on.

CYNWAGON
Elite
Elite

#20 Unread post by CYNWAGON »

I got into to trouble for NOT hitting the cat that came across the road on the weekend. :roll: Hubby hates cats and couldn't understand why I slowed down. My only response was - I just washed my bike, all I could think of was the frog story! :lol:
'08 Suzuki M50 Yellow & Grey (she's my bumblebee)